Great Response From Elddis

BradleyWiggins

Hi All

Bit of long story so I will try to be concise.

We have a leak in our 2013 Avante. Discovered water had collected on the underside of the plastic garden table that we store on the bed when not in use. Luckily this had stopped any water getting on the furnishings and causing any damage. Spoke to our dealer (Sussex Caravans East) and they said there had been a few issues with the Heki roof lights we have on our van and that there will probably be a hairline crack in the surround. Sure enough there was and I taped it over and kept the van tilted backwards to stop water collecting in the area before we could get to dealer for a fix.

Got van back to Sussex and they found and sealed cracks in both or Heki's and told us that as soon as we have a free week they will get the van taken away to Elddis's designated repairer in the south to get the Heki's changed and any other work need due to water ingress sorted out, all under the warranty and at no cost to us.

We have been away such a lot recently that the full fix hadn't been done before we were away on our annual 2 weeks holiday in wet Wales! As you may have already guessed the first Sunday bought heavy rain and upon retiring to bed found a wet patch forming on the sheets due to water dripping from the Heki surround. Wife was beside herself as we switched to the front bed and laid out bin bags and a saucepan to collect the drips. In her annoyed state she left angry message on the Elddis Facebook page. Next morning the rain had abated and I called Sussex Caravans to see what could be done. They were very sorry but due to the distance they couldn't do a lot but suggested calling a mobile caravan service engineer to sort out whatever needed doing to allow us to carry on our holiday in the dry and they would cover the cost. Called out local guy Roger Ewell of RAE Caravan Services who turned up within 30 mins and promptly diagnosed a second hairline crack on the rear Heki surround. This he sealed up with silicone and we were back in business. Meanwhile Elddis customer services had responded to my wife's FB message and called us to say that had spoken to our dealer and sent them 2 new Heki's so they could be fitted as soon as we got back from hols and also to offer us a free service when it is due next March.

Now I know it would preferable if the Heki's hadn't leaked in the first place but given that they did both Sussex Caravans and Elddis have responded in a swift and positive manner and contrary to many post on here our dealings with Elddis have proved them to be very helpful and proactive in dealing with us.

PS we have had plenty of rain since and there is no sign of any further leaks and I am looking forward to getting the new Heki's installed next week. Also the blame for our problem rests squarely on the roof light. There is no evidence whatsoever that we have any problem with the SoLiD construction or the bonding system.

Stuart

formerly ClassikFan

That is good to hear.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Good reaction fro Elddis, i haven't needed them yet as my new van fine but if I do this gives me confidence, thanks

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

You are right, things shouldn't go wrong but things do and the key is how the problems are dealt with - always nice to hear a good news story. :)

Good service - long may it continue where required

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Nice one Stewart, a positive story about Elddis at last. ...

We've now had our van since Avante 636 since Feb. ... Not a single thing to complain about. ....yet. ..!,,

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

Elddis have come in for a lot of stick on this forum and some of it is probably justified however, and even though my caravan is now just over 7 years old, the factory in Consett have dealt with some serious issues that were discovered (and reported on this forum) at the units first service in my ownership last September.

Within the last few weeks we have had an issue with a (unbeknown to me) leaking tap on the kitchen worktop. The top now resembles the lower reaches of the Cairngorm mountains having soaked up the leaking water but Elddis are making a new top for me and at very reasonable cost, this will then be fitted by Crossley in Leyland and so I am very happy with how this manufacturer has responded to my cries for help.

This will not necessarily be the case for everyone but I can only speak from my own experience. :D

"at very reasonable cost"...? Surely it should be free? Now that is a reasonable cost considering the damage is done by issues with the van surely?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

"at very reasonable cost"...? Surely it should be free? Now that is a reasonable cost considering the damage is done by issues with the van surely?

I'm not sure you can expect free repairs for everything on a 7 year old caravan - my thinking being that if this was a kitchen fitted in a house I doubt a guarantee would cover a leaking tap after 7 years. Other's thoughts?

