Best Way From York To Portsmouth

Does anyone have a tried and tested route to Portsmouth, we are in the York area.

Thanks Dode.

We lived in Burton Leonard for 15 years and never went to Portsmouth, but we've been several times since we moved here.

So splicing the two together I'd opt for A1, M18, M1, A43, M40, A34.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

We lived in Burton Leonard for 15 years and never went to Portsmouth, but we've been several times since we moved here.

So splicing the two together I'd opt for A1, M18, M1, A43, M40, A34.

As above but that only get's you to Winchester!

Then M3, M27, M275 assuming your heading for the International Ferryport, the IOW ferries or Southsea!

HTH,

G.

Sorry I thought the last stretch was self evident plus I can never remember the road numbers down there.

Graham. ...you are being pedantic. ...stick to your chilli sauces and Red Pennant!!

But yes thats the route we use to Southampton area. ...

Rgds

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Did Portsmouth to Sheffield round trip hundreds of times during my 18 years based in Portsmouth and always strived to do the best route to save time. . I guess from extra bit from York it would be :

A64 to A1M

continue on to A1M onto M1 South

M1 South to Junction 21 onto M69

M69 to the end onto A46 Warwick By-Pass to Junction 15 M40 (Follow signs for M40)

M40 East to Junction 3 where it meets the A34

A34 to the end where it Joins the M3 at Winchester

M3 onto M27

M27 takes you straight into the middle of Portsmouth.

Ferry port for Brittany ferries is on your right and is Signposted HMS Excellent/ Cross Channel ferries. The Isle of white ferry is through the city centre and again is sign posted

If you are travelling the day before there is a caravan site at Stokes bay next to Lee on Solent which is quite nice I believe although since I had a house in Alverstoke I had no reason to use it.

An alternative route is to continue down the M1 to the M25 go anticlockwise towards Heathrow and pick up the M3

You can also go down to junction 15A on the M1 and pick up the A43 through Towcester, Bicester, Brackley and Silverstone then M40 for one junction the on A34

The alternatives are OK but the route I gave you is the best way as it avoids the M25 and once you get on the A64 Tadcaster by-pass you will not leave a dual carriageway or motorway until you get off the M27 at the ferry port turn off save for the roundabouts.

Edited by Lee21

I don't particulalry like the M42 during busy times, but I think it's the quickest way to the M40 in normal traffic, isn't it?

We used to do the M69 route as part of my regular York to Worcester trips (as per Lee21), but found that it wasn't always the the quickest. The A38 can also be a good alternative (so long as the Derby bit isn't busy)

I didn't suggest the M69 etc because Google says there's a semi permanent 10 minute delay due to roadworks.

Also A38 and M42 are taking you way too far west than is necessary for Pompey.

Did Portsmouth to Sheffield round trip hundreds of times during my 18 years based in Portsmouth and always strived to do the best route to save time. . I guess from extra bit from York it would be :

A64 to A1M

continue on to A1M then onto M18 then onto M1 South

M69 to the end onto A46 Warwick By-Pass to Junction 15 M40 (Follow signs for M40)

M40 East to Junction 3 where it meets the A34

M3 onto M27

Ferry port for Brittany ferries is on your right and is Signposted HMS Excellent/ Cross Channel ferries. The Isle of white ferry is through the city centre and again is sign posted

If you are travelling the day before there is a caravan site at Stokes bay next to Lee on Solent which is quite nice I believe although since I had a house in Alverstoke I had no reason to use it.

An alternative route is to continue down the M1 to the M25 go anticlockwise towards Heathrow and pick up the M3

You can also go down to junction 15A on the M1 and pick up the A43 through Towcester, Bicester, Brackley and Silverstone then M40 for one junction the on A34

The alternatives are OK but the route I gave you is the best way as it avoids the M25 and once you get on the A64 Tadcaster by-pass you will not leave a dual carriageway or motorway until you get off the M27 at the ferry port turn off save for the roundabouts.

Just slight alteration but quicker and less traffic.

Sam :beardy:

Just slight alteration but quicker and less traffic.

Yes you are probably right there. .avoids Leeds junctions, M62 junction and Sheffield and Meadowhall junctions on the M1.

There are some road works on the A46 a few miles after the end of the M69 which I think are there until 2015 but they did not delay us much (about 6 weeks ago around Midday. .ish) Reduced speed limits on the dual carriageways between the roundabout at the end of the M69 and the really busy one that takes you onto the A45 for a bit. I suppose it is relevant to the time of day you go through them.

Edited by Lee21

I didn't suggest the M69 etc because Google says there's a semi permanent 10 minute delay due to roadworks.

Also A38 and M42 are taking you way too far west than is necessary for Pompey.

Not at all. Your suggested route involves joining the M40 near Bicester. Google maps reckons that to get from the M1 to this point both the A42/M42 and A34 take an equal amount of time. I personally don't like all those roundabouts on the a34 (apart from when work give a Mini Cooper hire car and they are paying for the fuel!).

Just to correct - The M27 does not go into the middle of Portsmouth. You need to exit at J12 (careful there are 2 exits) onto the M275 and the Continental Ferry Port exit is the second exit after that

Ooops Sorry about that please accept my apologies I forgot about that bit . .thanks for pointing out my mistake been a couple of years since I did the journey into Portsmouth

Edited by Lee21

Thanks everyone, great help,

Does anyone know where we could park up with the caravan, so we can have a stroll around before we board the ferry?would want to be very near the port, if not at the port.

If you didn't want to go into the port straight away or couldn't for some reason, there is a massive coach park right on the seafront at Southsea. There is loads of parking and was empty when we went last August holiday weekend.

I think it is signposted marine museum or something like that. It's just passed the sealife centre on the sea side. Heading East.

You can walk up to the seafront or around one of the old costal forts.

Enjoy.

A64 to A1M

continue on to A1M onto M1 South

M69 to the end, then A46/A45 west and onto A46 Warwick By-Pass to Junction 15 M40 (Follow signs for M40)

M40 South to Junction 9 where it meets the A34

M3 onto M27

A couple of minor changes shown in red - most important is M40/A34 is junc 9 not junc 3 as originally shown.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I travel between the M3 Hants and York regularly. Unless you are familiar with the route I would avoid the M69/A46 (around Coventry and Warwick) if towing a caravan. The lanes/ roundabouts can catch you out and you can find yourself heading toward the wrong exit or needing a quick lane change. But beware - many Satnavs will try and send you that way!

The two best routes from the M1 to the M40/A34 are either the A42/M42 or A43. The kids are not always keen on the A43 as the roundabouts are too frequent and they can feel a little travel sick, but if the traffic around Birmingham is busy then it's often a good route to follow. Personally I prefer the A42/M42 with a caravan on the back.

Good luck.

WRT parking. .. my vote would go to park up at the ferry port. .. they line you up along the southern (left as you face the ferries) edge of the car park.

If you want to park near the beach here's an aerial photo of Southsea Common and seafront . .. the coach park near the D Day Museum is plain to see!!!

1621662_10152604458590049_70995498640318

HTH.

G