How Is A Creaking Floor Likely To Be Repaired?

Ivordampun

Have just been beneath my 2014 Quartz while the wife walked in the washroom and rear bedroom area, (she is quite light in stature, so less than average size or weight) and the creaking was considerable and the floor was moving up and down a bit to say the least.

I checked all 4 corner steadies and can just move all the pads between concrete and steady legs, so no jacking effect exerted anywhere.

No signs of it moving at chassis rails or the join between 2 floor panels, so eliminated any issue there.

The question is, is it delamination and what are likely repair options on a van a few months old.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last year I had similar problems and posted on Swift forum. ..........all the replies were to the effect that it wasn't likely to be the floor. ..but the combination of loose cabinets, bed ends etc. .....or even the fire.

So I put new brackets on bed ends and lockers and that got rid of about 30% of the bounce and creaking, then I gave it to dealers and found that the bolt through the axle cover was loose and that reduced the creaking by another 40%, the next thing was to add styrene pads between the fixed and moving cabinets. ..........another 10% went. ..........

So still not perfect but good enough on a 4 year old 'van. ........if I had a 2014 Sterling I would not be worrying about it here too much but take it along to the dealer for sorting, at their expense. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Last year I had similar problems and posted on Swift forum. ..........all the replies were to the effect that it wasn't likely to be the floor. ..but the combination of loose cabinets, bed ends etc. .....or even the fire.

So I put new brackets on bed ends and lockers and that got rid of about 30% of the bounce and creaking, then I gave it to dealers and found that the bolt through the axle cover was loose and that reduced the creaking by another 40%, the next thing was to add styrene pads between the fixed and moving cabinets. ..........another 10% went. ..........

So still not perfect but good enough on a 4 year old 'van. ........if I had a 2014 Sterling I would not be worrying about it here too much but take it along to the dealer for sorting, at their expense. ..

Geoff ]

Thanks Geoff, some good things there to bear in mind, problem is I can see the floor moving from underneath, yet where there is a similar large open space between door and kitchen area it is solid.
Not really wishing to pre-empt what the dealer response will be, but given that attempts have already been made on sorting this and other issues, starting to concern me a bit what with £20k+ invested here!

Ouch. ..

Geoff

Ps I had a Lunar like that and it ended up with half a tropical rain forest underneath,in the form of a hardwood spar running the length of the underfloor!

Geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The floor on my 2007 Coachman ViP 520/4 was creaking just in front of the cooker.

Showing early signs of de lamination I fitted a strengthening bar to the underside of the floor between the chassis at the jacking points. It cleared the squeak altogether and has stopped the floor moving.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Sorry. See below.

Edited by Bridgetown Caravans

Have just been beneath my 2014 Quartz while the wife walked in the washroom and rear bedroom area, (she is quite light in stature, so less than average size or weight) and the creaking was considerable and the floor was moving up and down a bit to say the least.

I checked all 4 corner steadies and can just move all the pads between concrete and steady legs, so no jacking effect exerted anywhere.

No signs of it moving at chassis rails or the join between 2 floor panels, so eliminated any issue there.

The question is, is it delamination and what are likely repair options on a van a few months old.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Its difficult to say whether or not there is a delamination problem without looking at it. We have carried out a number of pre purchase reports on 2014 Swift vans and have found the floors to be sound. You must take back to dealer if you are concerned.

The only problem at the moment with getting Swift vans repaired appears to be waiting times, we have one customer for whom we carried out an independent inspection for has been told they have to wait until mid feb 2015 for there van to go back to Swift for repair.

Speak to your dealer in the first instance. Swift have a good reputation for putting repairs right to a good standard so you should have no problems with them.

SImon

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 sterling searcher elite about 2 months old now and its awful,its got to go back in for a new back panel that was faulty on collection but we have now used it twice and the floor is like a springboard. even when the wife is cleaning her teeth in the bathroom the whole van wobbles. [ have bought big feet for the legs but its no different. when the van goes in to have the new back panel in 3 weeks I have told the dealer I want it checking out, its total unacceptable. on mine I wondered whether it could be something to do with the woodless smart construction, which the salesman told me made it stronger