Battery Or Charger Or Panel?

KimmyandGinge

Hi, this is for my friend.

He's got a Sterling Elite Diamond 2008, at the weekend he encountered electric troubles, he was hooked up on site, everything working ok, he out the bathroom light, it tripped everything except the 2 main lights on the wall at the front, even tripped the fridge and tv which were running on mains.

It didn't trip the sites bollard though.

So he reset it, every time he switched it all back on, it would stay on for a few seconds and then go back off.

So he left it all off, went to bed.

Next morning, switched it all back on, no probs, after a few hours, it all tripped again on its own.

He's now at home, tried it on his own mains, still the same, just keeps tripping.

What do you all reckon??

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

You don't say what he is resetting. Is it the main switch or an individual MCB. As there are two main lights left on I would guess it's an MCB. If so then I would go for a short circuit on the circuit involved. the only other thing is the fact that all other power was off does this include 12v, If so that is another problem altogether.

A bit more information would help towards solving this.

Post 2# is another possibility.

Edited by zen

When i say resetting, what i mean is, all the main circuit breakers are on, no probs, but when he switches the van on above the door, the digital display comes on, as does everything else, but then it all trips out apart from the 2 main lights on the wall above the windows!!

Sorry cant be more helpful.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Is the bathroom light 12v or mains? if it is mains the bulb has possibly

failed and gone to earth taking out an mcb. Perhaps coincidently the

mains trip is duff and this episode brought the lot crashing down.

But it only trips, apparently, after a time. Could be an MCB heating up but its best sorted by a qualified electrician as it sounds odd.

Do come back to us whrn the fault is found as often, people ask for advice and then never come back. Our members love to hear the final outcome and we all learn from other people's problems.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

He's just come round to do a few tests on my van so he could compare. ..

. ...the good news is, mine is charging ok etc, :D

Cant remember it all but he said 3 cells are dead in his battery, he brought his volt meter tester thing and it done what it should've done with mine, but with his, it says its not charging, so he's thinking it could be the charger!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update

The local dealer told my mate to trove the battery, turn on the power and try the 12v lights, if they DIDNT work, it was the charger.

They didn't work so he bought a new charger, alas, everything is now working as it should.

Cheers for all your input.