Message added by CT Advertising,

Tracker logo 200px.pngThe Battery Powered Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system. Our VHF technology helps to overcome GPS/GSM signal jamming. Find out more

Hi, I have just purchased a new swift and it comes with 3 month free tracker subscription, what are peoples opinions of whether the sign up for the 5 year deal for £199 please

cheers

Caravan club tracker discount for duration of ownership of the van is £199?

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

I went with the CC duration deal as well when we had tracker retrieve fitted, seemed good value as we don't intend changing the van for some time

Ours has just been binned! Saving on insurances with a tracker £25. 00 per year. Cost of keeping the tracker on line, close to £100. 00.

No brainer really.

If it gets pinched I do no want it back anyway!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Ours has just been binned! Saving on insurances with a tracker £25. 00 per year. Cost of keeping the tracker on line, close to £100. 00.

No brainer really.

And it can drain the leisure battery badly.

It's also totally useless if you caravan where there's no mobile signal !

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

No brainer really.

No brainer really.

+1

Hi, I have just purchased a new swift and it comes with 3 month free tracker subscription, what are peoples opinions of whether the sign up for the 5 year deal for £199 please

cheers

Forgot to say you have to decide if you want the caravan back, there are as you can see 2 schools of thought on that one.

As mentioned above some trackers work off basically a mobile phone signal, the Tracker system works off VHF.

Allegedly gps/mobile signal type trackers can be jammed quite easily, do you know what type you have and how easy it is to jam? Worth looking into before you spend any money

cheers

It is a Tracker Retrieve and not worth the money. If your caravan is stolen you need to notify Tracker that it is missing. Therefore if your caravan is in storage and nicked it may be several weeks before you discover it is missing and they start tracking it, but by that time do you really want it back?

If you really wanted a tracker, the Phantom one is better as it notifies you the moment the caravan is moved or if someone is I breaking into the caravan. It also has low battery alerts. Hopefully due to early notification of a break in or theft, it will be recovered before any damage is done to it.

Oh it must be tracker monitor I have fitted then, the one where they phone you up if it moves!

When the tracker on my Unicorn expired in April, I decided not to renew reason because when they sent me the renewal it was £89 for a year, when I said I don't want it I was offered the life time contract at £199. If they had offered me the life time price in the first place I probably would have renewed.

There are a few alternative tracking systems available now which for slightly less as a one off payment then the cost of keeping a SIM card active can do a better job.

I have the Metis one but that is not made anymore. Have seen alternatives around but don't have link I'm afraid. But these are easily fitted and a fraction of the cost. They let you know if the alarm is sounding or if battery disconnected, or if the van is moving. So you have a bit of warning that things are not good and can take some action.

If I find a link I'll post it.

Here's one http://www. back2you. com/caravan-and-motorhome-gps-tracker. html

Edited by Mallah

Oh it must be tracker monitor I have fitted then, the one where they phone you up if it moves!

We were going to buy a 2014 Swift Challenger and that definitely has the Tracker Retrieve fitted. The Conqueror also has the Retrieve fitted. Not sure of the Elegance range as it does not state which Tracker is fitted, Retrieve or Monitor. Not sure about Bailey caravans which may have the Phantom tracker fitted.

When we changed our van recently, our insurance told me if it was the retrieve fitted, we wouldn't qualify for any insurance discount. Luckily our Unicorn 2 has the monitor and does qualify for the discount.

We were going to buy a 2014 Swift Challenger and that definitely has the Tracker Retrieve fitted. The Conqueror also has the Retrieve fitted. Not sure of the Elegance range as it does not state which Tracker is fitted, Retrieve or Monitor. Not sure about Bailey caravans which may have the Phantom tracker fitted.

You'd think I'd know, I only paid to have it fitted a year ago! It is the monitor I just looked it up. I've also got GPS fitted which gives me live tracking on the net and you can set up to 24 geo fence zones

I would never have a Tracker again as it flattened a full charged and healthy battery in 10 to 14 days due to the area we live does not have a good Vodafone Signal, so the unit kept searching for a signal and flattenibg the battery, so I discoonected it and had no further problems, and as PR1 says if it's nicked do you really want it back.

Les

Les

Like other on this site, we too had the Metis system. Most reliable and so easy to use. Such a shame that it's no longer available.

When we too delivery of our new Coachman recently, our insurer would not cover the van unless we had a tracker installed! They did not accept the defunct Metis. Therefore, we decided to look at alternative tracking systems. The final choice was a 'Sure Track' unit and are very pleased with both the installation and the monitoring service provided. Take a look at the 'Sure Track' website: http://www. sure-track. co. uk.

Staff were most helpful. Could not wish for better.

T

2012 VW Tiguan SE 4-Motion DSG 2. 0-litre TDi + 2014 Coachman VIP 520/4

I should have noted that you can save some money on the Sure Track system too. See the following page on UKCS: UKCS/articles/view. asp?id=740

2012 VW Tiguan SE 4-Motion DSG 2. 0-litre TDi + 2014 Coachman VIP 520/4

I would never have a Tracker again as it flattened a full charged and healthy battery in 10 to 14 days due to the area we live does not have a good Vodafone Signal, so the unit kept searching for a signal and flattenibg the battery, so I discoonected it and had no further problems, and as PR1 says if it's nicked do you really want it back.

Les

And in indoor storage without hook up you can't even use a solar panel in a roof light to top up battery. It definitely depends on circumstance. Mine is rarely of EHU except when on tow.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

• 3 weeks later...

Trackers are a good thing as long as they work. I wouldn't want another van stolen so I have a tracker. PLEASE THOUGH! DO NOT HAVE THE TRACKER TIED TO YOUR CARAVANS ALARM SYSTEM! MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETELY SEPARATE AND OPERATED BY A SECRET SWITCH THAT ONLY YOU KNOW OF!. IF THEY ATTACK YOUR CARAVANS ALARM THEY'LL DISABLE THE TRACKER TOO. That's what happened with ours. Ask Phantom or one of the tracker companies for details.

Edited by Speleccy