Prats

bob1982

Hi all.

Only been towing a short while but just got back from a lovely week away in cornwall. ... a long tow but had a lovely time.

However there does seem to be a large number of prats on the road. I can understand normal drivers doing stupid things if they dont tow and dont umderstand.

What I really struggle with is other caravans and partucularly motorhomes who really should empathise on the road. Most speeding or doing daft things like cutting in too close. It seems to be more prats than not. Why is this? When I see people on site we chat and have fun and enjoy eachothers company. But these presumably are the same people acting like prats as soon as they leave the site. Of course everyone is perfect and agrees when you talk onsite or on forums. .. but someone is doing it. .. who is it. .. will anyone on here admit to this and explain why so I can at least get my head around this strange behaviour.

Was passed 4 times on the way home this weekend, one guy pulling a big TA with a Range Rover must have been doing 85 easily.

At least he had mirrors on I suppose.

:-/

It won't stop until the police start pulling outfits over.

I would be honoured if you could spare a few pounds to sponsor me.

I am playing in a charity ice hockey match in July in aid of Help For Heroes

Please text STGO94 £2 to 70070 or visit justgiving. com/SteelerGoalie94

85 - that must of been a hell of a well matched outfit :o

We'll it wasn't me - I wouldn't dream of doing that kind of speed even if I could - my last twin axle used to wobble at anything over 60 so was self regulating!

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

John 8:7

Now if we all were perfect then what would we moan about?

As for the question, I have crept above the limit but as a professional driver I know the risks and the abilities of my (now gone) outfit. Now before anyone says you can't know when a tyre will blow - the limits are higher in France and it was good enough to drive at those limits there.

Now for the explanation of John 8:7, I have yet to meet a driver who has NEVER exceeded the road speed limit.

I will keep my stones thanks ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Why do caravanners complain about other caravanners passing them then those same drivers do exactly that all the time solo ?

My observation is that caravanners observe the towing speed limits far more than solo drivers, some of whom caravan, observe their speed limits.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Most people are barely adequate drivers, and certainly can't deal with anything unexpected. Most are only concerned with their own journey and if they notice you at all they don't usually register that you are unable to manoeuvre easily. As I said previously, they seem to assume you have no acceleration and can stop on a sixpence, neither of which is true!

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

This has been done to death, can we not find something nice to say to each other, come on you lot be nice for a change.

This has been done to death, can we not find something nice to say to each other, come on you lot be nice for a change.

I am allowed to raise my point I think. ...

I think you illustrate my initial observation though but repeated rather than answered. ..why cant we all be nice to eachother on the road. ... more so when we are in thr same boat I. e. caravanners and motorhomes who surely understand more than the usual traffic flow.

Why do caravanners complain about other caravanners passing them then those same drivers do exactly that all the time solo ?

My observation is that caravanners observe the towing speed limits far more than solo drivers, some of whom caravan, observe their speed limits.

Im not sure I quite follow the point but I think you are asking why caravanners complain about other caravans passing them at speed and then go out and speed themselves when not towing.

Assuming I have your comments right. .. there is a difference. .. a speeding car going passed me towing makes little difference to me. ... a speeding caravan can easily cause uncomfortable shaking as does a motorhome or white van man. Hence I would not pass at speed another outfit when towing myself. ... but the solo car would not be so much of an issue.

I may have misunderstood your point though.

Edited by bob1982

Thinking about it, is this a hire issue? Huge numbers of motorhomes are hired, and many people are going to be hiring for the first time and have little idea of the capabilities (or not) of their vehicle. They will think it is just like their car.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I think you illustrate my initial observation though but repeated rather than answered. ..why cant we all be nice to eachother on the road. ... more so when we are in thr same boat I. e. caravanners and motorhomes who surely understand more than the usual traffic flow.

I understand your frustration, but there is never an answer, this thread will just go on and on and on the same as the others. You have your right to raise your point, as I have the right to leave this thread alone which I will, enjoy.

this is an ongoing point of debate and one that will never end really because, putting the law to one side, there will always be those who argue that their outfit is well matched and has no problem cruising at more than 60 mph. ...the problems arise when something unexpected happens. On my return home from a jaunt away yesterday on the M62 I was overtaken by two units - they were not going overly fast as I was behind a HGV doing around 56 mph but I noticed that they continued in lane 2 on a long down hill stretch vulnerable to crosswinds. Doubtless they will see nothing amiss and as they made their journey without incident (so far as I was aware) they will be none the wiser as to what may have occurred. I think it's important to learn from the experience and misfortune of others. I have seen a number of outfits - often well matched units - on their sides and I don't want to be in that position myself, so when I see outfits rocket past me, I just let them go and pray to God that they make it home without incident. It's all you can do really as education and common sense is too much to expect sometimes.

