Front Window Curtain Rail Replacement

We have a 2001 Swift Charisma 220. With the passage of time the bottom curtain rail which runs from side to side along the front of the caravan has widened in various places which means that the curtains pop out of the rung. I have replaced the tape on each of the front curtains but they still jump out.

Conclusion is I need to replace the curtain rail. It looks as though its screwed in and glued. My worry is if I unscrew it and remove it and clean away the old glue, will I be able to fix a new length in the same place. Will the new screws go back into the old holes?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

2014 Skoda Superb Estate 4x4 diesel automatic /2001 Swift Charisma 220. Caravaning since 1975 (Monza 1400 CT; Viking Fiberline; Bucaneer Elan 14; Bucaneer Elan 15; Elddis Huracane; Lunar Delta 610/4; Swift Charisma 220) How time flies. I do all the towing.

We keep our curtains tied back. We just use the blinds and fly screens. If you didn't use them either then for a quick bodge you could use something to close the lower channel up like some sellotape or something either side of the tied back curtains.

Or not. ..... ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

A year 2000 van may not have pull down blinds so he may have to have curtains.

Last week I lay in bed and asked SWMBO why modern caravans have curtains. We have no answer.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Last week I lay in bed and asked SWMBO why modern caravans have curtains. We have no answer.

Cos they look pretty?

They have pull down blinds that's not the problem. I can live with having to pull the curtains away to one side. I just want them not to be floating about when I come to make the beds up. If they were fixed by the pops they would stay where I positioned them.

2014 Skoda Superb Estate 4x4 diesel automatic /2001 Swift Charisma 220. Caravaning since 1975 (Monza 1400 CT; Viking Fiberline; Bucaneer Elan 14; Bucaneer Elan 15; Elddis Huracane; Lunar Delta 610/4; Swift Charisma 220) How time flies. I do all the towing.

If you have blinds why don't you remove them altogether, I am thinking of doing that in mine as I don't see the reason for having them anymore they just hang there and serve no purpose other than being cosmetic. If that is not an option for you and you want a new rail, then buy the next size screws (width wise) to be sure you will get them to grip again.

We took our front curtains out as we've never used them in all the years we've had the van, we did try using them but they were such a fiddle to pull with top and bottom plastic runners, tis easier just to pull the blind down and it's opened up the front of the van letting more light in

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Many thanks for your responses. Thanks in particular to Digger_07 for the suggestion about larger screws.

Buy a box of matches and use a piece of matchstick to plug each hole the screw will then bite with the wood from the matchstick taking up any play. Always works for me

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Good one Easy T - thank you.