Is My Over Run Damper Past Its Best?

EddyP

Hi Guys,

I'm finding that when I brake semi-hard the car van hitch is compressing with some force and then there's a bang on the back of the car as it compresses right the way up, is this normal or a sign that the hitch damper needs changing? I know when they do it more regularly they've definitely had it, but not sure what to expect when they're working properly.

Thanks

Ed.

Probably but it's also worth checking the bolts on your towbar are torqued up correctly.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

A bang on braking is more likely to be badly adjusted brakes . .

If a damper has gone, when you pull away after braking you will get a thump

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

The bar will be fine, I fitted it myself fairly recently, and with the design of bar it can't really move even if it had come loose a little. Will double check them anyway.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to adjust alko brakes?

EDIT - Don't worry, found one here http://www. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/handbooks/overrun-braking-system-handbook. pdf

Edited by EddyP

Hi Guys,

I'm finding that when I brake semi-hard the car van hitch is compressing with some force and then there's a bang on the back of the car as it compresses right the way up, is this normal or a sign that the hitch damper needs changing? I know when they do it more regularly they've definitely had it, but not sure what to expect when they're working properly.

Thanks

Ed.

Had the same problem, needed a new hitch damper

• 2 weeks later...

see if you can push the hitch back with your hand. if you can it is certainly has gone. I got the banging under both braking and pulling away. A trailer place was able to fit a new one while we went for breakfast on the way home. a new damper have have to be ordered

macafee2

• 10 months later...

see if you can push the hitch back with your hand. if you can it is certainly has gone. I got the banging under both braking and pulling away. A trailer place was able to fit a new one while we went for breakfast on the way home. a new damper have have to be ordered

macafee2

Hi, sorry to nip into this tread but I seem to have the same issue, I have just come home from long journey to find oily residue coming from under tow hitch, and to think of it I have had the symptoms as above for a while now.

Can anyone tell me how you find the correct damper for your van, mine is a Lunar LX 2000, I have a picture of the plate on A frame but struggling to upload it to this post

Any help much appreciated

Hi, have just managed to upload the picture of the plate on my A frame, does this give me any information on the over run damper model number

Plate

Cheer
Alistair

If your damper is shot but brakes well adjusted, the van wheels will lock up on hard braking.

Suspect you need a full brake service.

The KF13 is the number you're looking for. See them here:

http://www. tauntontrailers. co. uk/knott---avonride-750kg---1300kg-damper-12-p. asp

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Worth taking the damper out and checking the number on the side as they come in different lengths before ordering .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Hi, sorry to nip into this tread but I seem to have the same issue, I have just come home from long journey to find oily residue coming from under tow hitch, and to think of it I have had the symptoms as above for a while now.

Can anyone tell me how you find the correct damper for your van, mine is a Lunar LX 2000, I have a picture of the plate on A frame but struggling to upload it to this post

Any help much appreciated

I don't think that anyone will mind you 'nipping into this thread' as it's nearly a year since it was posted. Why not start your own thread?

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I don't think that anyone will mind you 'nipping into this thread' as it's nearly a year since it was posted. Why not start your own thread?

John. :)

Hi John, I was looking on how to start new thread but for life of me couldn't find the area to start one, lol. Think i have got info that i have required, I have only posted a couple of times but have found this site brilliant, thanks again

If your damper is shot but brakes well adjusted, the van wheels will lock up on hard braking.

Suspect you need a full brake service.

Yeh, I will get them looked at after damper fitted, advice much appreciated, thanks