Thinking about it, is this a hire issue? Huge numbers of motorhomes are hired, and many people are going to be hiring for the first time and have little idea of the capabilities (or not) of their vehicle. They will think it is just like their car.

Hmmmm. ... interesting. ...that could be part of it. I assume hiring caravans may also be possible. ... may be part of it.

Edited by bob1982

Huge numbers of motorhomes are hired. ..........

Most people are barely adequate drivers. ..........

But non of us are prone to exaggerations? We are all perfect!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Im not sure I quite follow the point but I think you are asking why caravanners complain about other caravans passing them at speed and then go out and speed themselves when not towing.

Assuming I have your comments right. .. there is a difference. .. a speeding car going passed me towing makes little difference to me. ... a speeding caravan can easily cause uncomfortable shaking as does a motorhome or white van man. Hence I would not pass at speed another outfit when towing myself. ... but the solo car would not be so much of an issue.

I may have misunderstood your point though.

If being overtaken by large vehicles causes instability then your outfit is the issue - there will always be coaches and white vans overtaking you at legal speeds.

My point is that caravanners in general, not just you, complain at other caravanners speeding despite the fact that drivers in general speed almost as a "right" - there's no reason to expect caravanners to be any more law-abiding than any other group of drivers.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

If being overtaken by large vehicles causes instability then your outfit is the issue - there will always be coaches and white vans overtaking you at legal speeds.

My point is that caravanners in general, not just you, complain at other caravanners speeding despite the fact that drivers in general speed almost as a "right" - there's no reason to expect caravanners to be any more law-abiding than any other group of drivers.

I would disagree with you there. My outfit is easily within adequate parameters by any measure so thats all fine.

Being passed at 85 to 90 by other caravans very close to you will I am sure create a slight wobble added with winds etc. I dont believe it wouldnt. I am confident the outfit is not the issue on my specific case.

I think my point is a little deeper than the suggestion in that a caravan or motorhome driver should empathise more than normal traffic when passing. Personally if I do overtake another outfit I give a little more room and drop the speed a little. .. as I appreciate and respect their position. In this way I would expect more from a fellow camper than I would general traffic. So I do disagree.

85 - 90 from other caravans. ......

You lost the credibility of your argument there.

H.

Ok. Slightly exaggerated. ... didnt have a speed gun at the time. I think the point is perfectly valid and fair.

Ignore the technicalities. ... and little side lines. All I am saying is fellow campers should have more empathy shouldnt they? Am I misguided and expecting too much?

Edited by bob1982

Hi,

Bye & large caravaners hate motorhomes and motorhomes hate caravans--- nuff said !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Coming back in France yesterday. There was a silver range rover towing a twin axle super scirocco (think that was it) that came past me at what must have been 80+mph.

Tow limits in France are higher where the combined weight is less than 3500kg, so with that unit being over the limit he should have been towing at 90kmh (56mph). The van was skipping about all over the place.

Bob, I am 45 and been driving since I was 17, car drivers RARELY give me the mysterious brotherhood feeling that you are looking for.

I have been driving trucks since I was 21, truck drivers RARELY give me the mysterious brotherhood feeling that you are looking for.

There will always be fools on the road, driving all types of vehicles and they care not one bit about you, me or anyone else.

When they pass you, blow a raspberry, flip them the finger or just be thankful that they didn't crash into you.

Comradeship on the road has gone, you even say in your OP that they may well be the same ones that agree with you over a pint on the site.

H.

I think reading between the lines in a round about way I have my answer. Thanks for the input all.

Perhaps I expect too much. Useful thoughts and comments.

Edited by bob1982

When towing down to Costa del sol at 60mph avg you do get vans overtaking at surprizing speeds I ease off let them get a fair distance in front, then back to 60mph if they should have a problem I will be well out of their way .

Overtaking a car and van combination on Friday that was doing 35mph up the 7 mile straight from Boston, as I was pulling level they suddenly woke up and started to accelerate, this made the manouver way longer than it need to have been if they had stayed the same speed or just lifted their foot off the pedal slightly.

Why is it some people just do not know how to be overtaken easily?