Trolley Jack

den123

Hi guys how do I jack up the van to put packings under the wheel to levalers the van thanks

I have also merged these two topics as they cover a similar area.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Underneath?

Seriously though - you can use a trolley jack, but what ever you use be sure to chock the remaining wheels(s) as the brake alone may not hold it.

As to where to put it on any van, same as a car, it will have it's jacking points. Look in a handbook if you have one, if not I'm sure someone will have the same or similar van if you let us know what you have.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Only use the jack under the caravan axle or on the chassis immediately under the axle.

Using the jack anywhere else on the chassis will cause damage.

The other alternative is to fit Alko jack chassis brackets and use an Alko scissor jack or use a Kojack hydraulic jack which comes with the relevant chassis brackets.

Edited by springtime

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Why not use a bottle jack, smaller in size and weight, I would not fancy lugging a trolley jack around, we take a load of useless stuff with us that we never use.

Les

Les

I'm not aware that caravan chassis' have specific jacking points. The Kojack Hydraulic Leveller comes with specific brackets that fit to the chassis for this purpose. I bought one this year in my quest to find the best method of levelling side to side and think it is THE solution. However I then place an adjustable axle stand under the axle or chassis and remove the bottle jack until it's time to go at the end of the week etc.

• 5 months later...

I recently took my caravan to a well known tyre supply company garage for new tyres fitting, the tyre fitter wanted me to unhitch the van from my car before he jacked it up, I declined and pointed out to him that the caravan had only three points of contact with Terra Firma, and that it would be a lot safer, and the caravan would be more stable if still hitched to the car when jacked up. At this point he stomped off muttering under his breath, returning with a large trolly jack he proceeded to line the jack up with the outer chassis in preparation to lifting the van with the jack under the chassis. At this point I called a stop to the proceedings and asked to see the manager, I pointed out that his tyre fitter was totaly out of his depth on the job assigned to him, and that he could have caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to my caravan, the manager himself then took over the job of fitting the tyres, and by way of some compensation ballance them for free, but even then we had a discussion regarding the need for the wheels to be ballanced, and the proper torque settings for the wheel bolts, He said the Alko specs were too low even though I showed him the handbook with the settings plainly printed in it.

The moral of the story, make sure you work safely, and that the manufacturers recommended settings are applied.

In the absence of a proprietary fitted jacking point, i. e. Alko’s own, Kojak etc. Always jack under the axle tube as close to the chassis as possible. Never jack directly on any part of the chassis.

Not just my recommendation. If you phone Alko it is what they will tell you.

Because I have motor movers fitted that use the pre punched holes for the jacking points. It is how I jack my twin axle van.

A trolley jack is totally unnecessary and too heavy to cart around for this simple task. Use a cheap light weight hydraulic bottle jack, (about 1 Kg) from Screwfix £12. 50.

Leave the caravan hitched to the car with it in park and with its hand brake on to prevent movement. Jacking is then quick, safe and simple.

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

We had the Kojack bottle jack for our last caravan. Still got the jack, but forgot to remove the jacking brackets from the van before it went. Haven't been too bothered as the Al-ko side lift jack came with our new van. Haven't used it yet, but I have heard the odd comment that it isn't very good, so I am considering trying to buy just the two jacking brackets to fit to our present van.

We had the Kojack bottle jack for our last caravan. Still got the jack, but forgot to remove the jacking brackets from the van before it went. Haven't been too bothered as the Al-ko side lift jack came with our new van. Haven't used it yet, but I have heard the odd comment that it isn't very good, so I am considering trying to buy just the two jacking brackets to fit to our present van.

Alko jack does the job but is poor and not easy to use.

I wonder if anyone has tried a 12 volt electric scissor jack, looks like it might be a good option.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2-Ton-12-Volt-Electric-Automotive-Car-Scissor-Floor-Jack-2-Tonne-4000LB-Capacity-/391028512214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0b1d95d6

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Did consider one of these, John, especially as the business end appears to replicate the head of my

car jack. The footprint of the base does look a bit too small if on soft ground or the unstable

surface that some hardstanding create. Can be overcome by carrying a (say 300mm square x 12mm sheet

of plywood)to spread the load across a greater area.