Its way out of its warranty period gents and the one offered by the dealer was pathetic, besides that one ran out in August last year so this is down to me but my insurers are covering the cost apart from the very reasonable £50 excess

What is interesting here and maybe a warning to others is that the leak was insidious in that it was not leaking all of the time and the water that was leaking was coming out around the back of the tap and because the seal between tap base and worktop was not good the water was finding its way into the work top material

Anyway new tap fitted to lumpy work top but I have never seen a top misshape so quickly and to the point where the seals around the sink have parted company with the top. Unbelievable but maybe the top is made of blotting paper or similar

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of our Elddis customers report excellent customer service. Of course all manufacturers are suffering with problems of late but the way in which manufacturers are dealing with the problems is the gauge on customer importance. Elddis for the most part have very good turnarounds and relatively short wait times on repairs unlike some manufactures who our customers are reporting waiting times of up to 7 months before problems can be rectified.

Scott

Northwest regional assesor

Our Avante was delivered to the dealer today to have 2 new Heki roof lights fitted. As it is a dealer special it had 2 large ones. The complete unit is being replaced not just the cracked surround. I would just like to reiterate the fact that our leaks have been due to the cracked surround of the Heki and not any failing in the SoLiD bonding system which I still have every faith in.

formerly ClassikFan

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this thread - maybe elddis are finally trying to rebuild confidence after the previous problems on here :)

Certainly hoping the numerous defects on my new storm get sorted as easily in October when it goes back to the dealer or I might have to join the dreaded FB too :lol:

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

• 2 years later...

Well well well, all is not as it seems.

Back in November 2013 my caravan went back to Elddis for some serious damp issues to be resolved. They replaced all of the rear floor, sorted some de-lamination and fixed the N/S inner wall which had bowed. Now however following a service carried out 3 weeks ago there is damp in the rear floor area that is apparently quite serious.

Elddis say that they have no record. either emails or otherwise concerning the communication that was had with a now departed employee with whom all of this work was arranged. During the repair they apparently broke the rear panel which was replaced along with the fitting of new decals and a set of mud flaps. The now departed employee verbally assured me that there would be a warranty of either 3 or 5 years on the repair so where do we go from here I wonder.

The caravan is going back to Glossop Caravans in a few weeks for their opinion but I dont hold out any hope of them following up on the Elddis repair. Its a shame really because at the end of this year we were going to view some of the latest Elddis models with a view to a change but now I reckon that will not go ahead. Strange isnt it that there appears to be no record of any emails or paperwork

Dear Mr Edgington

Further to your email of recent date regarding your 2007 Odyssey 505 caravan.

As a company we would like to advise that the manufacturers warranty would have expired on the 7th March 2012 for water ingress and we have no information on our system in relation to any extended warranty or any emails or communication from Mr Alan Bateman.

We do acknowledge your natural feeling of disappointment and are sorry that we cannot offer a more favourable reply.

Kindest regards

Kirsty Smith
Customer Care Department

Im mot sure with ur dates. U say it was repaired in 2013. when 6 years old. if the vans warranty expired in 2012. how did they repair it in 2013 ???.even if the employee was still there or not they would have records of a repair surley.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

The majority of our Elddis customers report excellent customer service. Of course all manufacturers are suffering with problems of late but the way in which manufacturers are dealing with the problems is the gauge on customer importance. Elddis for the most part have very good turnarounds and relatively short wait times on repairs unlike some manufactures who our customers are reporting waiting times of up to 7 months before problems can be rectified.

Scott

Northwest regional assesor

Elddis service is atrocious I have an Insurance claim which was authorised in mid June and the repairing dealer is still awaiting some of the parts. Its for a 2015 Affinity.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

We have also had problems with our 2013 Avante 540. First the front roof light leaked and was replaced (6mths after purchase), it then leaked again this year and was replaced. The roof light over the rear fixed bed leaked last year and was replaced. We have also had damp around the toilet, and in the front locker where the rain had tracked from the roof light. In addition the sink rusted, the tap leaked and needed replacing; the back panel in the shower spit horizontally and was replaced, and the rear panel on the outside of the caravan needed replacing completely due to a hair line crack. After a little bit of hassle in 2013, Elddis have since been really good. They extended our warranty as we had so many problems and up to now we haven't had to pay for repairs. However, ive had enough of what seems like constant problems and im off to the caravan show to replace it.

