Personalising Your Caravan

Sara and Daz

It depends on what you would call personalized, some change the soft furnishings to their preferred style some just add small cushions with matching or complementary colour and so on. it all depends on you at the end of the day and what you call personal to you and yours.

In my first caravan we had all the upholstery changed as the one in the van was looking a bit drab, top that with matching trimmings and it felt like our home on wheels. The one I have now is awaiting the same transformation when funds allow.

I am thinking of having all the windows changed on our 2014 Coachman,to windows that don't fall off, maybe use Duct Tape with a nice floral pattern just to personalise it.

Les

Les

It depends on what you would call personalized, some change the soft furnishings to their preferred style some just add small cushions with matching or complementary colour and so on. it all depends on you at the end of the day and what you call personal to you and yours.

In my first caravan we had all the upholstery changed as the one in the van was looking a bit drab, top that with matching trimmings and it felt like our home on wheels. The one I have now is awaiting the same transformation when funds allow.

Our upholstery and carpets are looking a bit tired and we too are awaiting improvements funds. I did wash the curtains and they are in super condition so i'll keep them. I hired a carpet shampooer but that only gave them a temporary lift.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Off to look for a new carpet today, also looking at material to make some seat and cushion covers.

The lot cost £30 for our last van :)

We seemed to personalize most of our vans,,had all the upholstery changed on one van,we put lamanated floor down on one it made the van very heavy,next van had carpet we put vinyle down, the caravan befor this one we could not get a good shine on the front so had it sprayed silver( mistake) it took a time to sell. this time we will leave the caravan alone.

Off to look for a new carpet today, also looking at material to make some seat and cushion covers.

The lot cost £30 for our last van :)

£30! When was that, 1972?

I am thinking of having all the windows changed on our 2014 Coachman,to windows that don't fall off, maybe use Duct Tape with a nice floral pattern just to personalise it.

Les

Try Asda for the tape - was in our local one yesterday & noticed some patterned duct tape :D

2005 Bessacarr Cameo 635 gl & 2005 Nissan Terrano II SVE Di 3. 0l

We got fed up with the drab yellow sun faded curtains in our van so my wife bought some seasidy fabric and covered them and with the left over bits covered some cushions.

We think it adds a bit of fun and brightens up the interior.

post-68970-0-25572800-1408351540_thumb.jpg

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

£30! When was that, 1972?

This April :P

Roll end for £20 at a local carpet shop (it was £30 but haggled a bit), £10 for fabric at a local shop that has a clearance section.

Took me an hour to fit the carpet and about 3 hours to do the seat and cushion covers. I'm not perfect on the sewing machine but they were good enough :)

This April :P

Roll end for £20 at a local carpet shop (it was £30 but haggled a bit), £10 for fabric at a local shop that has a clearance section.

Took me an hour to fit the carpet and about 3 hours to do the seat and cushion covers. I'm not perfect on the sewing machine but they were good enough :)

That's got to be worth a picture, bargain! Well done!

You do see some odd mixtures of colour and pattern sometimes when you view used vans. Manufacturers spend a fortune employing designers who select the fabrics to produce a suitable internal environment and then customers add totally inappropriate extras without appearing to consider aesthetics.

Our only modification are two pairs of small chrome hooks. One pair in the washroom and one pair by the entrance, where the keys and dog leads hang. They're identical to the hooks that Lunar added to their ranges in 2013, so they don't look out of place.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Customers add totally inappropriate extras without appearing to consider aesthetics. ..

Haha I take it you don't like my curtains then Andy??. That's polite way of putting it I suppose.

But they are appropriate to me as I like them and maybe on a swanky new caravan the fabrics are of a modern style but when caravans get older it's nice to add the odd personnel touch.

As with all things it's each to their own. .I've also got a small old style barometer hanging on the wall. .... Because I like it !!!!!

Well as my caravan is from the dreadful year of 2002 in interior design. (if that is what you want to call it) I think the poor thing is in need of a facelift the interior designers should have been shot in the Avondale company that year, come to think of it they might have been seeing has it no longer makes caravans.

Only joking, No to be honest my interior is, how we say, well worn. So a golden opportunity to redesign it and bring it up to date. But I have to say some new caravans have dreadful interiors.

Edited by Digger_07

I put decals on the rear of my van, it was very plain, thought it needed a bit of livening up, nothing jazzy, just Swift logo from Ebay.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Well as my caravan is from the dreadful year of 2002 in interior design. (if that is what you want to call it) I think the poor thing is in need of a facelift the interior designers should have been shot in the Avondale company that year, come to think of it they might have been seeing has it no longer makes caravans. Only joking, No to be honest my interior is, how we say, well worn. So a golden opportunity to redesign it and bring it up to date. But I have to say some new caravans have dreadful interiors.

