Non Refundable Cancellation

Halohodge

Had to cancel a holiday with the Camping and Caravanning Club within the 30 day period, 27 days actually, and lost my £25. 00 deposit, at short notice due to unforseen family commitments, I know its in the condition of booking but it seems a bit unfair, if I had known of this clash I obviously would`nt have booked it in the first place, also being a member for over 25 years and as far as I can remember have only cancelled once before. Why cant they a more be like the Caravan Club where you pay on arrival, I know that you cant cancel at very short notice otherwise you get a black mark but it seems a bit more flexible.

I like the C & CC Club and have had many good holidays with them over many years from a small tent up to now a caravan, I just feel that perhaps there could be a gradual scale of refunds so nearer the booking date the less you get back.

Feel better now I got that of my chest. ;)

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

It does seem unfair, especially being as you notified them as soon as you could. I'm sure other's will disagree though.

I wish the CC would introduce deposits as it would put an end to all the block bookings. Oh no, here we go again :ph34r:

Interestigly this statement appears on the C&CC site regarding cancellation

The cancellation period is changing from seven days to 30 days to discourage pitch blocking and enable members to re book cancelled pitches.

(the bold italics are mine)

So it seems they are trying to deal with an issue that is a huge source of complaint at the CC (well on here it is) that you unfortunately have got caught up in.

It would do no harm to write to them and ask for a refund based on what you posted here

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Seems fair to me. Sorry you don't think so. Not trying to upset you personally but if these schemes are not in place and enforced then others will take the mickey.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Had to cancel a holiday with the Camping and Caravanning Club within the 30 day period, 27 days actually, and lost my £25. 00 deposit, at short notice due to unforseen family commitments, I know its in the condition of booking but it seems a bit unfair, if I had known of this clash I obviously would`nt have booked it in the first place, also being a member for over 25 years and as far as I can remember have only cancelled once before. Why cant they a more be like the Caravan Club where you pay on arrival, I know that you cant cancel at very short notice otherwise you get a black mark but it seems a bit more flexible.

I like the C & CC Club and have had many good holidays with them over many years from a small tent up to now a caravan, I just feel that perhaps there could be a gradual scale of refunds so nearer the booking date the less you get back.

Feel better now I got that of my chest. ;)

Seems that the deposit should make bookings more available . ............. as they loose members.

What does the £25 deposit cover? Is that per visit to a site?

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

The deposit system is the one reason we are not rejoining again next year. Have lost one myself due to ill health. Sticking to the far more sensible CC system.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Sorry but a deposit is a deposit. Why ask for it in the first place if you are going to refund it?

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

In my view the cancellation period of 30 days is unnecessarily long and the very reason I don't book until a few days before arrival on site and have not had any problem getting in. Previously the cancellation period was 7 days which I would think is far more reasonable. A fairer system would be for the deposit for a cancellation for between 7 and 30 days to be held against a future site visit. I suppose members will vote with their feet and if they start losing members they may be forced to reconsider. The same applies to their very strange pricing structure which means sites are more expensive the nearer the point of arrival you book. So in a way its a double whammy. Book early to get lower prices but risk losing your deposit or book late and pay higher site fees!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I suppose it's a bit annoying, but you pays your money and takes your choice, as for the cc version we booked onto a site in Deeside for 5 days via the reservation service but wanted to stay 8 hoping whilst there that a cancellation would come up, we got no joy through the week and managed to find a site to take us for the weekend before moving on for another 8 days in Fife, the weather broke on the friday and we were offered another couple of nights at 9pm as one unit had phoned to cancel, the other 6 pitches that remained empty were no shows according to the warden, having made another booking in good faith and without a reservation fee, we felt that we must honour our word and packed up and left on schedule the next day, a bit of a faff for us but a "so what" for the block booking brigade.

But if I was Halo I would phone the site and check to see if they had the pitch I had booked available for the period, just to make sure they hadn't managed to relet it and if so ask for my deposit to be returned.

I have no idea how the deposit works on C&C Club site bookings. I presume that if you cancel more than 30 days ahead you get a refund. I don't really like the idea of clubs having large deposits or not permitting a no loss cancellation until perhaps the week before. I know many private sites require a substantial deposit these days.

In my view the cancellation period of 30 days is unnecessarily long and the very reason I don't book until a few days before arrival on site and have not had any problem getting in. Previously the cancellation period was 7 days which I would think is far more reasonable. A fairer system would be for the deposit for a cancellation for between 7 and 30 days to be held against a future site visit. I suppose members will vote with their feet and if they start losing members they may be forced to reconsider. The same applies to their very strange pricing structure which means sites are more expensive the nearer the point of arrival you book. So in a way its a double whammy. Book early to get lower prices but risk losing your deposit or book late and pay higher site fees!