Surprised to see this thread resurface, subsequent to the leaky sunrooms in 2014 we had the common cracked rear panel, spotted and replaced by the dealer at a service. This year the sunrooms started leaking again and we had another replacement. Great service in putting things right from our dealer but we have since got rid and turned our backs on uk built shoddy caravans and purchased an Adria instead. So far so good, no issues yet.

formerly ClassikFan

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update if anyone is interested. Firstly it seems that the original warranty ran out at the end of 2013 which is why Elddis were happy to carry out the repair.

Bringing us smartly up to date the caravan has significant levels of damp around the rear floor and yes this is the floor which Elddis replaced along with a whole new rear panel back at the end of 2013. The level of damp is very high according to Glossop Caravans where the damn thing was purchased. I have been given a price of, wait for it,

£1500 + VAT

to fix it. It would appear that the problem is exactly the same on as that which it went back to Elddis for in the first place. They have now washed their hands of the matter and so have Glossop Caravans. Now being a realist I accept that any warranty does not go on for ever but should I be expecting the same problem to reoccur after such a major repair job less than 3 years ago

Big decision time ahead. Pay the money and maybe we will be damp free for a while because no one is going to warranty a repair for longer than 12 months even at that price. Get rid of it and take a hit on either trade in or selling it to a dealer for cash.

My word and this is supposed to be an inexpensive way to enjoy life. Sorry but I dont think so. Cheap holiday maybe but an expensive hobby.

Edited by Johnedg

Johnedg if trading, maybe look at another dealership. The concern here is spending the £1500 and then the damp reoccuring again in 2 to 3 years however you want now have the protection of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which is far better than the Sale of Goods Act.

i would be looking at another ave. when it leaked the first time before correction. where did they say it leaked. surely they gave a reason for the leak. not just fix it and hope it dont leak again. if they did say where it was leaking from is say a specific joint or something that was causing the leak,then,is it the same place this time. if it is the same faulty area, then it was not recitified in the first place prperly. there fore causing this known fault again.

if this is correct then i know where i would be spending my money. in a small claims court i. e. moneyclaims online. cost £25. and if u do,under no circumstances let either of them know youve done it. take it from me,i took on eon and won,when they came to my house and said they were the cheapest for gas and electric. big mistake when they said oh take us to court. so i did.

set your self a goal to win and not be defeated. fill out the form online give a explanation and thats basically it. they will do the leg work for you and then await a court case. dont be beat. you will get self satisfaction in doing it.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

Thanks gents for your replies. I am taking the caravan to Crossleys on the first Saturday of December for their professional opinion and damp report. I trust these guys so lets see what they have to say.

In the meantime I have attached a couple of photos of the original issue and the effect that it had on the underneath of the floor. Elddis reckoned that all of this was caused by the awning infill strip being stapled to the floor in each corner. The new strip is spaced with a plastic spacer so that now there is no direct contact.

They told me that water was simply tracking along the strip and making contact with the floor on a continual basis. I have my doubts about this but this was the condition of the floor just 12 months after we purchased it from Glossop Caravans. My common sense tells me that this did not happen over the first 12 months of our ownership from when we purchased it in 2012

My gut is telling me that this caravan is actually badly built and that we are the purchasers of something that did not have a full PDI and that it was damp when we bought it but of course it was our first and so I placed some trust in the sellers

sorry but I cant get the photos to be the right way up

post-59543-0-11005200-1477068393_thumb.jpg

post-59543-0-84104700-1477068414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johnedg

Stapling the infill underneath has always been a rot problem, its much better to have a few inches hanging down to act as a drainpipe.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)