Converting From On Board Pump Back To The Water Barrel Type

Rodyellowhouse

I have a Unicorn 2. As with all the Unicorn range it comes with an inboard pump, fitted under one of the seats in the bed box. A noisy pump is a common complaint with the Unicorn. Even though it is rubber mounted, it does put out an astonishing amount of noise and vibration in use. My previous vans have all had a pump that one simply drops into the water barrel. Silent in operation and actually produces a much better flow rate to boot. Just toying with the notion of converting back to such a system and wondered if anyone out there has done it. What if any problems were encountered, and was it worth the effort.

Many thanks

Rod

Hi Rod and welcome to CT.

My current caravan has the the sort of set up you are wishing for but I still have a noisy pump where as my previous caravan was so much quieter than the set up we have now!!

Andrew.

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

I have onboard pump and i found if i slipped an old bath sponge underneath the pump then the noise is acceptable, also i don't think you will get the flow rate or pressure from a barrel pump as you would get from an onboard pump

BMW X5 followed by a 2014 Lunar Delta RS

"My previous vans have all had a pump that one simply drops into the water barrel. Silent in operation and actually produces a much better flow rate to boot.

Not a hope of much better flow rate from a submersible pump, nowhere near.

Many thanks for the views of those who have troubled to reply. I like the idea of an old bath sponge. Mainly because I am a great fan of cheap, easy, quick and common sense solutions to problems! There maybe a few other household items I could experiment with too.

The flow rate issue, is perhaps, a bit more tricky? An earlier van (Elddis Avante 505) we had utilised a drop into barrel Truma (Thames Pump) I think it was called. My recollection was that it produced a flow rate that was way better than what I am getting from my inboard pump at present. Think I will check out and compare the manufacturer's quoted figures. If I do decide to revert to the old style Thames Pump I will publish the success or otherwise on this site to encourage or warn others!

Cheers

Rod

If your onboard pump is both noisy and inefficient perhaps it might be faulty?

My inboard pump developed an internal leak. Whale insisted that it be returned to them but replaced it without argument. Pressure and flow far better than any barrel pump. Not subject to theft, far longer life, can run dry.

Mine is a little noisy but not a problem.

Look on CT, as some people have tried different ways of making them quieter.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.