Buying A Hobby From Germany

deputytl

As per title, has anyone brought a Hobby dirrect from Germany. If so are there any pros or cons, what happens about the 230v sockets can they be changed to English ones.

The question of power sockets is just one matter (I believe they can be converted to UK type), you should have a look at the upholstery spec' and also the gas regulator, neither of which will comply with UK (NCC) standards. Your insurer may not want to ensure it for that reason. Personally, I think the NCC specification is ridiculous and totally un-necessary but that's how it is. It would be wise to speak to your insurers before you commit to buy.

Ern

Thanks for the info, I am aware on the regulator issue and that would be changed as a matter of fact. The one we were looking at had leather seating so not sure how that fares

Surely the regulator conforms to EU standards why would it need changing ?

As long as you use a 30 mb regulator .

As for uphostery are the Hobbys sold over here do they have all their cloth changed because they look original by what i have seen ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

As per title, has anyone brought a Hobby dirrect from Germany. If so are there any pros or cons, what happens about the 230v sockets can they be changed to English ones.

http://www. joeressen. de/, in Monchengladbach, are the nearest German dealer, have English speaking staff and are used to dealing with UK service personnel.

I used http://www. hexel-caravan. de/, in Dortmund, when I bought my second Hobby as they had, in stock, exactly what I wanted. Ordered one Saturday by phone and collected the following Saturday.

Unless Hobby's supplier has changed UK type socket inserts are available from the UK Hobby motorhome dealers or from the socket manufacturer in boxes of 10 but I found it easier to fit Schuko plugs to appliances used in the caravan.

It may be supplied with a German bottle mounted propane regulator which will need replacing either by a UK style bulkhead mounted regulator or a 30mbar bottle mounted regulator as the caravan does not need to conform to NCC requirements for UK manufacturers. .

Not sure how prices compare at the moment but sterling is strong against the euro which may be to your advantage. I am going to the German Caravan show in Dusseldorf the first week in September so will get the latest prices and specifications then.

Edited by beejay

http://www. joeressen. de/, in Monchengladbach, are the nearest German dealer, have English speaking staff and are used to dealing with UK service personnel.

I used http://www. hexel-caravan. de/, in Dortmund, when I bought my second Hobby as they had, in stock, exactly what I wanted. Ordered one Saturday by phone and collected the following Saturday.

Unless Hobby's supplier has changed UK type socket inserts are available from the UK Hobby motorhome dealers or from the socket manufacturer in boxes of 10 but I found it easier to fit Schuko plugs to appliances used in the caravan.

It may be supplied with a German bottle mounted propane regulator which will need replacing either by a UK style bulkhead mounted regulator or a 30mbar bottle mounted regulator as the caravan does not need to conform to NCC requirements for UK manufacturers. .

Not sure how prices compare at the moment but sterling is strong against the euro which may be to your advantage. I am going to the German Caravan show in Dusseldorf the first week in September so will get the latest prices and specifications then.

Are the Schuko plugs and socket earth grounded or just 2 pin as i thought the Schuko plugs could be reversed .

i m still looking at a new van and importing a Hobby from NL or B or De is one option i keep looking at .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Are the Schuko plugs and socket earth grounded or just 2 pin as i thought the Schuko plugs could be reversed .

i m still looking at a new van and importing a Hobby from NL or B or De is one option i keep looking at .

Dave

Schuko comes from Schutzkontakt or protected contact and does have earth contacts. Plugs can be reversed in the socket as the earth contacts are recessed in the sides and will fit either way round

There is a Hobby dealer at Poperinge, in Belgium, just over the border from St Omer, but prices may be higher than in Germany.

http://www. decuypermotorhomes. be/en

In unlikely event of major problem will the Warranty be viable in UK??

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

As far as changing sockets to UK type I got mine from here. http://www. abcomponents. co. uk/berker_sockets_switches. html

It is a five minute job. Use a flat edge to unclip the surround, disconnect the wire, connect it to the new one and refit the surround. (It's just a click fit).

