Youview Box On 12V?

fatgit

We take our Youview pvr with us in the caravan but are about to start using no-EHU sites.

The box runs off a 12v adapter, so would it run directly from the 12v clipsal socket with an appropriate lead (or if I fit a car type 12v socket etc) or would the possibly higher battery voltage require some form of regulator?

Thanks

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Youview pvr? I have a couple of hard drives that I record to and copy to films etc. Is that the same?

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Youview is a freeview HD recorder that also has catchup TV and TV On Demand.

You can record on it, or go back through the TV guide for the last 7 days to watch programmes you have missed etc.

Ours is a TalkTalk branded one (made by Huawei), BT do them and Humax also make them.

Edited by fatgit

We take our Youview pvr with us in the caravan but are about to start using no-EHU sites.

The box runs off a 12v adapter, so would it run directly from the 12v clipsal socket with an appropriate lead (or if I fit a car type 12v socket etc) or would the possibly higher battery voltage require some form of regulator?

Thanks

If you are running from a battery only, the voltage will be ok, about 12. 5v, if you were running it on 12v while on EHU, that would be a problem, as you would be running nearer 14v which could cause problems.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

If you are running from a battery only, the voltage will be ok, about 12. 5v, if you were running it on 12v while on EHU, that would be a problem, as you would be running nearer 14v which could cause problems.

post deleted . . senior moment

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I considered an inverter, but as nme2no1 said, it's inefficient.

We'd only use it on 12v when there's no EHU - where we do have the EHU then we'd just use 240v.

We will be adding a solar charging system - either 80w or 100w so I'm not sure if that would make a difference to the voltage.

Why is it inefficient?

I ran one for a week in our van to run our laptops. ..no issue with battery life etc

But that really isn't a measure of efficiency is it?

With an inverter anywhere from 5 to 20% and more is lost i. e. you can put 12v @ 5 amps in (60w) but only get 230v @ 0. 2 amps (46w out) usually lost as heat. The losses can be dramatically reduced by using DC - Dc converters or wherever possible running directly from the 12v supply. In your example you said you had no problem with battery supply, if you'd run long enough the battery would have discharged, that time would have been greater with the techniques outlined above.

As this is a piece of domestic equipment designed to run at 12V from its own supply I would be wary of using it in a caravan where the voltage could approach 14V. It would probably be ok but a safer option would be to use one of the many 12V-12V regulated supplies from such suppliers as Maplin.

Tony

Cheers for the replies. To play it safe, I'll get a regulated supply. I'd be in a lot of trouble if the box blew and didn't record the wifes programmes :o

Only for the catchup and on-demand services, not for the freeview function.

That said, we're sat on a site at Perranporth (EHU) and the box appears to have died on the trip down :o

Edited by fatgit

Only for the catchup and on-demand services, not for the freeview function.

That said, we're sat on a site at Perranporth (EHU) and the box appears to have died on the trip down :o

There may be troubles ahead,

But as long as there is moonlight . ................

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

No moonlight but plenty of clouds, wind and rain :P

Anyone able to recommend a twin tuner pvr that runs on 12v? :o

There is an eBay/amazon/web shop supplier called hunterfield that can supply cheap 12v regulated supplies. I know a few people who use them and no issues so far except a guy who stood on his and had to glue it back together!

I have had one for several years with no issue.

See ---> http://www. hunterfield. co. uk

For 12v regulated adapters see ---> http://www. hunterfield. co. uk/epages/es136853. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es136853/Categories/Products/Car_Cigarette_Adapters

If you are worried about the type of connector send the chap a picture via email he is most helpful.

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi