Dilemma On 12V Tv Purchase

We have a 120w solar panel fitted whicih tops up a 110amp battery. However the TV at 60w and the Sky digibox at 42w kill the battery within several hours.

We are now considering purchasing either a 12v Cello or a Avtex TV. Both have built in satellite connections and decoders (not Sky) and seem to do everything required. The Cello is only 15w working and the Avtex is a bit more at about 25w however the Avtex does have HD facility. Both can record to a USB flash drive. Both are a lot lighter than our current set up.

Downside is that the Cello is unknown to us although it has good write ups and the Avtex is £130 more. After sales service is always our concern.

Can any one help to point us in the right direction? Thanks.

Avtex everytime, the set is very good and the after sales is the best in the industry. Just released are the latest models, thinner frame around the screen, and satin finish to the screen to address complaints about the glossy screen causing reflections, thy are on show at the Malvern show as we speak.

Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I found the show was not the best place to buy,

do you have a particular model in mind, are you

using an existing aerial.

https://www. roadpro. co. uk/retail/product_list. aspx?prod=Avtex+Televisions

Notice in your other thread you have been having probs with Freeview but if you get that sorted, there are 'mainstream' TVs with Freeview available through the normal channels which work off 12v and are much cheaper.

Sam :beardy:

Cello for me.

The lower power consumption is worth the effort.

It does have HD reception by the way, but only on satellite.

In practice, unless you're sitting a couple of feet from the screen it's very difficult to spot the difference between HD and SD pictures at this screen size.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Notice in your other thread you have been having probs with Freeview but if you get that sorted, there are 'mainstream' TVs with Freeview available through the normal channels which work off 12v and are much cheaper.

Thanks. One of our TVs in the caravan is a mainstream 240v TV, but is rated at 60w and drains the battery quickly in addition to the drain by the Sky digibox. The Cello or Avtex both have built in decoders and you can record onto a flash drive for viewing at a later stage. At the moment leaning towards Avtex but prcie si holding me back from clicking the "Buy now" button. LOL! :D

I have a Cello, but not the Traveller, as mine is only Freeview, but still 12Vdc. Good picture and easy to tune but sounds a bit tinny. For the price I would say very good. I got mine at the factory which is just down the road.

Edited by ian16527

We have an Avtex L185DRS, built-in Satellite and Freeview. We have had it for approximately 4 years, and it has been faultless. Picture quality is very good, sharp and crystal clear. The only issue we have is the glossy screen, you get too much reflection from the caravan windows, which spoils my F1 viewing on a Sunday afternoon, so the blinds come down!!

Would I get another, yes I would, it is a quality television and worth every penny.

David

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

I was looking at the 187DRS but then noticed it wan't Freesat so not as intuitive or the 7 day EPG. Think the Celo is the same. Pity really as adding a Freesat Tuner would have made it the dogs sphericals.

Like you, holding back on the Buy It Now button for this year.

We had the L216DRS delivered yesterday and the picture is brilliant. However thought it was locked into a tilt position, but just very stiff. happy bunny after phoning Avtex.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Glad you got yourself sorted, just fyi, I went for the Cello Traveller and have not looked back, excellent piece of kit. With a solar panel you dont even notice it is using any power, even with the DVD or Satelite working. ..

Bit late now as you have bought, but we have a Cello and it is also faultless. Sound is what you would expect for this size of equipment.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Bit late now as you have bought, but we have a Cello and it is also faultless. Sound is what you would expect for this size of equipment.

After using the Avtex in the caravan over the Bank holiday weekend we are very disappointed. There is a glass screen in front which is highly reflective making viewing during the day nearly impossible unless you draw all the blinds including the one on the overhead skylight. At night it has a brilliant picture.

Next if you are using a satellite dish like we were, when using the EPG the fields are all blank and to see what program in showing on a channel one has to click on the blank field. The EPG for FTA only shows the current program and the next program so you cannot record a program 2 or more hours ahead.

I am not sure if the Cello has a glass screen in front, but if it hasn't then it is a better buy than the Avtex even though you cannot record using the EPG for FTA. If the Cello does not have a glass screen in front then we rather get a refund for the difference and buy the Cello. The Avtex is a big £400 disappointment!

Missing a Freesat tuner though :(

Never thought of that, I've got sky plus

I have a Freesat HD box but my reason for looking at these TVs is to eliminate an 'extra' box.

I have a Freesat HD box but my reason for looking at these TVs is to eliminate an 'extra' box.

None of them come with a Freesat tuner however you get a free To air tuner for satellite. We were confused by the FTA and Freesat terminology which is why we made the wrong assumption. To watch Freesat you need to buy a Freesat receiver or use a Sky Digibox which then defeats the object of paying a high price for the Avtex.

DT, am I also correct in stating that FtA doesn't include EPG whereas Freesat does?

None of them come with a Freesat tuner however you get a free To air tuner for satellite. We were confused by the FTA and Freesat terminology which is why we made the wrong assumption. To watch Freesat you need to buy a Freesat receiver or use a Sky Digibox which then defeats the object of paying a high price for the Avtex.

Yes I was aware of that, as per post #12

DT, am I also correct in stating that FtA doesn't include EPG whereas Freesat does?

That is correct, again as post #12 the Freesat EPG is not included.

Earlier this year (April, I think) Aldi had a 21. 5" 240 \ 12v TV \ DVD combi that can also play various media files from a USB hard drive. You can also use the hard drive to record TV programs. No satellite decoder though.

Was in our local store a couple of days ago and saw they still had on offer. Unfortunately, it was the last one (display) and the cables were missing but in their usual customer focussed approach a member of staff called around a number of other branches and, eventually, he sourced one in Oban of all places! It's being transferred to our local store and will be with us in a day or two.

OK so we're taking a bit of a chance being sight unseen (but manual downloaded from their website) however with a price of £120, a 60 day return policy and three year guarantee would rather take a "risk" with this than paying multiples of this for a "dedicated brand" name. No disrespect to any who have bought these brands as the proof of the pudding . ...... will tell for us.