I know many people who have bought motorhomes in Germany - then swap the speedo, the rear lights (fog lights on wrong side), headlights and internal sockets etc. The savings are tremendous on UK

Insurance for a caravan is easier as it is not "registered" like a motorhome is. Motorhome are imported and driven here insured on the chassis number.

Look carefully at where you get your foreign currency from if you do the deal - an extra cent is a lot of money on 20k.

With a motorhome, you pay the German VAT (19%) then claim it back when you have paid the UK 20%

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We bought a Knaus from Joeressen many moons ago, were excellent and had no problems, collection was on time and as specified including front and rear bike racks. We used an adaptor for the gas and kept their regulator (they have an ice exe for winter vanning). Electric sockets remained the same and used continental equipment or converters. Brilliant van used it for 14 plus years pity British vans aren't built to a similar standard. (Take cover)

In unlikely event of major problem will the Warranty be viable in UK??

Geoff

Unlikely, but I have never had to make a claim. ......... :D

Almost all the appliances and fittings are major European brands and warranty will go through them anyway even for a UK 'van.

I would of thought unless it is in the T&C of the warranty that it is not covered outside the country it would still be honoured under the EU one market . As said most are EU items used but changing plug sockets could cause issues unless carried out by a qualified electrician .

The US manufacturers warranty on their imported caravans in the T&C says they only honour a warranty in the US and not outside the country.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Warranty coverage within the EU is not an issue. About 20% of all cars registered in Germany are reimports from elsewhere. If warranty were an issue, the sales of such reimported vehicles would be nowhere nearly as popular.

With a motorhome, you pay the German VAT (19%) then claim it back when you have paid the UK 20%

Russ

Isn't there 10% import duty as well as VAT on a motorhome?

With a caravan VAT is paid in the EU country of purchase and there is no further VAT due in he UK.

No duty as there are no borders in the EU countries. Only import duty on non EU countries.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

• 1 month later...

Late with my input. Having bought 5 new Hobby single axles touring caravan from Germany, never had a problem, never changed the electrics but use adapters. Bought our Premium from Joeressen in June 2012. Serviced at Ambergate Hobby UK importers. Also have had warranty work undertaken there too, no problems. Ambergate are excellent.

Does anyone have problems buying German or French or Swedish or any other continental Cars??

Hobby caravans are manufactured in accordance with EU legislation and Quality. By the way I've noticed the "travelling" community using a lot more British vans, so be careful you may become stigmatized !!

• 1 month later...

Had the Email from our dealer in Monchengladbach on Monday, The our new caravan he thinks will be available to collect in late December but we may well wait till Jan to go colect it. It was not from Joeressen but we did speak with them and they gave us some free tickets to go to the Caravan Salon on Sept as were very interested in a Knaus but fell for a Burstner. Joeressen were excellent help and would reccomend.

It has not been plain sailing so far as the dealer we were introduced (Camping Krings) to doesnt seam to use email much and is a bit more traditional and the sales rep who speaks perfect english was away as he has had a baby and uncontactable for questions. We got what we think was a good deal that gets better as the exchange rate does ! fingers are well and truly crossed that Bursterner dont QC snag it (they have a habit of snagging for the smallest of things im told) at the factory and there is no delays.

I have some questions that i will post in a seperate post if anyone can help ?

Had the Email from our dealer in Monchengladbach on Monday, The our new caravan he thinks will be available to collect in late December but we may well wait till Jan to go colect it. It was not from Joeressen but we did speak with them and they gave us some free tickets to go to the Caravan Salon on Sept as were very interested in a Knaus but fell for a Burstner. Joeressen were excellent help and would reccomend.

It has not been plain sailing so far as the dealer we were introduced (Camping Krings) to doesnt seam to use email much and is a bit more traditional and the sales rep who speaks perfect english was away as he has had a baby and uncontactable for questions. We got what we think was a good deal that gets better as the exchange rate does ! fingers are well and truly crossed that Bursterner dont QC snag it (they have a habit of snagging for the smallest of things im told) at the factory and there is no delays.

I have some questions that i will post in a seperate post if anyone can help ?

