C O Detector

Durbanite

Will a CO detector alert you if you have a gas leak in the caravan? We are a little concerned as on our second service the mobile technician picked up a gas leak inside the caravan. It seems that this gas leak should have been picked up on the 1st service at the dealership but was missed.

We have never had a CO detector fitted in any of our caravans as felt there was no need and in the current one we have ALDE heating. However we are going to start using more and more off grid sites and using gas so want to make 100% sure no mishaps etc.

Are they worth buying given our circumstances and the caravan being fairly new?

Unfortunately the answer re. Detect gas leak is no. Gas is odurless and they add the "smell" when bottled. Co is a by product from burnt fuel, personally I would buy one anyway if your planning using gas more.

We have just purchased one from argos product No 700/1617 hope this helps.

NO. A Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm will only warn you of incomplete combustion of something. Mandatory now to be fitted in new homes and caravans as well as smoke alarms.

Google for < LPG gas detector > if you want something to detect a gas leak and you'll find a lot (quite a few are mains powered though so check the specs)... however properly installed maintained and regularly checked caravans present very low hazards in this respect (leaks). The choice is yours, though. What price safety / reassurance / peace of mind?

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

As said you can smell gas if it's leaking but carbon monoxide is a silent killer and I urge everyone to install one, it's as important as a smoke detector, I've done lots of research into them thro work and for my own personnel reference and there is a conflict of thought on where to place them, some say CO is heavier than air so place detector low down others say it's lighter so place it up high, but CO mixes with the air in the room and depends on the temp if it sinks or rises. Best place to keep one is at head level when sitting down, so half way up the van is ideal.

Sorry for lecture but have attended a few incident involving CO poisoning.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Very wary of purchasing anything from Argos due to hig number of returns we have had with them due to faulty goods. However is the Kidde detector a reputable brand?

BTW where is the best place to fit it in a caravan and at what level?

Edited by DeltaTIowner

I got one of these - Honeywell are a reputable manufacturer.

Our original one, which expired, was placed above the exit door by the caravan manufacturer, alongside the smoke detector.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B003BNNZTQ/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

Land Rover is now back towing.

Good info on here:

http://www. co-angels. co. uk/

And if you facebook https://www. facebook. com/COAngels/info

My Orion came fitted with a FireAngel CO detector. I also have two, FireAngels installed in my house.

Got them at Screwfix http://www. screwfix. com/search?search=carbon+monoxide+detector

430153_332329236808488_1883218531_n.jpg

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Very wary of purchasing anything from Argos due to hig number of returns we have had with them due to faulty goods. However is the Kidde detector a reputable brand?

I've got mine just above the work top level on a small self, it's stuck there at the moment with Blu-Tac and it hasn't fallen off yet.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

The one in our 2013 Model Year Pegasus 2 is at almost roof level next to the entry door, just above the smoke alarm and above the master 12V control panel. Not ideal as the flashing power check leds can be seen from the bedroom (or could before I modified them ;0)

Kidde (Firex) is a reputable brand (just got their 10-year life battery optical smoke plus CO alarm off ebay for £24 the pair delivered). Kidde say they should be a minimum of 3 metres from any potential source of CO (fires, boiler, hob, oven, oil or gas room heaters) - which is virtually impossible in most caravans - to minimise false alarms. They also suggest they can be table mounted. So basically anywhere -- it is essential they can be heard and will wake you if any combustions source may be operated at night. (More an issue for where to have one or more at home).

You can get combined smoke and CO alarms as well (both units in the same housing) from most makers.

Most alarms need replacing after 10 years or so from manufacture/first use. There should be a date on them with that info.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I got one of these - Honeywell are a reputable manufacturer.

Our original one, which expired, was placed above the exit door by the caravan manufacturer, alongside the smoke detector.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B003BNNZTQ/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

Thanks. I have now bought one of those Honeywell EN450EN.

Carbon monoxide detector should be fitted high but 150mm from ceiling, and away from any source of draft such as vent or window. If it's too low you'll be dead before it goes peep. Worth bearing in mind if you have a van with a high bunk.

I was nearly killed a few years ago at an event, i was in a tent with two others, the source was a gas fridge we had in the tent full of beer. Seem totally mad now, but then we didn't give it a though. 7 hours on oxygen in hospital for the thee of us. We was the luckiest people alive that day. The doctor told us it was the drink that save us, due to all the nature calls we had though the night. I have never experienced anything like it nor do i ever want to ever again. Get a detector.

Will a CO detector alert you if you have a gas leak in the caravan? We are a little concerned as on our second service the mobile technician picked up a gas leak inside the caravan. It seems that this gas leak should have been picked up on the 1st service at the dealership but was missed.

We have never had a CO detector fitted in any of our caravans as felt there was no need and in the current one we have ALDE heating. However we are going to start using more and more off grid sites and using gas so want to make 100% sure no mishaps etc.

Are they worth buying given our circumstances and the caravan being fairly new?

Hi DeltaTlowner

What year is your van as I was under the impression Lunar fitted them from 2010,

our 2010 Quasar had one and the 2012 Lexon,

both these had them fitted in a cutout in the pelmet above the front window.

Dave & Annette .

07 Kia Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE --- 2012 Lunar Clubman CK

Fitted mine myself. It is placed 150mm below the ceiling between the kitchen area and the bedroom. That is the area where the gas combustion devices are:- hob, Truma fire, fridge and water heater. Reckon I don't want to die of CO poisoning when asleep and would like as much warning as possible, if it's going to happen!

John.

A appreciate this goes against the grain. My last van was purchased brand new in 2004 and in all the years I owned my "beloved" until I sold it earlier in the year never once used my fridge on gas nor used my air blown on Gas at night. Only during the day which was a rarity. When going to ma scratcher heating was on a low peep on the electric side. . Agreed with a regularly serviced unit the risk of a CO leak is just about obsolete but I simply wanted to get rid of the risk altogether. .. Obviously you are required to be hooked up to EHU 24/7 and does not suit every ones needs just refused to the chance especially after a few as I could sleep through a tsunami . ...

GAS . ....... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Hi DeltaTlowner

What year is your van as I was under the impression Lunar fitted them from 2010,

our 2010 Quasar had one and the 2012 Lexon,

both these had them fitted in a cutout in the pelmet above the front window.

Ours is a 2011 and definitely no CO detector although it does have a smoke alarm on the ceiling by the door.

Our practice is a bit like GAS (#15). No gas used at night, if we need a bit of warm we use the underfloor heating but of course you have to be on EHU.

So! Do we have a CO2 detector? You bet we do, mounted close to the bedhead.

Better safe than sorry in our book.