Fix Handbrake

wrx fifer

so as the title states the handbrake on the new caravan does not only pull up but goes all the way back as far as it goes near 180 degrees, so this will need fixed, among other things.

now I am good with a spanner on our cars and do all my own servicing, brakes, timing and the likes but have never worked on a caravan mechanically before, and have not even had a proper look at it yet underneath to assess what needs doing as left it in my mates unit.

but my questions are, what is this more than likely to be? the cable needing replaced? or something else? and how easy in general is the handbrake to do on a twin axle 4 wheel caravan? I presume they are all mostly much the same?

any and all help/advice much appreciated.

totally new to all this bought our first cheap van and here to learn!!

My handbrake goes back past vertical. I think that is normal. I might be corrected??

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

On a new caravan put the handbrake on then push the caravan backwards, the handbrake should then move fully into the vertical position. You shouldn't be able to do it any other way.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

I would check if the auto reverse has not engaged allowing the hand brake to not engage properly.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

?

I think it means that if the auto-reverse is still engaged when the hand brake is applied it will go to a vertical position.

thanks for the info so far, well as just got it and not had another look until tomorrow as I said I left it in a mates unit, but it was pushed BACKWARDS to the spot I wanted it in then pulled on the hand brake, but when I say near 180 degrees this does not seem right, it has actually cracked the plastic a frame cover with it going so far back(further than meant) as it has touched the plastic a frame cover and went through it and cracked it all down one side, was already like this I might add, and knew this before purchase that I was going to have to sort it, going back up tomorrow to have a proper look at it and as you say push it back and fourth.

but is it one cable that runs from hand brake underneath the can then splits in two at some sort of t brace or something then diverting to two wheels or all four etc? do all the hubs have hand brake shoes for example? as never even had a caravan wheel off before so basically know zero about it at this point but am looking forward to learning and sorting it this week coming, just was after what ever information I could get first.

thanks again Grant

Reading your last post it does sound like you have a problem. ..is 180 degrees a realistic estimate (straight up would be 90 degrees), if yes then you will have a major problem. As it's a new caravan I would advise that you contact your dealer ASAP, he may have to arrange a trailer to return to his workshop as it may be too dangerous to tow.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Hi and sorry, when I say new I mean new to me and NOT brand new lol, if it was brand new like this I would not have taken it, so it's a second hand used van that's a good few years old, and was like this when bought as I say and knew this, the plan was to fix it and a few other things this year so ready for maybe next sort of thing.

and yes when hand brake is sitting in it's normal OFF position facing sort of forward above the hitch where they all sit, then as you pull it on and up to lets say the VERTICAL position(straight up) then it pull right back and down so is basically facing in to the van so maybe not quite 180 degree's but maybe 160-170 degree's or so, I am hoping I am explaining myself ok and understandable I am not the best at explaining things but as said right over and back then in to the plastics and has cracked them all at some point in previous, so I am pretty sure it's going to need fixing or replacing of parts etc and some work, when I am more than happy to do, was only questioning what they are maybe common for or anything that normally goes etc, and how they basically work, I mean I will be in and about it this week to strip and fix what ever is needing done was merely looking for a heads up to be honest.

thanks Grant

thanks

I would of thought its a BPW chassis ? Jack it up and spin the wheels in a forward motion apply the handbrake then try and turn them forward they should hold tight then try and reverse the wheel in one revolution the brake should release as the auto reverse allows it to turn .

To adjust turn the wheels forward then use a pin to lock the auto reverse and this will stop the auto reverse while you adjust the brakes . Adjust the shoes till they just rub . Do the same on all wheels checking they hold forward but release in reverse .

Then adjust the quadrants and rods to allow a slight play . BPW website has servicing info on chassis

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, so with a lot of help from various forums and a lot of brake new parts we are getting there, turns out inside each of the 4 drums someone had removed the expanders, that the brake cables hook on to, however.

bought genuine Knott brakes systems all round all 4 hubs, new expanders, new one shot nuts, even some new brake rod bar as had to replace a section of this as it broke.

so everything is back together brakes and hubs back on all hand brake cables in place and connected both ends and some adjustments made but not final. !

However the hand brake lever is still going back around the 160 degrees at a guess, don't get me wrong there is pressure there but after is pulled up to an approximate vertical (ON) position you have to keep a hold of it as it wants to snap backward, with force which has clearly happened at some point before we bought it as the plastic cover is cracked due to this I would have said.

anyway as we don't know what this hand brake assembly is supposed to look like we don't know if there is something missing or whatever? just seems like there is something not right here, and have spent a fair amount of cash on so far basically doing a full overhaul! so have attached a couple of pictures to see if anyone can give advice or help with it at all.

one of the pictures from underneath is showing the hand brake lever off and the other on as you can see it is right back and over and underneath you can see this also!

just tried to add pictures from photobucket account and wont let me to do will try from pc?

looks like from the size I can only add one picture per post unless I am reading it wrong?

this one is showing it off from underneath

and this one is shoeing it ON so the hand brake lever right the way back, just cant help but think that's there is something not right here somewhere but am scratching my head

post-66248-0-54111800-1409759041_thumb.jpg

post-66248-0-05859700-1409759409_thumb.jpg

post-66248-0-66003800-1409759552_thumb.jpg

looks like from the size I can only add one picture per post unless I am reading it wrong?

this one is showing it off from underneath

and this one is shoeing it ON so the hand brake lever right the way back, just cant help but think that's there is something not right here somewhere but am scratching my head

The amount of trave of the hanbrake lever is controlled by the adjustment of the brakes, connecting rod and cables.

First adjust the brakes. then with brake lever off, adjust the brake rod from the lever to the bridle in front of the axle.

If you don't know what you are doing get somebody that does.

Thanks for the advice, I will start again another day, the whole idea of doing it myself was because I want to do it, and gain the experience with it so I can then carry out brakes and such like in the future, as I service all my own cars, including brakes, engines out, timing etc etc, I thought although not knowing anything about caravans, was something I wanted to do, as stated above, the van is not going on the road until next year and is a project, and I take projects seriously regardless of what they are or what's involved, and braking is a very serious issue and it will be 100% before any road use regardless, so with that all said, IF I get super stuck and cant get good advice or help and becomes impossible then yes an expert on these matters will be involved, but only at that point, in my years of working on lots of race car projects, I have always found that ZERO knowledge is picked up from letting others do the work for you and gives you very little job satisfaction.

thanks