Towing With A Van

6206greg

Hi, new to the forum, so hello.

We don't have a caravan as yet, just in the research and compare stage. Before I get into to the "whats best" debate another issue has come to light. I have a 63 plate metallic silver, non sign written, Fiat ducato 130bhp etc. ..

Whilst I thought this was perfect, with the extra room for bikes, fishing stuff and the like, I never even considered that this may be turned away or not permitted on sites.

Any experience or help on this would be greatly appreciated, we've never had a caravan before, and our other car is a 118d BMW, so ultimately its a deal breaker, if we cant use the van its game over.

As it's non sign-written, you should have no problem getting onto sites (the two Clubs don't like signwritten vans, though). Private sites make their own rules, of course.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Certainly no problem on caravan club CL sites, I've seen quite a few non signed vans recently

Agree with the above and :welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Agree with the above and :welcome:

That's it then! start the search proper!!!

thanks for the replies

We tow with a T5, used to be sign written and had no probs, and as u say, it has its uses.

Never had a problem and my van is sign written, only problem I have if I do have to tow with it is people asking if I can have a look at a small problem with there van and most of the time I'm happy to do so .

We are off to New England bay on Friday for eight nights and I'm towing the caravan with my van and the wife is towing the boat up with her 4x4 so if you are there pop over and say hello .

Olympic caravan services.
Approved mobile workshop covering wrexham northwales shropshire and west cheshire.

mob 07827738671 land line 01978 710 943

www.olympiccaravanservices.com    enquiries@olympiccaravanservices.com

We tow with a Vauxhall Vivaro - plain white. Never had a problem. Having said that, I always mention it (& the 5 dogs) when making a booking.

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

We occasionally use our VW Transporter Van for towing and we have had to have side windows put in the van because certain sites will NOT allow you on without them. This happened to us on a site we had been using for years when they bought in this Rule, hence having side windows fitted. C. L. sites and some other sites no problem, but we always ask when making a booking if they have a problem with the van. TBH I think some sites are concerned that gypsies are turning up and for that reason they have made restrictions. Always mention the van when booking and then you will be sure you are OK.