Haven't altogether ruled out this jack, BUT:

1. Do you rely solely on this or also carry your car and Al-ko jack as provided?

2. Storage and weight increase have to be considered.

3. The little Kojack is quite heavy, but more compact for storing. Would have to obtain new

brackets to fit onto current van, and could possibly make a steel adaptor to convert its head so as

to use it for the car as well. On the other hand, as my car jack and Al-ko jack have very similar

profiles where they locate their relevant vehicles, perhaps such an adaptor could work for both

and new Kojack brackets not be necessary. Ah, decisions, decisions!

Ditto, I did exactly the same thing when we changed our caravan. Where can you buy the brackets from?

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Haven't tried yet, Townie. Can't imagine accessory shop stocking them - might hang around for years. I suppose the only way to find out is to contact the maker/official supplier. But there is always the chance that they don't cater for memory lapses by such as we - meaning that it's buy the lot again or nothing!

I wonder if anyone has tried a 12 volt electric scissor jack, looks like it might be a good option.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2-Ton-12-Volt-Electric-Automotive-Car-Scissor-Floor-Jack-2-Tonne-4000LB-Capacity-/391028512214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0b1d95d6

John

I have - got one few years ago when a caravan dealer was closing down, came with brackets to fit to the chassis and works a treat

Mitsubishi ASX4 2. 2 Auto Outlander PHEV GX5HS & Compass Omega 574 - with wifey & woofie!

John

That's in my sights aswell, although I already have the Alko Jack adapters fitted which also take my KoJack bottle jack. (I remembered to remove my old brackets before I sold my old van but the new one came with similar ones fitted :) )

One advantage appears to be that you can leave it in place once level whereas the bottle jack is advised to be removed _ I have an axle stand for that but the combined weight of both is probably about the same as the electric scissor jack. We'll see.

Haven't tried yet, Townie. Can't imagine accessory shop stocking them - might hang around for years. I suppose the only way to find out is to contact the maker/official supplier. But there is always the chance that they don't cater for memory lapses by such as we - meaning that it's buy the lot again or nothing!

The Purpleline website simply asks that they be contacted for replacement brackets. See here I remembered to move my brackets when the caravan was changed as I find that the jack works very well. I bought it because once the motor mover was fitted it became quite difficult to locate the trolley jack. An added bonus is that the jack is light enough to carry around in the caravan.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

I've been using an electric jack for several years both for the car and the caravan. On the caravan I've fitted a pair of Alko brackets. Also I welded up the piece of black steel. To jack the caravan, the tongue on the steel plate slips into the end of the bracket, whilst the rounded bottom edge fits into the grove on the jack pad. Power comes either from the van battery or the car boot socket.

To aid stability I've permanently glued the feet to a plywood baseboard.

post-261-0-29446300-1423214798_thumb.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I use the car jack, with a machined locating adaptor for the Alko jacking points. Absolutely safe and stable. Will pick the caravan up from the very low position of having a flat tyre. Always use a safety prop. Always have the caravan connected to the car. Never tow the caravan without the car (and jack)

Ern

i am about to replace Robins tyre and all the book says is "the corner steadies may be used in an emergency to raise the wheels"
now my broblem is i cant find a jacking point so will go for the wood on axle method, and cant tow to the regular fitter as the tyre isnt "safe" and i dont have a 13inch spare. (or get mobile fitter round )

i am about to replace Robins tyre and all the book says is "the corner steadies may be used in an emergency to raise the wheels"

now my broblem is i cant find a jacking point so will go for the wood on axle method, and cant tow to the regular fitter as the tyre isnt "safe" and i dont have a 13inch spare. (or get mobile fitter round )

I would be very careful using steadies to lift any caravan . They are exactly that just a steady and not a jack .

Lift a caravan by the axle using a jack or jacking point . Using steadies can twist the chassis or cause the whole caravan to twist and open up the seals cause leaks .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Robin 450/5 is a 70's 80's caravan probably not on a similar chassis to the more modern Alko type.

Who knows whether the chassis will twist or the steadies will collapse?

As a precautilon use the jack under the axle where it joins the chassis.

If not, best of luck.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.