How Many Use This Type Of Reversing Hitch Aid

gumdrop

The lioness let me back up too close and I ended up with the hitch

in the bumper pushed in.

I was looking at these and wondered just how good they might be.

http://www2. westfalia. net/shops/car_accessoires/trailers_and_accessories/accessories_for_trailers/tow_bars_and_accessories/754914-hitching_aids_for_trailers_and_caravans. htm

Now that's a good idea.

Now I've change the car I'm hoping that the rear view reversing camera will resolve this problem and the previous arguments with my better half.

Edited by springtime

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

They look ok and they'll take a lot of guess work out of reversing, I wonder how strong the magnets are? And will the little balls get blown about in a wind ( oh misses).

Not a bad price tho and it may save your bumper.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

It's years ago that I joined in a topic about reversing and put this idea on the forum. I've still got the photo I used. But no need to pay a silly nine quid for it. Here they are at . 99p each. It's easy enough to find your own balls. .. :o
http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Portable-Magnetic-Pick-Up-Rod-Tool-Telescopic-Stick-Extending-25-6-Long-10LB-/311020492175?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item486a44158f

post-261-0-59814200-1408105644_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It would still need positioning to hitch up which would mean pushing and pulling . Easier to back up leaving about 3 ft and then bring the caravan to the car as it is controlled by the motor mover .

I have a hitch up camera which gets close I still prefer a mover as it saves just getting the position right . Even the protection plates can end up being pushed into the bumper causing deep scratches .

My camera but still prefer to use mover .

Get it wrong and it could cost £300 bumper respray .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

These (the westphalia) are for sale on e-bay at double the price,

the original Hitch Sticks are around £10+ £4 p&p

Now that's a good idea.

Now I've change the car I'm hoping that the rear view reversing camera will resolve this problem and the previous arguments with my better half.

I have a reversing camera which is brilliant. I have an Alko ball cover which has a pointy bit at the back to get the alignment spot on and then move it forward the last inch or so with the mover. ..saved me loads of arguments and not least embarrassment!

Edited by Lee21

They look ok and they'll take a lot of guess work out of reversing, I wonder how strong the magnets are? And will the little balls get blown about in a wind ( oh misses).

Not a bad price tho and it may save your bumper.

I had same thing many years ago when I was on my own. These days hitch is shrouded in plastic.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

It would still need positioning to hitch up which would mean pushing and pulling . Easier to back up leaving about 3 ft and then bring the caravan to the car as it is controlled by the motor mover .

I have a hitch up camera which gets close I still prefer a mover as it saves just getting the position right . Even the protection plates can end up being pushed into the bumper causing deep scratches .

My camera but still prefer to use mover .

Get it wrong and it could cost £300 bumper

Dave

Wow a mobile wireless camera, think of all the things you could use that for. ..... Think I could get in a lot of trouble with that :)

Just get a better wife!

Sounds like the expensive option!!

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

• 2 weeks later...

Most cars have a rear wiper which is centre of the screen (motor end) so you know your tow ball is also centre. All you have to do is take your time when reversing making sure your caravan hitch is low enough to hit the tow ball not the bumper once they touch whined up the hitch and then move back a little more and you are done. If it helps put someone in the window of the caravan to line up the motor end of the wiper with.

The lioness let me back up too close and I ended up with the hitch

in the bumper pushed in.

I was looking at these and wondered just how good they might be.

http://www2. westfalia. net/shops/car_accessoires/trailers_and_accessories/accessories_for_trailers/tow_bars_and_accessories/754914-hitching_aids_for_trailers_and_caravans. htm

Going by picture 4 in the add, it doesn't work! :rolleyes:

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

I have never had a problem hooking up on my own as it is using common sense. Maybe if you need a fancy expensive gadget tore verse to hookup you should not be driving? :D

I am leaving and going into hiding. :D

Sticks - you shouldn't be driving. .. Motor Mover - you shouldn't be driving. ..

How about rear view cameras? I know. .. you shouldn't be driving. ..

:lol:

I know what balls would be up on posts if I could not reverse and hitch up the car to the van. It is common sense, and a wee bit pull and shove, once I cannot do that anymore it will be time for cruising holidays.

This is not a dress rehearsal.

I know what balls would be up on posts if I could not reverse and hitch up the car to the van. It is common sense, and a wee bit pull and shove, once I cannot do that anymore it will be time for cruising holidays.

That'll be like old times then Peter having cruising holidays, being an ex Bootneck and all :)

F185, Many a good cruise on the Grey Funnel Line.

Sleepyfolk, I could play the Big OD, Picalo, Big base Drum, whilst dressed in towel and flip flops on the strasse in GUZ, me hearty. :D

This is not a dress rehearsal.

Sticks - you shouldn't be driving. .. Motor Mover - you shouldn't be driving. ..

How about rear view cameras? I know. .. you shouldn't be driving. ..

:lol:

I have a mover i use if i didn't have a mover i would never get my van back on the drive . its there so i use it saves a lot of hassle

Whatever it takes, as long as we get there enjoy ourselves and get back,

sticks, motor mover, cup and ball, boy scouts :D

Each to there own, I know my way works for me, "am sure there a song in there somewhere".