Caravan Extension Mirrors

Hi as the title states I am going to be on the look out for the car extension mirrors for my Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 DiD, now these have pretty large mirror's already and don't want to end up buying a set that maybe don't even go round to fit them, I notice a lot of them just have like rubber straps that you fit around and others with like small brackets to secure, and with knowing nothing about thought maybe best to ask here first ?

thanks

totally new to all this bought our first cheap van and here to learn!!

This has been covered many, many times.

The rubber strap fitting mirrors can suffer from vibration and often don't extend as far as those on an arm.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

This has been covered many, many times.

The rubber strap fitting mirrors can suffer from vibration and often don't extend as far as those on an arm.

Whereas I have found that the strap ons suffer less from vibration.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

You can get strap on types, rubber suction mount types and clamp on types.

Your best bet is to visit a caravan shop and actually look at the options and try them if possible

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

You can get strap on types, rubber suction mount types and clamp on types.

Your best bet is to visit a caravan shop and actually look at the options and try them if possible

Yep I have always tried them on the car and viewed behind me looking at various objects.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

it's cool folks don't really want to be hassling people to answer questions they have already done a million times, perhaps I should have done some research before I posted the question, seems that the Milenco ones are the best so I will just go and get them, hope I did not annoy anyone!

totally new to all this bought our first cheap van and here to learn!!

Sorry WF, I didn't mean to sound sharp.

I've found the Milenco's excellent, although I recently tried to fix them on the bottom of the wing mirrors as some have suggested and it just didn't work. The idea is that if the attachments scratch it won't be visible. However mine have never scratched on the top edge and I couldn't get them to adjust to a decent view down the side of the van when fixed at the bottom.

Sorry WF, I didn't mean to sound sharp.

I've found the Milenco's excellent, although I recently tried to fix them on the bottom of the wing mirrors as some have suggested and it just didn't work. The idea is that if the attachments scratch it won't be visible. However mine have never scratched on the top edge and I couldn't get them to adjust to a decent view down the side of the van when fixed at the bottom.

And yet strangely I tried Milencos and didn't like them. Many people swear by them.

Alan

I'll own up and say I've never owned anything but the Milenco's so can't speak for others.

A few weeks back I attended a CC towing Course and one of the candidates had rubber strap on mirrors which he fitted before using the trial caravan. He was mortified when the tutor leant over and turned the mirrors through 180 degrees so they extended out significantly further. He admitted he'd never realised they did that :rolleyes:

I have Milenco clamp type and they are pretty steady even on the motorway. Never scratched the top of the mirror and I have used these for 6 years on various cars with no problem. Being the clamp type I can then use the door mirrors lowered a bit to see the front edges of the van when cornering etc.

I have Milenco clamp type and they are pretty steady even on the motorway. Never scratched the top of the mirror and I have used these for 6 years on various cars with no problem. Being the clamp type I can then use the door mirrors lowered a bit to see the front edges of the van when cornering etc.

With the Strap ons I also make full use of the existing door mirrors.

I carry a spare strap on in the van in case one gets damaged.

Alan

With the Strap ons I also make full use of the existing door mirrors.

I carry a spare strap on in the van in case one gets damaged.

Basically it is whatever suits you best . I like the milenco products as they seem to last well.

Bought the cheapie Halfords strap on ones, used them once, bought the Milenco clamp on ones. Definitely worth the money.

My first set were a set of strap ons from Go Outdoors, trouble was over about 40 they "bent" back against the straps so I could never get them properly adjusted.

I then bought a set of Grand Aeros and clamped them to the top of the door mirrors, the design of the door mirrors with a sloping top put the Grand Aeros below the level of the door mirrors so difficult to use.

I now clamp them below and all is level.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

You make a good point about the door mirrors. Most people forget that they still exist when extensions are fitted

Hi as the title states I am going to be on the look out for the car extension mirrors for my Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 did, now these have pretty large mirror's already and don't want to end up buying a set that maybe don't even go round to fit them, I notice a lot of them just have like rubber straps that you fit around and others with like small brackets to secure, and with knowing nothing about thought maybe best to ask here first ?

thanks

Hi I also have a shogun 3. 2Did and have always used the Melenco aero mirrors rock steady and easy to attach, never had a problem with them leaving marks on the car wing mirrors and I fit them to the top edge. Hope this helps

And yet strangely I tried Milencos and didn't like them. Many people swear by them.

I agree with you Easy T, I tried the Milenco and could not get used to them, in the end I purchased a set of MGI mirrors, they are made by Milenco at approx £20 a set, they clamp on top of the mirror, and have two straps round each mirror, hence no vibration.

It's odd you mention Grand Aero vibration because when I first got mine 5 years ago I couldn't get used to them and they seemed to vibrate a lot. Now there's no vibration at all and they're as clear as a bell. I don't know when the vibration went or why, but it has.

One other point mentioned on the CC towing course is that most people fit extensions but then continue looking in their original mirrors because it's automatic. The instructor made the point by covering the car mirrors with two cloth caps and the difference once the car mirrors weren't visible was almost miraculous.

BTW the best tip from that course was to adjust the extensions so you can see the tops of your van wheelarch fairings. That provides a good view down the sides of the van and around the rear but also gives a reference for reversing. All those who've done the straight reverse in the course know that you keep your eyes on those fairings and as one side appears in a mirror you adjust the steering so it moves back. That way a straight reverse is a continuous series of mini left and right corrections.

Over the years I've tried various strap ons but eventually bought a set of Millenco Aeros (don't need the Grand Aeros on an C-Max or S-Max)- there is no contest the Millencos are far superior. They clamp on without marking and are rock steady. We've had them about eight or nine years.

I persuaded the dealer to let me try them out before I purchased them

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Use whatever suits you. Take the car to the dealer and ask to try them. I had the rubber strap type for years until one of them flew off at 60mph on the A449. A chat with my local caravan dealer, explaining that I was soon changing to a larger 4x4 (with larger mirrors) led them to show me a set of Milencos. I've been using them since, (3 different towcars). Both types worked well for me without too much vibration.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Seems like Milenco Aero or Grand Aero are clear leaders on this straw poll.

This leads to the age old quandry - should I get flat ones or convex ?

Land Rover is now back towing.

A flat mirror on the passenger side of the car will give a very narrow field of view. A flat one on the driver's side might be acceptable but I prefer to have both mirrors the same so use convex. The standard door mirrors fitted to the car are also convex.

Did I read somewhere that its illegal to leave your mirrors on your vehicle when not towing ??

I would have thought so.

Alan