Unicorn Cartagena

Scaramanga

Hi all

Just looking for opinions on the above caravan. We are possibly looking at chopping in our Ancona for one of these. Like the idea of having a island bed instead of either me or the wife clambering over each other to go to the loo etc. Also like the idea of being able to up-plate the MTPLM to 1800kg giving us ample payload. Plus the fridge freezer and Alde heating has much appeal too. My 2 girls seem happy with the idea of sharing the big double make up front bed so thats not a issue.

• Like 1

We have been considering this also. Our dealer has one in stock for a couple of days as a preview. I'm not sure about the external styling yet so would like to see one in the metal first. If you want I can upload photos of it of a particular angle for you after we've seen it.

BMW 525d M Sport Touring and Bailey Unicorn Cartagena Series III

Yes to be honest Matt tge Cartagena looks good on paper but we need to see on in the flesh before obviously committing. And of course the price too ;)

I liked this island bed also and the proper shower cubicle, so ordered one, like you I have a Barcelona at the moment.

Barcelona owner here and interested too even though U3 Barcelona looks good

Will you bother to push the bed in during the day? What about bedding options for the bolster piece?

Edited by asklowey

I should imagine we will push the bed in, not sure about bedding yet, I am sure the wife will be buying some new once she has measured!

The Vigo's lounge always looks so tiny.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

My U3 supplying dealer (Lady Bailey) has advised that it is not possible to have the Vigo chassis upratedwith new plating details. Presumably this will apply to all models in the new U3 range on that particular chassis.

:(

The Vigo's lounge always looks so tiny.

Big enough for 2 :P

My U3 supplying dealer (Lady Bailey) has advised that it is not possible to have the Vigo chassis upratedwith new plating details. Presumably this will apply to all models in the new U3 range on that particular chassis.

:(

Big enough for 2 :P

Do you know when your picking yours up and will you be doing the 2 night stay at wareham?

Back in January 2013, we looked at the U2 Cartagena but went for the Lunar Delta Ti instead. The Delta has the same long front sofas and an island bed that you don't have to "put away" during the day. At night, if you want an extra couple of inches, the mattress can still be pulled down away from the head board and still leaving enough space at the foot of the bed to get past. Ok, you have to do the caravan "sideways shuffle" but no great hardship. The Delta did cost more but we felt the overall quality and fit & finish was better than the Bailey albeit without the front panoramic window.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Do you know when your picking yours up and will you be doing the 2 night stay at wareham?

Build date is w/c 29th Sept so Les (Lady Bailey) seems to think that it will be a couple of weeks after. Yes, will be staying at Wareham :D

• Like 1

Hi,

We bought an S2 Cartegena last september to replace out Pegasus 554 That had basically same layout but was single axle and with a 160kg payload that could not be upgraded, while the S2 Cartagena has been upgraded from the initial 160kg payload to its present 281kg.

Since purchase we have been down to Spain and Portugal for last winter and North Cape, Norway for this summer.

Have been very pleased with the Unicorn just a couple of small problems that our dealer will no doubt sort at the next service. The van is great for two but still big enough for more. We took a Dutch friend from Holland to Calpe, Spain, by the slow route and for a month she slept comfortably on the nearside couch. The fixed bed is a little on the short side for anyone six foot or over but you do get used to your feet overhanging a little, there is also not a great deal of room at the bottom of the bed when it is out but enough to slide round crabwise.

The shower on the S2 is a little on the small side for someone of my size and shape (thats fixed in the S3 I believe) but adequate.

Would we get another??

Without hesitation, but it would have to be from the same dealer that sold us both the Pegasus and the Cartegena. Would not under any circumstances use any other. I understand I can't name them (seems daft you can't praise good service) but will PM anyone who particularly wants to know.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

As above we also love this layout, we had an issue with the Cartegena re the shower as above, simply too small, so in the end we opted for the Sterling Elite Explorer on the twin axle but the shower is much larger as there is no wardrobe in the rear, for our use, much better.

I am 6'3'' and have no issues with the transverse bed by the way.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

[quote name="BroGoat" post="1075319" timestamp="14

Without hesitation, but it would have to be from the same dealer that sold us both the Pegasus and the Cartegena. Would not under any circumstances use any other. I understand I can't name them (seems daft you can't praise good service) but will PM anyone who particularly wants to know.

Steve

Praise away Steve, we have no problems with plaudits. We also have no problems with properly explained, supported and balanced negative reports either these days.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Praise away Steve, we have no problems with plaudits. We also have no problems with properly explained, supported and balanced negative reports either these days.

Thanks SDA,

For me it's got to be Bardsea Leisure very time, and coming from someone who lives in the south but travels to the Lake District to buy and have his caravans serviced with a round trip of nearly 600 miles they have to be good, although it must be said that when we bought the Pegasus we were living in Lancashire.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Thanks for all your opinions guys and keep them coming :). Got a few quotes in now and seems reasonable cost to change. I just need to find one now in the flesh. My local dealer (Raymond James). Has just had a couple of U3 models arrive, but not the Cartagena. But will go and look anyway to get a feel for the new U3 interior and have a chat to the sales guy regarding plate up weight etc.

• Like 1

Build date is w/c 29th Sept so Les (Lady Bailey) seems to think that it will be a couple of weeks after. Yes, will be staying at Wareham :D

I am dealing with les also, build date 6th October and I will do the 2 nights at wareham too, can't wait as I have week booked at hillhead end of October, so want to be in new van.

I am dealing with les also, build date 6th October and I will do the 2 nights at wareham too, can't wait as I have week booked at hillhead end of October, so want to be in new van.

Just emailed Lady Bailey for a quote. Cant do any harm getting as many quotes as possible ;)

I would always buy from you local dealer if possible, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for that if I thought they would look after me, unfortunately my local dealer Penrose Touring have not been up to scratch with my current van, so had to look elsewhere.

I would always buy from you local dealer if possible, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for that if I thought they would look after me, unfortunately my local dealer Penrose Touring have not been up to scratch with my current van, so had to look elsewhere.

I agree. But my current Bailey was bought in Preston, yet has had all servicing and warranty work done by my local Bailey dealer that are 5 miles from my home. So no issue there. Plus when i visited my local dealer today i got the impression they werent that bothered about selling caravans.

Edited by Scaramanga
  • Like 1