New Family Van

CBBC

Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for a new 5/6 berth caravan with fixed bunks.

We presently have a series 7 Bretagne but with the triple bunks and a growing son he's running out of space up there so we are looking for a double bunk model. We are also looking for a bigger bathroom with separate shower no wet rooms.

Logical choice is the Pegasus GT65 Ancona but I have a couple of reservations. With the loss of the big front locker where would we put our bigger items like waste master. Also with the toilet cassette being on the near side of the van, I wonder if our Kampa 390 awning will foul the opening of the cassette door. I know we could move the awning a bit but I don't want the awning to cover any windows if possible. We will try the local dealers this week and see if any have an Ancona on display and we can have a better look.

Can anyone suggest any alternative models?

Thanks.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

Have you looked at an Adria Altea DT Tamar? Or the venture sportline DT dealer special. 2014 model has a huge rear bathroom with separate shower. Bunks upper takes 70kg and is full size I can fit in the lower one which is also full size with plenty of room. I'm 5'10 and fairly large build. Great caravans.

Cbbc

We have the Ancona and its superb. Loss of front locker is not an issue. Our aqua roll sits perfectly under the table on the side dinette and cannot move anywhere due to the table leg. The waste master simply lays on the floor of the van.

Ref the awning, we have an outdoor revolution 4m awning. We have it pulled as far as possible to the end of the van so that it covers the bathroom, plus toilet doors, and also side dinette window. It sits nicely between that and the front lounge windows with no fouling of any windows. Only thing you need to adjust slightly is maybe the triangle of the awning that traditionally tucks back into the van, where you run the draught strip into. All I do with this is have this folding round the back edge of the van. Then allows me free access to the toilet door rather than having to fight with the awning. Not seen any issues with the draughts or stability of the awning as a result, and it makes things work for us. Fwiw we had an exact awning as yourselves on our previous 540-5 Olympus (same layout) and it fitted perfectly.

Not got an Ancona but we always store our aqua roll and wastemaster in the shower. Each in their own bag, this prevents any soiling or marking of the cubicle.

Works for us :D

I've never stowed either the Watermaster or Wastemaster in the front locker.

Watermaster fits under the table or in the shower, Wastemaster on the van floor, both in bags to keep the van clean

The front locker in our U1 carries a 10kg Gaslight, CampingGaz 906 plus Cadac SafariChef, wastepipes, & toilet chemicals and there's still space in there for other stuff. The two front side lockers swallow levelling blocks, hitch lock, wheel lock, torque wrench, spare water containers, tools, electric drill etc and there is plenty of space for other stuff if needed.

I'm astonished at the amount of stuff that some people wodge into their front lockers and then wonder why they've got a nose weight problem

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I'd suggest looking at the Adria's too. The bunkbed is much bigger than most, and was part of the reason we went for one.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've had a look at the Adria's but there isn't a dealer anywhere near me so don't want to travel so far incase of warranty issues.

I was at one of the dealers this morning and looked at a Coachman Vision, although very nice it felt cheap compared to the Ancona.

We also had a look at the Ancona and both of us liked it. We can live with the inside. The two small lockers at the front looks as if they will take all of our gear except the waste master which would just have to travel in the van. Our Aqua roll already travels in the van anyway. The waster master can always just be chucked under the van on a serviced pitch.

As for the awning fouling the toilet cassette door, I think this is going to happen. We have the Kampa Air 390 awning and we both felt there wasn't enough room at the back of the van for the awning upright. We have agreed that we would just have to put the awning over the toilet window as we both thought we wouldn't open that window anyway as there is a vent in the roof.

Neither of our local dealers have an Ancona in stock (the one we seen this morning was sold) so it looks like we would get a 2015 model if we go ahead. Now just have to see which dealer will give us the best deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've had a look at the Adria's but there isn't a dealer anywhere near me so don't want to travel so far incase of warranty issues.

I was at one of the dealers this morning and looked at a Coachman Vision, although very nice it felt cheap compared to the Ancona.

We also had a look at the Ancona and both of us liked it. We can live with the inside. The two small lockers at the front looks as if they will take all of our gear except the waste master which would just have to travel in the van. Our Aqua roll already travels in the van anyway. The waster master can always just be chucked under the van on a serviced pitch.

As for the awning fouling the toilet cassette door, I think this is going to happen. We have the Kampa Air 390 awning and we both felt there wasn't enough room at the back of the van for the awning upright. We have agreed that we would just have to put the awning over the toilet window as we both thought we wouldn't open that window anyway as there is a vent in the roof.

Neither of our local dealers have an Ancona in stock (the one we seen this morning was sold) so it looks like we would get a 2015 model if we go ahead. Now just have to see which dealer will give us the best deal.

Duncans!

Don't go to Knowepark if you value your sanity!

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Duncans!

Don't go to Knowepark if you value your sanity!

It was Knowpark that we seen the Ancona.

We got our last van from Duncan's so gave them a call. They can beat the Knowepark deal by a few hundred pounds.

Not surprised, Alistair always gives me a good deal . ... service is 100 times better too.

Not got an Ancona but we always store our aqua roll and wastemaster in the shower. Each in their own bag, this prevents any soiling or marking of the cubicle.

Works for us :D

That's exactly what we did when we had our van. As you say - it worked for us

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Not surprised, Alistair always gives me a good deal . ... service is 100 times better too.

We are down on Strathy Park and Alistair came down to give the van the once over and gave it a very clean bill of health.

So it looks like there will be an order going in for a Pegasus GT65 Ancona

PS Ian your name come up in conversation, he knew exactly who I was talking about.

Edited by CBBC

We are down on Strathy Park and Alistair came down to give the van the once over and gave it a very clean bill of health.

So it looks like there will be an order going in for a Pegasus GT65 Ancona

PS Ian your name come up in conversation, he knew exactly who I was talking about.

I'm not surprised! I think I am Alistair's pension plan all on my own!!!!