Alko Hitch Lock.

stubean

Is it safe to tow with the Alko hitch lock attached to the caravan whilst towing. Will be taking the van abroad and stopping at motorway services to stretch the legs, which means it is one less job to remember when leaving the caravan for a few minutes. I generally leave the wife for security, but she has now said that she would like to be with me. When we are both away from the van we would also fix the wheel security. Any advise please.

Honda CRV 2. 2 CTDi with a Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Personally I would fit it with the wheel clamp, but there is no real reason why you can't leave it fitted.

A search on the correct forum will bring some results from previous discussions.

I have my lock on always when travelling, never had a problem.

I have read some where that they are designed to be travelled with.

The Alko website says they can be left on whilst towing

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

If you have an accident whilst travelling, the emergency services may need to separate the van and car. In a fire, for instance. For that reason we nrver use the hitchlock whilst travelling.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

This subject crossed my mind at the weekend. We were parked up at I thnk it was Membury services on the M4. Wife and kids were in the services, I was in the van.

We were parked well away from any through route in the caravan parking (make that lorry / coach parking with one or two caravans), but a dodgy looking Transit pickup approached possibly thinking the car / van was unoccupied, then it turned away when it looked like they caught sight of me at the window.

I don't like to / normally leave the caravan unattended at services, and to be honest I don't think I'd worry any less with locks in place.

Edited by Wozerp

You are far less likely to have your van stolen whilst on the continent than in this country, it just does not happen there.

Theft of caravans from service areas seems to be a British "thing" and no matter what security you have on the van, if they want it they WILL have it.

This always sparks a well meaning debate, there are two schools of thought:

1. Those that are happy to travel with it on

2. Those that are wrong

Ha ha, I'd never leave the van for more than a couple of minutes as you said even with the wheel lock on as well.

More of a concern might be someone nipping in the van to look for passports and money as it only takes about 3 seconds to get through the caravan door, I've put on an extra security lock but that usually gets two opinions on here as well!

Parents travelled quite extensively in Europe for a number of years and had one of those safe things fitted in the car boot, I suppose that depends on whether you've got a car worth nicking!

if they want it they WILL have it.

+1 I think that's point I was trying to make. .. well put

Best not just give it away . .... use the hitchlock,

then if they want it let 'em work for it :rolleyes:

as said, the only reason you would advise against it is in the even of an accident, getting the caravan removed from your car will be a lot more difficult for the emergency services, but there's nothing to say you cant tow with it fitted.

If we stop at services we brew up in the caravan. Saves paying the stiff prices.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Funny old world isn't it.

Its never even occurred to me to fit the hitch lock while towing, what's the point?

It only serves any use when parked up, or to maintain insurance cover.

I routinely remove it to hitch up, and routinely refit it on site, along with the Alko wheel lock.

But as others have said we would never leave our caravan unattended, it takes only seconds to break a car window with a tiny impact tool and gain access to the car, where the real valuables are.

If we stop at services we brew up in the caravan. Saves paying the stiff prices.

Naked flame is banned on motorway service areas (AFAIK)

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

as said, the only reason you would advise against it is in the even of an accident, getting the caravan removed from your car will be a lot more difficult for the emergency services, but there's nothing to say you cant tow with it fitted.

From an emergency services point of view I'm struggling to envisage a scenario where a caravan would be a problem. If it was then six burly firemen would have it off and out of the way in no time.

I travel with it off. I never leave the van unattended when on tow.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

As to leaving unattended, my insurance states that I'm not covered unless I have both hitch lock and wheel locks fitted. So there's no argument there.

As to travelling with hitch lock on - mine ( not Al-Ko but approved make) won't allow the stabiliser to operate when it's fitted !

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Many thanks or all your views. IMy thoughts now are not to travel with the Al-Ko lock attached and to continue for one of us to always be in attendance with the car and van, especially as part of our route will be the M4, before travelling over to France.

What a stupid question for me to start a topic with. Of course if I leave the Al-Ko hitch lock attached to the caravan whilst towing this would not allow me to push down the stabiliser. I,m surprised that nobody picked me up on that. Sorry!!!

What a stupid question for me to start a topic with. Of course if I leave the Al-Ko hitch lock attached to the caravan whilst towing this would not allow me to push down the stabiliser. I,m surprised that nobody picked me up on that. Sorry!!!

Yes it would!

Yes it would!

;)

Sam :beardy:

Yes you can!