Vovo S40 2.0D

domo

Thinking of buying Volvo S40 2. 0D powershift. Has anyone have experience of towing with powershift ? I have never towed with any kind of automatic

Domo

Hi Domo,

I have had the use of a Volvo V40, the estate car manual petrol variant. They are well-made and tough motor cars. However that doesn’t really go far in helping with your question, but on the general subject of towing with automatics, I have always used automatics to tow and given the choice of auto or manual would always choose to tow with an automatic.

The stator within the torque converter acts as a torque multiplier and effectively almost doubles the torque when starting off from a standstill. The towing experience on long journeys, especially in traffic is also far more pleasurable.

Good luck with your decision.

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Thank you for early reply and advice. From my research the power shift works a bit differently to ''conventional'' automatics.

I am pleased to hear that towing with an automatic is an advantage with no difficulties.

Domo