David

Doesn't sound very 'Friendly' David.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

My holiday comprised of three sites, 2 Caravan Club, one C & CC site, the two Caravan sites I cancelled online, no problem, the C & CC site I had to ring headquarters.

How do you feel about my suggestion for a gradual reduction in refunds nearer the arrival date, would that work, I think it would make it fairer, I thought I gave a very resonable amount off time, hardly last minute.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

£25 ?

I know you would rather have it in your pocket but it's not a huge penalty in the grand scheme of things. As others have said try writing to them, or vote with your feet.

Land Rover is now back towing.

The same applies to their very strange pricing structure which means sites are more expensive the nearer the point of arrival you book.

I think you'll find that the missing word in this sentence is "may" as in "may get more expensive" of course the same system means that they may get cheaper as well it all depends on how full the site is and the time of year

You know a bit like all the airlines, package holiday companies, railway companies and others do.

I think if you had to cancel at short notice due to death or illness for a family member (wife, children parents etc) or major disruption (fire, flood, tempest etc) then there should be a bit of leeway to recover or defer your deposit to a later time.

Cancelling because you've changed your mind, the weather is bad (unless the country grinds to a halt or you are flooded out) or you've forgotten a birthday/wedding isn't in my view a good enough reason.

Most holiday firms or even caravan sites want a non refundable deposit so the opportunity to get it back if you cancel before 30 days is pretty good in my view. Some would want the whole amount not just the deposit. The other answer is insurance although they tend to be a bit strict on valid reasons for cancelling.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Personally I think that if a site is cancelled with a weeks notice that within a club that should suffice. However if I had to cancel and loose £25 for unavoidable reasons I doubt that the loss of £25 would be my main worry.

Alan

When I lost my wheel in June I had to cancel two French bookings made via the CC. £200 ish but could so easily have been lots more but we were using ASCI elswhere.

Just had to put it down to experience. Thems the rules.

John.

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

When I lost my wheel in June I had to cancel two French bookings made via the CC. £200 ish but could so easily have been lots more but we were using ASCI elswhere.

Just had to put it down to experience. Thems the rules.

John.

Was this not covered by Travel insurance?

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Having to cancel for genuine reasons should bear no losses at all if the pitch is re-let. If not re-let it should depend on circumstances.

Last year whilst travelling between sites We not only wrote off the caravan, but car as well. We contacted the site we were going to and they immediately offered to hold/transfer the deposit to when I could go, which happened to be May this year.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

A couple of years ago I arrived at a CL site having pre-booked and paid a nominal, refundable on arrival deposit. I paid for 21 nights stay less the nominal deposit.

Due to my circumstances changing, after a few days on site I needed to leave the site for a week or so and return at a later date to take up the paid for balance, less the pitch fees the site owner was unable to re-book. On my return the site owner had been able to re-book the pitch for almost the full period of my absence. All I had to pay was for the two nights that he was unable to re-book the pitch.

This system worked very well for both owner and user of a small site as all no shows guaranteed about half a pitch fee for an empty pitch for one night. The site owner told me that the majority of no shows never called to say that they would not be taking up their pitch so he was unable to re-let it until the following night. Of the very small number who turned up a day or so later without reasonable explanation most were turned away without receiving a refund.

Wigglywoo asked. ... Was this not covered by Travel insurance?

It would have been if we had taken the option. In this case I have claimed it back of the assistance organisation who messed our holiday up, think I will get it, they are making their mind up at present. See here for more info on the sad event.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/96160-wheel-detachment/

We took the health insurance and recovery, but left the calculation part as, although it was supposed to be a long holiday, there was comparitavly little up front expenditure.

Because of the lack of planned holiday I have just booked a week at Lake Garda (flying). So I have extended the insurance to include cancellation.

Slightly off topic, just answering the question posed, sorry to the op.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

No wonder the C&CC is not making any money at all unlike the C C.

As the policy only came into force this year that seems to be a totally irrelevant comment about this thread and the health of the C&CC until the annual accounts are available!!

Further observation on the public areas of the C&CC site found this: -

Why has the Cancellation Period been extended to 30 days?

To be fair to all members, the cancellation period has been extended to 30 days so that the Club has enough time to make any cancelled pitches available to other members who may wish to camp at those locations.

The Club will continue its policy of flexibility and understanding when extenuating circumstances necessitate a cancellation

I think the deposit system is fair as it's there to protect against loss of income to the site owners, although I think a refund should be given if they manage to let the pitch to someone else.

I think the deposit system is fair as it's there to protect against loss of income to the site owners, although I think a refund should be given if they manage to let the pitch to someone else.

That would seem to be appropriate to small sites as a larger site could have a number of empty pitches at the time of the no show cancellation