Inline Pressure Switch Blowing Fuse

Hi,

My pressure switch has starting acting up, when I press the on switch to start pumping the water through, it fills the tank then the lights on the panel dim followed by the fuse blowing. It used to click when the pressure was up, I replaced external pump last year with a whale pump, but only this year have I experienced the problems. Is it time to replace the inline pressure switch, or am I able to repair?

Also the rear lens on the light cluster needs replacing, now that Avondale have ceased to exist, will I be to replace the light clusters with a generic set that will fit?

Cheers guys!!!

Mike

The pressure switch will not likely be repairable - you could try replacing it but that may not be the cause of the problem but at least you would rule that out.

Light lenses are normally third party and not Avondale proprietary, so you should be in luck. Post a picture or try and get make/model from the existing lens.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Cheers for that guys,

Iv just opened the pressure unit, and the micro switch is clicking when I press it, could it be that the little piston may not be moving for some reason, or is it worth just spending the £25 for a new one?

I'll check the sites out for the light lens. .. Cheers

Can't comment on the state of the pressure switch.

This site does just about everything for caravans, but it might pay to shop around.

http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/home/rear_lamps_and_marker_lights/rear_cluster_lights. aspx

Land Rover is now back towing.

Cheers for that guys,

Iv just opened the pressure unit, and the micro switch is clicking when I press it, could it be that the little piston may not be moving for some reason, or is it worth just spending the £25 for a new one?

I'll check the sites out for the light lens. .. Cheers

If you are talking about just the micro switch thats a heck of a rip off----- ! have a look at maplins cat, or R. S. cat or even Ebay but £25 for a micro -------------- Phew !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

It's unlikely to be the pressure switch blowing the fuse. Are you sure it's wired correctly? You say when you press on the micros witch the pump runs, on the designs I've seen the opposite is true. If the pressure switch isn't switching the pump off at the appropriate pressure, that could cause the fuse to blow as the pump takes increasing current as the pressure increases. If you leave a tap open does it pump ok then without blowing the fuse?

I meant £25 for the whole new unit. ...

I just took the micro switch out if the unit to check the switch was ok, when I clicked it, it wasn't wired in. it's the first time iv had the unit opened so I'm assuming the wiring hasn't been altered at all.

I think it could be down to the pump, the water runs when it is set to external, but if I select auto or internal, the lights dim on the display, and after about 5 seconds the fuse behind the switch panel blows, not the fuse in the main box. ..

Does the whale pump have a built in pressure switch? I just wondered IF the old pressure switch had been wired incorrectly across the pump supply, the whale pump switching off by itself before the pressure switch shorted out the supply. If either pressure switch adjustment had moved then the whale pump would continue pumping until the switch shorted out the supply.

Try running with the pressure switch disconnected.

Ok for an update, it seems the in line pressure switch with the pressure adjuster is working, iv now learnt that there is a secondary pressure switch to the ultrastore tank, when I run the pump selection switch set to external, it works and clicks on and off then stops clicking when it reaches pressure. When I select auto it starts to pump, but when it reaches pressure that's when the lights in the panel, and the the internal caravan lights dim and stay dimmed. I'm now guessing that the secondary pressure switch to the ultrastore tank is failing and causing the lights to dim. .. Will this pressure switch or pump be submerged in the tank?