Faultless

MPG

Returned from France at the weekend and after 2000 miles most of which was towing I can't fault the Smax.

That included some long and steep hills and 4 hours on the A86 around Paris in 37 degree heat.

Fuel consumption was calculated at 22 mpg or 22. 5 mpg on the computer, which is certainly better than the Jeep at 18 mpg. I am sure this would improve if I could actually go a bit slower but I can't help doing 60!

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Can't disrespect the blue oval. ................

;);)

Nice to see its working for you. I take it you had no trouble with the hill after the medway bridge. ............. :)

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I get around the equivalent of that that in my V8 Disco 2 on LPG . . and I only paid £6k for it 5 years ago . . suits me

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Can't disrespect the blue oval. ................

;);)

Nice to see its working for you. I take it you had no trouble with the hill after the medway bridge. ............. :)

Went M6, M42, M40, M25, M26, M20 both ways and have no recollection of any serious hills!

I get 28mpg towing my 514 . Same engine as the smax

It's the auto but I think I may have calculated wrong and included the full up before we left and when we got home as well.

To be fair it's loaded to the hilt with bikes on the roof, three kids a 3. 5m deep awning plus steel poles and the van up to its MTPLM.

It's the auto but I think I may have calculated wrong and included the full up before we left and when we got home as well.

To be fair it's loaded to the hilt with bikes on the roof, three kids a 3. 5m deep awning plus steel poles and the van up to its MTPLM.

I never have that much, and I have a manual

The 2. 2 TDCi uses the old Aisin 6 speed conventional auto as the Powershift Auto can't take the torque. The old Aisin box is smooth and has proven reliability but isn't as efficient as the newer auto boxes so economy does suffer especially when under load and at lower speeds when the torque converter isn't locked.

Still a better option than Ford's Powershift dual clutch boxes which have variable reliability.

Aisin now offer an improved 6 speed box and an 8 speed box for transverse engines and ZF offer a 9 speed conventional auto for transverse engine models. All would fit the Mondeo/S-Max/Galaxy but no sign of Ford changing from the old box yet.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Returned from France at the weekend and after 2000 miles most of which was towing I can't fault the Smax.

That included some long and steep hills and 4 hours on the A86 around Paris in 37 degree heat.

Fuel consumption was calculated at 22 mpg or 22. 5 mpg on the computer, which is certainly better than the Jeep at 18 mpg. I am sure this would improve if I could actually go a bit slower but I can't help doing 60!

Mike

60??? No wonder it took so long to get round paris!!

Mike

I can hear your words now " I'll never tow with a 4 pot " who are you and where's the real Mike??!!!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

I can hear your words now " I'll never tow with a 4 pot " who are you and where's the real Mike??!!!

Circumstances. ....... Do miss the V6 but to be fair the unit in the ford is nearly as powerful and nearly as uneconomical, just lacks the sound track.

I would have been delighted to batter round the A86 at 60. ..........

Ha! I know what you mean! The economy is similar to the disco dragging the tempest!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

Ha! I know what you mean! The economy is similar to the disco dragging the tempest!

I don't think my habit of going up hills in 4th pulling 3000rpm helps, but whilst it copes anything less feels a bit laboured.

The 2. 2 TDCi uses the old Aisin 6 speed conventional auto as the Powershift Auto can't take the torque. The old Aisin box is smooth and has proven reliability but isn't as efficient as the newer auto boxes so economy does suffer especially when under load and at lower speeds when the torque converter isn't locked.

Still a better option than Ford's Powershift dual clutch boxes which have variable reliability.

Aisin now offer an improved 6 speed box and an 8 speed box for transverse engines and ZF offer a 9 speed conventional auto for transverse engine models. All would fit the Mondeo/S-Max/Galaxy but no sign of Ford changing from the old box yet.

Lee

Lee

Do you know what speeds / gears the converter locks up at?

Having checked my figures 22 mpg was right which whilst not great is about what I would expect from what is a fairly old engine / gearbox combo more tuned for performance than economy.

However any improvement or betterment would be gratefully accepted. .......

Mike

I had an S Max diesel as a hire car recently when I was working over in Norway and have to say I was well impressed with everything about it to be honest especially the build quality and the responsiveness of the engine. Not sure I would be confident to tow mine with one though.

I only towed my Barcelona once with the D4 before the car was written off - 200 mile round trip to Billing Aquadrome and returned pretty much bang on 20mpg. I have just done a touch over a thousand miles with my new 2014 Outlaw loaded to the gunnels and returned 26mpg. It does have a DTUK tuning box fitted which gives it around 270bhp and 475ftlb's torque and better fuel economy when pootling about too.

And I must admit I had to fit air-ride self levelling air suspension to get it anywhere approaching the D4's ride quality

Lee

Do you know what speeds / gears the converter locks up at?

Having checked my figures 22 mpg was right which whilst not great is about what I would expect from what is a fairly old engine / gearbox combo more tuned for performance than economy.

However any improvement or betterment would be gratefully accepted. .......

Mike

Individual manufactures can adjust the software as required for there individual vehicles.

On Ford's with the Aisin I believe the lockup clutch can engage from 1500rpm in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. But depending on load the lockup is delayed in 3rd and 4th. I had the Aisin in a Citroen C5 with the 2. 0TDCi engine.

Compare that to a modern ZF8HP which can lockup from 1200rpm in 1st, open for 1st to 2nd change, lockup from 1200rpm in 2nd and remain locked through to 8th. Together with 8 ratios keeping the engine in the optimum rev range it's easy to see where the extra economy is achieved and how these boxes are more economical than a manual.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Not sure I would be confident to tow mine with one though.

Can't see it being any bother. The Smax is a 92% match for the Barcelona with 200 BHP and 420 tourques on tap.

It's as steady as a rock with our Pegasus including some fairly heavy winds on Sunday heading to Calais.

Mike

Individual manufactures can adjust the software as required for there individual vehicles.

On Ford's with the Aisin I believe the lockup clutch can engage from 1500rpm in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. But depending on load the lockup is delayed in 3rd and 4th. I had the Aisin in a Citroen C5 with the 2. 0TDCi engine.

Compare that to a modern ZF8HP which can lockup from 1200rpm in 1st, open for 1st to 2nd change, lockup from 1200rpm in 2nd and remain locked through to 8th. Together with 8 ratios keeping the engine in the optimum rev range it's easy to see where the extra economy is achieved and how these boxes are more economical than a manual.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee

Can't see it being any bother. The Smax is a 92% match for the Barcelona with 200 BHP and 420 tourques on tap.

It's as steady as a rock with our Pegasus including some fairly heavy winds on Sunday heading to Calais.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Being total newbie to towing a caravan I stuck rigidly to the 85% advice. Following this guideline did lead me to disregard a lot of vehicles when we came to replace the D4, which in hindsight would have been suitable including my preferred choice the SQ5 . Plus I needed something capable of dragging a horse box with a 16. 3 warm blood down dirt tracks etc. and my wife to have a high degree of confidence in the vehicle so it had to be 4wd realistically.

I get 28 to 29 pulling 1600 Kg with an X3 with the eight speed Auto-box, chuffed to bits with it

Les

Les

Hi Mike,

Being total newbie to towing a caravan I stuck rigidly to the 85% advice. Following this guideline did lead me to disregard a lot of vehicles when we came to replace the D4, which in hindsight would have been suitable including my preferred choice the SQ5 . Plus I needed something capable of dragging a horse box with a 16. 3 warm blood down dirt tracks etc. and my wife to have a high degree of confidence in the vehicle so it had to be 4wd realistically.

Fair comment, one thing it's not good at is towing on anything other than hard surfaces.