If you have any questions but are unable to communicate with the dealer in English, get in touch with me and I would phone them on your behalf.

Edited by Lutz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

only just picked up on this topic as I haven't been on here for a while:

Mains sockets are not a problem, you can change them to UK style 3 pin if you wish (there are replacement inserts available from Becker who make the sockets on many German 'vans) or stick with the Schuko type and put Schuko plugs on appliances or use good quality adaptors. Many people choose the later route.

Whether you go for a bulkhead mounted gas regulator or stick with a bottle mounted one is a matter of personal preference. Provided they comply with the EU norms and the manufacturers requirement you can use either.

The upholstery might be a problem when you sell the 'van. When a UK trader sells a caravan the upholstery needs to comply with fire regulations (both coverings and internals) and be labelled as complying. This requirement doesn't apply to private imports.

The positioning of the rear fog light may be a problem, don't know whether the latest ones are equipped on both sides, some were only fitted with a rear fog light on the left which doesn't conform to UK regs.

There are many people on the Hobby Owners Club forum who have purchased caravans in Germany or Belgium, lots of information on there about how to do it.

Brit escapee to France 15 years ago
2001 BMW 530D SE Touring x 1 Manual & 1 Automatic, 1993 BMW 520i SE Touring

1983 Citroen Mehari, 1986 Acapulco 56 Motorhome on a Citroen C25 chassis, 2003 Hobby 540 UFe & 1980 Sprite Alpine C

Just been to arrange the annual service on my Bailey Olympus at Caravanas Cruz at Elche, Spain. We had a look round the new Hobby and Adria caravans. To cut a long story short while I was in the shop buying a powertool attachment for raising the steadies, my wife fell in love with a Hobby 560 UL.

We have only had the second hand Bailey since the beginning of June but I am under severe pressure to order the Hobby. I was very impressed with the quality and solidity of the Hobby and am sorely tempted. However, I think at 26. 5k € basic, without mover etc and plus delivery, it is a bit more expensive than I could get it for in Moenchengladbach or other dealers in Germany.

Beejay I note that you were going to the Dusseldorf show and were getting the latest prices and specs. If you did I should be gratefulif you could let me have the details on a Hobby 560 ul Prestige please,

Edited by maisiedad

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

Just been to arrange the annual service on my Bailey Olympus at Caravanas Cruz at Elche, Spain. We had a look round the new Hobby and Adria caravans. To cut a long story short while I was in the shop buying a powertool attachment for raising the steadies, my wife fell in love with a Hobby 560 UL.

We have only had the second hand Bailey since the beginning of June but I am under severe pressure to order the Hobby. I was very impressed with the quality and solidity of the Hobby and am sorely tempted. However, I think at 26. 5k € basic, without mover etc and plus delivery, it is a bit more expensive than I could get it for in Moenchengladbach or other dealers in Germany.

Beejay I note that you were going to the Dusseldorf show and were getting the latest prices and specs. If you did I should be gratefulif you could let me have the details on a Hobby 560 ul Prestige please,

Hi, there are catalogues & manuals as well as several posts about buying Hoby 'vans from abroad on the Hobby Owners Club forum hobbyownersclub. org.

With the strength of the pound against the euro it is a good time to buy on the continent. It is not the same in all countries though. For instance, new & second-hand 'vans are expensive in France. In Belgium & Germany excellent deals are available on new 'vans, for second-hand 'vans the choice is bigger but the savings are not so good.

26. 5k euros is very expensive, sounds more like a French price than a German or Belgium price.

Motor movers & awnings tend to be more expensive (a lot more in the case of motor movers) than in the UK, For my 'vans I have bought motor movers in the UK and fitted them myself and saved 100s of euros over the price in France.

Brit escapee to France 15 years ago
2001 BMW 530D SE Touring x 1 Manual & 1 Automatic, 1993 BMW 520i SE Touring

1983 Citroen Mehari, 1986 Acapulco 56 Motorhome on a Citroen C25 chassis, 2003 Hobby 540 UFe & 1980 Sprite Alpine C