Bpw Chassis Cracks On Geist/dethleff

Cookie Monster

Just agreed to buy a s/h 2005 geist dethleff dl520 but been made aware that this yr and older had a recall ref cracks in the chassis. Have done a bit of digging but cant pin down whether the dl520 was affected lots of stuff about lv485 but no mention of the dl520. Have checked with seller who bought from new and it had not been recalled. He says all ok underneath, when I was looking round it I wasnt aware of this and wasnt specifically looking for this fault. No major signs of any movement etc inside and van is immaculate, weve been looking for one if these vans for ages and were over the moon that we got one now im worried, if this model is affected, the remedial work hasnt been done and the bits are no longer available o could be buying trouble, anyone know anything ref this issue? ?

I may look like an idiot and I may sound like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. .... I really am an idiot !!

Presumably Dethlef might.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I would of thought BPW would have information on any problems with their chassis . I would of thought they must know what batch of chassis numbers are effected under their QA systems . They can also tell you if that same chassis was used and what size and type of chassis was used . As BPW build tens of thousands of trailer chassis I would of thought the problem was a "in house" issue on the manufacturing .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Van never CRiS registered and dealer no longer in business have contacted dethleff but as yet no reply have since got hold of chassis no although not quite what I was expecting (starts with s not sg) am off work tomorrow so will ring bpw and see if they can help. Thanks for your replies so far.

I may look like an idiot and I may sound like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. .... I really am an idiot !!

I always thought that Geist were teamed up with LMC and not Dethleffs, although both belong to the Hymer Group.

The van is a geist but all the guff has dethleff on it in 2006 the same van was put on alko chassis and called dethleff!

I've got a 2008 Dethleffs 545V and it's got a BPW chassis, too.

Edited by Lutz

Spoke to bpw today who were extremely helpful. They couldnt tell me exactly which chassis by serial no were affected. However they told me that the affected chassis members were 3mm L section and were changed at recall to 31/2mm J section. They also said that the appropriate bits were no longer available. As far as im aware @lutz it was the chassis up to 2005 not after.