Fridge Defrosting On Trip Home ( Warning To All )

ncmorgan

we have been away for ten fantastic days and travelled home, we always turn the fridge off on way home and open fridge door when in storage . For some reason I looked in fridge and noticed a lot of defrosted water dripping at back of fridge and thought I wonder were that is going THINKING it was going out of a tube under the van . well how wrong I was, I removed the bottom outside fridge vent and found a pot for the water to go into placed on the discharge warm pipe to boil away . Problem is when defrosting on trip home it fill the pot and spills out into the caravan . I can see staining from all the other times it has done this before . when you remove the vent you can see a clip for the tube to be put in place so that when you are going home and turn fridge off it drips out of the van rather than the dripping into the pot . I have decided to leave the tube in the clip, has anyone noticed this before, ive read the bailey manual and it doesn't say anywhere about defrosting fridge when on the move,

Honda crv ex 2. 2 manual

elddis 20/6 2017

We always defrost at home, I know about the pot idea but never rely on it, the wife puts some towels in the bottom of the fridge to soak the water up.

Its worth removing the vent just to check the pot is fitted properly, our last caravan fridge had a dislodge pot.

While the vent is off its also worth insulating any bare Alde pipe work found, heating up the back of the fridge, poor installation again.

Edited by xtrailman

Same here, always defrost at home and soak up defrosted water with a towel. :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Never even had to think about defrosting the fridge,

just close the door as soon as items removed.

Never even had to think about defrosting the fridge,

just close the door as soon as items removed.

Do you not get mold in the fridge with the door closed, when the fridge is not being used?

Edited by lute

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Ah! now that is different, the fridge is left open to air when not being used,

that is only sensible but I have never had to defrost it i. e remove "rime" from

the inside of the fridge. That is what I thought you were talking about.

Ah! now that is different, the fridge is left open to air when not being used,

that is only sensible but I have never had to defrost it i. e remove "rime" from

the inside of the fridge. That is what I thought you were talking about.

Same here. Ours never really gets much of an icing in the freezer box and we just leave the door ajar when not using (or forget and then have to deal with the mold).

Does this mean that we have a poor freezer section (we don't really use it other than for ice packs)?

I too never get much ice if any in the freezer section. We defrost at home as well and then leave the door on the open clips which are part of the fridge closing mechanism. We use the freezer a lot too.

When we arrive home I turn both fridge knobs off and leave the freezer door propped open with a tea towel and the fridge door open. We don't have much water inside. If there is any I wipe it up with paper towel inside the freezer and the fridge.

I might have to go and check my little tube and pot now though as there is usually a bit of water left over in the channel and the hole below the fins in the fridge.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Sorry guys i didn't mean my fridge needed defrosting because there was lots of ice build up, when you are on site for a week or two normal condensate from fridge runs out of back and into pot . Now if the pot is a bit full and hasn't boiled off before you set off that pot with all the water comes out all over the floor behind the fridge . the water i noticed dripping from back is normal when the fridge has been turned off and that's why we normally leave the door open to air but always thought any condensate ran straight outside under van, the pot is normal practice with fridges at home because it never moves but having one in a leisure vehicle that moves is another thing all together .

thanks again

neil

Edited by ncmorgan

Honda crv ex 2. 2 manual

elddis 20/6 2017

This happened to me once. Usually defrost when at home after a trip. We then took the van to dealers with no fridge on. ........ result was watr over the floor.

what I now do is empty the pot afer a couple of days of being home so it cannot happen again. Would like to put a tube in but cannot find a good route to under the van

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Hmmmmm best I look at mine then. How easy is it to remove the lower cover, I have never tried to take it of before?

The wife also finds its worth leaving the freezer compartment "cracked" open slightly to prevent mould.

Hmmmmm best I look at mine then. How easy is it to remove the lower cover, I have never tried to take it of before?

Very easy, just one screw to part turn and then pull out on that side, the other has a tongue and grove sort of idea.

The first time you remove it they may be a little mastic to overcome.

Edited by xtrailman

xtrailman, gumdrop, thanks for your replies I will take a look when I get the van home from the dealers.

Hi mine have clips you push up as well, my old van had clips you turn, undo clip pull left side out first then slowly pull to the left as it has a lug on the right side that holds it in place

Honda crv ex 2. 2 manual

elddis 20/6 2017

Yes sorry I confused the winter cover fixing screws with the sliding tab mentioned.
I should have got up to check but it was raining at the time.

Got to the little tub that collects the drain water today on our Thetford via the bottom outside fridge vent. Tub had about 2" of water in it and would have overflowed the next time we used the fridge. How this water evaporates away is beyond me as it's no where here a heat source as such.

So the tub has been removed and the drain hose extended through the bottom fridge vent to atmosphere.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Got to the little tub that collects the drain water today on our Thetford via the bottom outside fridge vent. Tub had about 2" of water in it and would have overflowed the next time we used the fridge. How this water evaporates away is beyond me as it's no where here a heat source as such.

So the tub has been removed and the drain hose extended through the bottom fridge vent to atmosphere.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up ;) .

I assumed the pipe it sits on got hot?

The fridge at home drops water onto the top of the compressor motor to evaporate it.

Edited by xtrailman

I assumed the pipe it sits on got hot?

The fridge at home drops water onto the top of the compressor motor to evaporate it.

Nope, drain pipe from fridge (approx. 8") comes straight down into the tub. Having looked again, the tub does sort of sit on a black 1" diameter steel (?) pipe which I guess is supposed to get hot and evaporate the water in the tub. Not much good really if, when you get home, you defrost the fridge/freezer and the melted ice from the internal fridge fins is greater than he capacity of the tub. The water will just overflow and the remainder will overspill the next time the MH/caravan is in motion.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

The water will just overflow and the remainder will overspill the next time the MH/caravan is in motion.

Surely as it is outside the vehicle it is no problem?

As the pot is inside overflow spills onto floor and in my case onto the wood

Honda crv ex 2. 2 manual

elddis 20/6 2017

It is designed to evaporate so should never over fill. The flaw in the plan is if you use your van without the fridge running the water has then not evaporated and spills all over the floor ov the caravan as has happened to me once.

We havent got a tube we just have an outlet above the pot which I presume just drips into the pot.

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640