First Time Out...

Mick n Debbs

We picked up our Lunar Clubman SE on Friday and are currently staying at the Shardlow Marina site near Derby.

The tow here was uneventful but it should have been as it was only five miles or so. The journey home will give the vans stability a test as high winds are forecast.

The van is comfortable with a great fixed bed, the only downside being the front seats which are a tad short to lie down on. I suppose that is the penalty of having the bathroom across the back of the van.

Although four years old the van still looks great and the lack of gaudy graphics (at first I thought it looked too plain and understated) give off an air of class.

Most things have been straightforward, just as well as our handover was very poor - virtually no information given to us apart from a handbook. We have struggled with the Alde wet system and although the manual is present I find it very complicated especially having used the far simpler Truma blown air unit many years ago. am still unclear if the water is heated by default when the heating is not on? It works as does the heating but the whole system seems to be hit and miss and not helped by the fact the display unit is so small I can hardly see it!

Overall the van is fantastic but please do not get me started about inflatable awnings which again we struggled with. Having spoken to campers on site we are not the only ones the biggest bugbear seems to be getting a seal from the awning to the van. Admittedly not helped by the lack of pegs (we borrowed some) and one of the rings which had fallen off the awning. We are not going to be too judgemental until we have had another go but three people I have spoken to are unsure if there are any benefits over conventional awnings.

Packing up soon and looking forward to seeing how stable the outfit is on our 90 mile journey home. The car is a Mazda 6 Touring and is very gutsy solo but not sure how it will perform with the Clubman attached.

The short front dinette is the penalty of a transverse fixed bed in a single-axle caravan - there's only so much space - the longer Delta twin-axle version gives a full-size front dinette.

If you've got gas and/or electric selected as "on" on the Alde control panel, then hot water will be automatic - if you caravan at colder times of year, you may find that Lunar's installation of the Alde gives poor air flow and low heat output - it can be corrected by moving the ventilation boards 10mm further from the walls, remounting the false front bulkhead and cutting holes inside the front bedboxes to improve air circulation.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

The short front dinette is the penalty of a transverse fixed bed in a single-axle caravan - there's only so much space - the longer Delta twin-axle version gives a full-size front dinette.

If you've got gas and/or electric selected as "on" on the Alde control panel, then hot water will be automatic - if you caravan at colder times of year, you may find that Lunar's installation of the Alde gives poor air flow and low heat output - it can be corrected by moving the ventilation boards 10mm further from the walls, remounting the false front bulkhead and cutting holes inside the front bedboxes to improve air circulation.

Correct and Lunar did the modification for us FOC by cutting two holes on either side under the chest of drawers in the front (out of sight) and also putting in vents along the top panel by the front windows. Made a massive difference to heating. This mod is now standard in newer Lunars with ALDE heating.

Correct and Lunar did the modification for us FOC by cutting two holes on either side under the chest of drawers in the front (out of sight) and also putting in vents along the top panel by the front windows. Made a massive difference to heating. This mod is now standard in newer Lunars with ALDE heating.

Is there any chance you could take a picture of this mod and post it please? I have a Delta Ti and would be interested in doing this to ours.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Is there any chance you could take a picture of this mod and post it please? I have a Delta Ti and would be interested in doing this to ours.

Your lucky day as I have a picture on file. The holes under the chest of drawers allow a better air flow due to convection. They are round and about 2 - 3 inches in diameter. How old is your caravan as you may be able to get it done under warranty? If not, Sale of Goods Act as not fit for purpose. Worth a try?

post-65184-0-28393700-1408270437_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeltaTIowner

I have a 2013 Lunar lexon 640 and my set up is as your photo, and it is toasty in the van when it is cold outside. I have only set it to about 22/23 oc but I don't camp in the depths of winter. I like the radiator in the bathroom which is also nice and warm in the morning. Good van especially now we have had the new style window replacement done.

Edited by pagan

Generally nothing wrong with the ALDE system even though we have never liked it but have to live with it, however Lunar install it badly in their caravans and It does not heat up the caravan properly.

Generally nothing wrong with the ALDE system even though we have never liked it but have to live with it, however Lunar install it badly in their caravans and It does not heat up the caravan properly.

Unlike the Truma blown air which every maker installed badly by having long uninsulated pipe runs under the floor - but the old Truma blown air was easier to correct the installation faults and when installed properly warmed the caravan up much quicker on just 2kw electric than the Alde does on 3kw electric plus 5kw gas.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Unlike the Truma blown air which every maker installed badly by having long uninsulated pipe runs under the floor - but the old Truma blown air was easier to correct the installation faults and when installed properly warmed the caravan up much quicker on just 2kw electric than the Alde does on 3kw electric plus 5kw gas.

The biggest boon with the old system was the blown air as you could get the air to circulate in the summer when it was hot plus your other points.