Well mines 2003 Digger so probably got the same era style as yours, thing is there's not much you can do to bring it up to date without spending a fortune, maybe the fabric, curtains and carpets are all you can do really, and I'm with you on some modern caravans interior, Hyacinth Bucket springs to mind

Haha I take it you don't like my curtains then Andy??. That's polite way of putting it I suppose.

Au contraire mon petit Avenger, I think your curtains are an excellent complement to the upholstery. A very similar blue, in a reverse of colours with the movement of a comprehensive pattern. Excellent.

But wide striped brown and lime green cushions with tassles would knock it all for six.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I quite like the upholstery and curtains so maybe I'll buy a few more cushions. I was thinking of putting some photos up but don't want to do anything too permanent that might mark the walls. I was also thinking about getting a table lamp but the OHs not keen as he says we've got enough lighting as it is

But wide striped brown and lime green cushions with tassles would knock it all for six.

Whoops, I won't show you what we done with the bathroom then. ..haha

My caravan mods have all been functional rather than cosmetic:

Dual rear view camera (one looking down, automatically engaged when reversing), wired through spare pin on 13pin connector to car.

Digital voltmeter / clock / temp gauge.

Digital ammeter.

Mains inverter.

Alarm.

Mp3 radio.

Internet radio.

3G router (with roof 3G antenna).

Wifi router (with sucker mount external plate antenna).

Insulation on external hot-air heating pipes.

Motor mover.

. ..and probably a few more I've forgotten about.

And there are a few more planned :)

2012 Lunar Quasar 546 towed by a 2008 Volvo XC90 D5.

I quite like the upholstery and curtains so maybe I'll buy a few more cushions. I was thinking of putting some photos up but don't want to do anything too permanent that might mark the walls. I was also thinking about getting a table lamp but the OHs not keen as he says we've got enough lighting as it is

I would agree, it's a 2010 model so should be okay on the interior and cupboards etc. .. you just need to put thing in it that make it feel homely to you both, Pictures can be hung in lot's of different ways these day without leaving a permanent mark where they have been, just searched the interweb I am sure you will find something that will suit. I agree with the lamp thing. I am sure you find your own way of making feel personal without making it permanent for when you wan to update your caravan.

Mine is completely different as the age of it give me more scope to play without losing any value on it. I have just installed some LED light strips which make the van feel warm and cosy in the evenings which is far better and has a low voltage output on the battery then the current lighting system in it. check out my picture gallery photo sequence on how I install them.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/gallery/album/1604-led-lighting/

Edited by Digger_07

My caravan mods have all been functional rather than cosmetic:

Dual rear view camera (one looking down, automatically engaged when reversing), wired through spare pin on 13pin connector to car.

Digital voltmeter / clock / temp gauge.

Digital ammeter.

Mains inverter.

Alarm.

Mp3 radio.

Internet radio.

3G router (with roof 3G antenna).

Wifi router (with sucker mount external plate antenna).

Insulation on external hot-air heating pipes.

Motor mover.

. ..and probably a few more I've forgotten about.

And there are a few more planned :)

Wow!! your caravan must be the most hi tech van I have heard of, well done you, as you have described a very functional caravan and what suits you personally.

Edited by Digger_07

I would agree, it's a 2010 model so should be okay on the interior and cupboards etc. .. you just need to put thing in it that make it feel homely to you both, Pictures can be hung in lot's of different ways these day without leaving a permanent mark where they have been, just searched the interweb I am sure you will find something that will suit. I agree with the lamp thing. I am sure you find your own way of making feel personal without making it permanent for when you wan to update your caravan. Mine is completely different as the age of it give me more scope to play without losing any value on it. I have just installed some LED light strips which make the van feel warm and cosy in the evenings which is far better and has a low voltage output on the battery then the current lighting system in it. check out my picture gallery photo sequence on how I install them. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/gallery/album/1604-led-lighting/

Just been looking at your pics installing LED's, they look brilliant well done, think I'll do that to mine, didn't know you could get them in strips like that. .... Did you get them from ebay?

Just been looking at your pics installing LED's, they look brilliant well done, think I'll do that to mine, didn't know you could get them in strips like that. .... Did you get them from ebay?

You can get them off eBay, but I got mine from a model shop, at around £6. 00 a meter strip as you can cut them every third LED so you can use as much or as little as you want and they still light up of a 12v battery. they are also available an different colours. if you want to order of the internet then HobbyKing would be the best place to get them.

www. hobbyking. com

Edited by Digger_07