What Adhesive To Use For New Timber?

Hiya

My sister has damp in her 16 year old caravan by the toilet box. We have removed all the rotten timber but now need to replace it. One of the timber battens ran along the seam of the aluminium on the side of the caravan, there is a lot of old glue there from what I guess was originally used to fix the seam together. Do we need to pick off all the old glue and what do we use to fix all the new timber back on to the aluminium?

Any help would be great, thank you?

Remove as much of the old glue as possible without damaging the aluminium and use a contact adhesive to refix the batten.

One of the Sikaflex range would probably be ideal

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I'd go with sikaflex or Soudal fixall, fixall in particular is really good at any form of fixing. Aluminium because of it be non porous requires something that will really grip to it, I suspect contact adhesives like evostick would peel off with very little force, I may be wrong on this but I would be confident with fixall for sure.

I'd go with sikaflex or Soudal fixall, fixall in particular is really good at any form of fixing. Aluminium because of it be non porous requires something that will really grip to it, I suspect contact adhesives like evostick would peel off with very little force, I may be wrong on this but I would be confident with fixall for sure.

I suspect that it would also be more forgiving with regard to adhesion to the traces of existing glue.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

see

Sikaflex 512 . ... Caravan Adhesive & Sealant for Caravans, Motor Homes & Trailers

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I would agree with using Soudal products - I have used their sealant to bed the glass in on my allotment greenhouse. The plot is in a very open position and in constant sunshine, when we get it :D

It's stood up for three years now and looks like it will last for a considerable number of years.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

I would agree with using Soudal products - I have used their sealant to bed the glass in on my allotment greenhouse. The plot is in a very open position and in constant sunshine, when we get it :D

It's stood up for three years now and looks like it will last for a considerable number of years.

What was the product you used as I too need a greenhouse fixing but need a good outdoor adhesive to join aluminium to acrylic panels?

Compass Shadow 1988

What was the product you used as I too need a greenhouse fixing but need a good outdoor adhesive to join aluminium to acrylic panels?

It was this stuff http://www. diy. com/nav/decor/decorating-tools-and-supplies/glue-tape-adhesives-sealants/sealants/-specificproducttype-glazing___frame_sealants/Soudal-Trade-Glazing-Silicone-Clear-Sealant-300ml-11348656?skuId=11858856

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

Sudall fix all even works underwater apparently and you don't have to prep the surfaces too carefully either.

I used it to stick my solar panel on.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi