Off To Spain & Portugal

We left Cheshire this morning to go to Portsmouth to get the ferry to Santander.

It was pouring with rain and was only 9 degrees. It did not feel like hitching up for a summer holiday.

By the time we'd reached Birmingham the sun came out and other than the odd shower the weather improved and its just going dark after a lovely sunset somewhere south of the Isle of White.

When we got to the port I was surprised to see the check in staff measuring the length of motorhomes and caravans.

The lanes all have markers at what looked like 500 & 1000 mm. The operator next to our lane kept coming out of her booth and counted the graduations for each vehicle she was booking in.

When we came to book in the operator came out with a tape measure and placed it along the floor to measure our caravan. When done she said everything was OK!!

In 20 years of travelling on ferries I've not seen this before.

I don't know if this says something about Britanny ferries or the travelling public??

Anyway, let's hope the weather is kind for the next 7 weeks and I can get on the Internet to read Caravan Talk!

Russ

There's only one word I can say ENJOY, and two more BON ROUTE, we will be on your tail, we leave home on Sunday for Spain

Les

Les

We start off tomorrow (Thursday) but going via our FOL in midlands and a stop at Sheerness to see family then Eurostar and France. Arrive Camping Aquarius 1st September but sadly only in Spain till 7th October when we get ferry from Bilbao. I wanted to go on to Benidorm again but was outvoted by a majority which means missus wins as between us she has casting vote so 1-1 = 2-1 if you see what I mean. Mind you I am off on 1st world war battlefields tour in November and will be at Mennin Gate on Armistice night for centenary ceremony so can't complain.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Russ - just reading your post, I think I may have been talking to you in Spain on Thursday just gone?! Either that there is someone doing something very similar! I was near Oyambre beach with a Bailey GT65 Ancona and sadly went home Friday morning!

Anyway, safe travels :)

Baz

Hi Baz

Yes that was me. What a small world!!

The weather has picked up and has been warm & sunny today.

Looks like you got home OK.

Strange that you were telling me that you were going home on LD lines ferry and I'd not heard of them. Next they were on the news that they were cancelling their service from next month.

Russ

We were measured at Portsmouth this year,the first time ever. I assumed there were markers on the road although I could not see them.

Luckily I had put on the booking form the correct caravan length as our new caravan which is longer than our previous van,I must say I nearly forgot to do that when I booked and altered the original booking form later to show the new extra length,glad I did.

Any one been caught with incorrect measurments ? I expect there will be an extra extra cost if you have stated an incorrect length.

I have been measured several times and I am always longer than I have stated, they tell me to get it right next time and let me through.

I always tell them I did not learn metric at school so I am confused, after living in spain for 15 years I still use a feet and inches tape measure, and I still do a lot of building work.

Came through Portsmouth yesterday never saw any measuring tapes,although I noticed new white marks painted

on the ground near the booths about a foot apart. (BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING) ;):D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

We had bikes on the roof a couple of weeks ago and they wanted to charge us an extra £100 bot

We took them off and put them in the van. Always check your measurements, lesson learnt.

Never had any issues with bikes before but Brittany at Portsmouth seemed a bit prickly.