Floor Timber Preservation

Lee21

We were considering buying a new 2015 Bailey Unicorn but since they are not doing a Pampalona layout we have decided to stick with our Barcelona for now.

When I was installing the mover and underneath it for the first time I was quite shocked to see it was what I assume to be marine ply on the bottom. I don't know what I expected but I certainly did not expect it to be wooden.

My question is with regard to up-keep and maintenance of the wood and do you have to treat it periodically or is there a coating of some description to ensure it does not rot away?

I Waxoyled the chassis A frame and the mover metal bits before we put it in storage for the winter last year but did not think about wood preservation at the time

Edited by Lee21

They don't normally recommend treating underfloors these days.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

It is marine ply, and is waterproof. No maintenance necessary.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

As gravon say's, it's marine ply and has already been treated. You don't need to Waxoyl the chassis either as it's already galvanised

We had marine ply on our boat for twenty years and the only stuff that deteriorated was that which had varnish on it where water got in behind it and then couldn't evaporate away.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

That's settles that then . ..Thanks for the replies