Malc Edge

Really as the title says.

Is there a heavy and powerfull and stable convertable car out there that can easily tow my Bailey Senator Indiana.

As I have always towed with a heavy 4x4 I do not want tow with a vehicle that is "on the limits"of its capabilty so the medium size cars do not appeal to me.

We carry a lot of stuff when we go on our yearly trip to France for 5 weeks.

The weather is usually pretty good there ( although sadly not this year ) so we would like to enjoy the sunshine with the hood down.

I need to change my Land Rover discovery and my wifes convertable so I was thinking is there a vehicle that could replace both the disco and my wifes convertable ?

Could spend up to £30,000 and would prefer new.

What suggestions would you have and does anybody tow with a convertable ?

Thanks, malc

Your budget of £30,000 new is very restrictive - difficult to get a Discovery weight car at that price. Most convertibles at that price are based on compact cars like the Astra-based Cascada.

How about an estate or SUV with a good panoramic opening sunroof?

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Merc cab E250 .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Volvo C70 D4 ?

http://www. volvocars. com/uk/all-cars/volvo-c70/specifications/pages/technical-spec. aspx

There won't be much room in the back of convertibles.

No longer available new

Merc cab E250 .

Dave

At £36,000 upwards, a tad over the £30,000 budget.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

No longer available new

At £36,000 upwards, a tad over the £30,000 budget.

He said "preferred " new Theres plenty ( well a few) Merecedes approved used 1-2 yrs old within budget

Thats easy. My Audi A4 cabrio 3. 0 Tdi S line Quattro has pulled my Olympus 534 effortlessly around France and UK.

It has coped with snow as if its not there. It is a joy to drive with the top down and music going and makes the journey to the Med fly by. It gives me 45mpg solo and 25mpg towing my Adria. We've had it from 6 months old and to this day it hasn't missed a beat.( 63K)

Stopped making them in 2009 so you'll get a cracking low miler and still have a shedload of cash. In my opinion you don'y need to look anywhere else.

Be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thats easy. My Audi A4 cabrio 3. 0 Tdi S line Quattro has pulled my Olympus 534 effortlessly around France and UK.

It has coped with snow as if its not there. It is a joy to drive with the top down and music going and makes the journey to the Med fly by. It gives me 45mpg solo and 25mpg towing my Adria. We've had it from 6 months old and to this day it hasn't missed a beat.( 63K)

Stopped making them in 2009 so you'll get a cracking low miler and still have a shedload of cash. In my opinion you don'y need to look anywhere else.

Be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks R&B going to look into this model.

May PM you if it looks suitable.

thanks, malc

I assume the MTPLM is around 1500kg?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You could try a Rolls Royce Corniche convertible, Oz Clark and Hugh Dennis used one for one of their series on wine and seemed to like it. You might struggle on the budget though.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Don't forget the Chrysler 300C which has comfort and the pulling power.

And for free it's pig ugly too.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

i tow with an E250 CDi AMG Sport Estate - a 1800kg (MAM) Hobby (Single axle) (Mass as we tow, circa 1700kg) - self leveling suspension - 204 BHP - good 7-speed box - circa 47 MPG Solo (real world) up to 56 MPG trying - 30-32 MPG with the 'van on it's back - £140 to tax per year - HUGE boot - 1840kg kerb weight - Comfortable - 7. 8 seconds to 60 so ain't slow - and we paid, a smidge over 30k for her - she was New, had 27 miles on her, but was PreReg.

Al.

Just fitted a towbar to our Saab 93 convertible in readiness for the next trip. Saab is petrol and i'm wondering if fuel consumption will be sky high or not as it is fairly high geared.

i tow with an E250 CDi AMG Sport Estate - a 1800kg (MAM) Hobby (Single axle) (Mass as we tow, circa 1700kg) - self leveling suspension - 204 BHP - good 7-speed box - circa 47 MPG Solo (real world) up to 56 MPG trying - 30-32 MPG with the 'van on it's back - £140 to tax per year - HUGE boot - 1840kg kerb weight - Comfortable - 7. 8 seconds to 60 so ain't slow - and we paid, a smidge over 30k for her - she was New, had 27 miles on her, but was PreReg.

Good choice and don't forget the 500nm of torque! one helluva engine.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

+1

Similar to a BMW? :D

There's always one. .. :rolleyes:

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

What about a used 6 series convertible? I'm sure 30k would get you a very nice one.

Big car & a whole range of different engines.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

What about a used 6 series convertible? I'm sure 30k would get you a very nice one.

Big car & a whole range of different engines.

Yes looked at that, could be the way to go. Look impresive but may need to up my budget to get a low miler. Wife likes them as well. no suprise there then :blink:

Yes looked at that, could be the way to go. Look impresive but may need to up my budget to get a low miler. Wife likes them as well. no suprise there then :blink:

I would have thought you could get a nice one with your original budget, but then I've not really looked at top end beemas for a few years - not nearly enough seats for our clan!!

Good luck with your search :D

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

There is only one such car that exists . ...............

post-50503-0-04990400-1408386691_thumb.jpg

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Hi R&B we have volve c70 tows no problem we toured all over france with top up and down no problem up hill down dale .

very very stable we get just short of 40mpg running about solo and just done a trip taking van away for daughter and got our usual 29mpg. if you check out our profile you will see picks of us set up in provence last summer

you can pick good models up now ours is the d5 manual

if you need any more info give us a shout on here and we can try to help as much as possible .

Hi R&B we have volve c70 tows no problem we toured all over france with top up and down no problem up hill down dale .

very very stable we get just short of 40mpg running about solo and just done a trip taking van away for daughter and got our usual 29mpg. if you check out our profile you will see picks of us set up in provence last summer

you can pick good models up now ours is the d5 manual

if you need any more info give us a shout on here and we can try to help as much as possible .

I see they do not make the convertable any more,however second hand models are well priced but I could not find one any where near where we live so I have been unable to view one,still looking tho. Thanks, malc