Help On Tow Car

Big DL

Hi, totally new to this forum and caravanning in general.

Bought a cheap Compass Rallye 460 (1991) and now in the market for a new car, the scenic DCI was due too be sold anyway but after towing we realised how bad it was.

Anyway we are torn between two cars, both 4 x 4, should we buy a 2. 2 diesel Rav 4 or the new style 2014 Nissan X trail 1. 6 dci. I was thinking 16 sounds too small but it has a 2000Kg max tow weight but is only 1650kg kerb weight.

I know both will easily pull our caravan as only 950 KG but would like to future proof for something bigger

Wife really wants the X trail but I don't want to spend 30K only to find out later its no good.

Hope your a friendly bunch and can offer some advice.

Thanks

Hi Big DL and welcome to CT, I think both would be good tow cars but If it was me deciding I would go for the Rav4, main reason being, if in the near future you get the caravan bug big time and want something heavier you'd be ok towcar wise.

Edited by F185

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Welcome and I agree that the bigger engine would be best. Some people on this forum think a 1. 6 engine is only just enough.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 4 weeks later...