Vw Tiguan Close Call

tonyfereno

Hi all

Just traded our Renault espace in for a vw tiguan it's the 177 dsg which on paper looked a good tow car, however towing down to Cornwall for our summer hols, we were in the middle lane taking over a Hgv when a car went past in the fast lane which started the caravan fish tailing, the lunar 626 is a long caravan could this be the reason also the boot of the car didn't have much in it .

We love the car but don't fancy towing again with it after that and we are looking at the toureg now

We loaded the caravan over the chassis as normal and we had our bikes in too but it wasn't overloaded.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome, the annoying thing is we didn't know the van was on the back of the espace.

I've left the caravan in Cornwall until I get sorted :-)

Thanks

Tony

What was the hitchweight?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Just had a look at the specs, seems a reasonable match for an experienced driver, and similar ratios to my combo. and mine is very stable indeed.

As BFM said did you have the right hitch / nose weight and car rear tyre pressures? And of course, how quickly were you going?

Very surprised to hear of your experience, I have a Tiguan and tow @ 87% feels great on the back.

I feel your issue may not be with the tow-car based on my experience of the car.

If only I could live in a caravan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very long caravan running at close to 100% match hitched up to a relatively short and light car - can`t say I`m in the least surprised.

It may have a towing limit of 2200kgs, but that is irrelevant when it comes to dragging caravans.

Thankfully no-one was hurt, and the OP has adopted a sensibly cautious approach to resolving the situation.

Im thinking on the lines of. ..

1. what exactly over the axle. ..

2. how many bikes and where stored. ..

3 speed. .. assume excess of 55mph. ..

Personally if your saying car boot was empty. .. put more weight in it as the user payload doesnt seem high for a 6 berth. it's actually less than out Lunar Solaris. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Very long caravan running at close to 100% match hitched up to a relatively short and light car - can`t say I`m in the least surprised.

It may have a towing limit of 2200kgs, but that is irrelevant when it comes to dragging caravans.

Thankfully no-one was hurt, and the OP has adopted a sensibly cautious approach to resolving the situation.

Absolutely gobsmaked !!!!!!!!!!!

Your response begs belief

If only I could live in a caravan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a tiguan for a year and it towed ok. Never had any fishtailing etc as I believe it has ASR anti skid etc. I just didn't like the manual gearbox and seats so got rid. Mine was the 140 engine but it still had enough grunt for towing. I wouldn't have thought it would have been the car that was the problem as I see quite a few towing the larger vans. Maybe as others suggest it requires a different loading technique for car and van.

Perhaps the OP could provide us with some figures to allow us to give better advice:

Car kerbweight

Van MTPLM

Van noseweight

Land Rover is now back towing.

A surprising read as I feel the tiguan is a brill towcar. I've never had atc activated whist towing too. I'd check the outfits loading and hitch weight. Something somewhere is a miss.

Caravanless. ...

I too have a Tiguan and have towed with it for 5 years. Have never had any reason to doubt its' abiliities. Our van weighs 1500kg and I wouldn't want to tow over that weight.

It's not the car but the way you have loaded the van with not enough weight in the car.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

The Tig beat the Mazda CX-5 in the towcar test when the Mazda was included, it won the section.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, often changing a car just towing the same caravan can lead to different characteristics.

When I changed from a T30 to a T31 xtrail I was alarmed to find every passing CAR was felt, towing the same caravan, and with the same nose weight of 85kg.

Only an increase in NW to 90-95kg sorted it, along with a slightly slower tow speed, not that I usually go over 60mph anyway.

The T31 had a longer rear overhang and I believe softer rear suspension, it also had 60 profile tyres compared to previously 65, which in theory should have improved towing stability.

So I would recommend you increase your NW, you have the advantage of having a 100kg limit I believe.

And load your boot or at least the back seat area, move heavy items from the caravan to the car.

Wind direction, road conditions, your tig could be tramlining? all make a caravan unsteady and more susceptible to white van man speeding past, and if all else fails reduce speed until you find a comfortable tow.

Having towed over 90% for over 3 years I don't think you're ratio has any bearing, and I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy a heavy weight car to try and sort it.

IMO loading is the most important factor to enable good stability.

Good post xtrailman and I agree I don't think the car is the reason it started swaying, I think we need a bit more info from the OP as to what speed he was going, what the weather was like, what vehicle actually overtook him and probably more important how the caravan was loaded regarding the bikes.

The weather over the last week or so has been atrocious with high winds and rain so maybe that had a part to play, we towed back from Devon a few days ago and where normally I would toddle along at 60-ish but I found that wasn't a comfortable speed due to the buffeting winds etc so dropped to 50-55mph and it was more stable a ride.

Glad everyone's ok tho and nothing horrible happened

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

There was a particular piece of motorway towing down near Essex that was badly tramlined and made the van feel twitchy about two years ago. Others commented that they had found the same. As said before without knowing more such as noseweight, tyre pressures of van and car it iis difficult to comment.

My van feels a tad flighty when towed empty due to a very low ex-works noseweight. (From memory around 60kg). When I take it for a service I keep my speed down. When I needed to tow to Alde - about 200 miles I put a large box of canned stuff etc at the front of the van and gas bottles in.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Whilst many caravanners struggle to cope with excess noseweight, ie beyond the towbar or caravan hitch limits - it's insufficient noseweight that is one of the major factors causing instability - not that the other factors can be ignored though.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Having had a Tiguan 177TDi R Line Manual since December last year I have to say I am less than impressed.

Stability has not been an issue BUT my previous Yeti was better, my 170 Yeti also felt more responsive and 6th gear was much more useable. Economy is also not what I expected.

Can't see me hanging onto it for too long.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design