How Long Will Battery Stayed Charged?

If it is fully charged, which it will not be, it will only be at 80%, with no load, it should stay charged for several weeks.

It will discharge however at a slow rate.

The indicator is usually just a cheap voltmeter. If you are hooked up, all it is telling you is that the battery charger is working. I agree with brecon.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

How long they last entirely depends on how they are treated. A battery which is always kept on charge, is regularly topped-up (if it's not maintenance-free) and is only lightly loaded will last many years - in excess of 10 years is not unusual.

Conversely, a battery which is left to discharge between uses, never gets topped up and is heavily used can need replacing yearly.

Tony

Hi Laurie. Many folk invest in a small solar panel (40W or larger) to keep the battery topped up between use.

To charge from flat on EHU with the average van's PSU can easily take 36 hours or more.

Tony

When hooked up the indicator goes to full. When back home it's still full. When I come to get it out of storage it's always flat

This happened to me while in storage,seems to be only applicable to newer vans due to the on-board electrical systems, so I fitted a 4w solar panel and put it the roof window keeps it topped up.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

For 8 years now, I leave my van and its fully charged battery, in storage for months at a time. Only once have I arrived at storage to find it flat.

Mind you I have nothing at all to drain it - alarms and trackers are known problems even if they have internal batteries. Use a multimeter to check there is nothing draining the battery or take the connectors off the battery.

As I have a mover, I have a spare 110Ah at home in case my normal battery is dead. The battery I have is 8 yrs old, cost £40 off eBay and I think may be a cheap generic type. I have had my moneys worth out of it.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks guys. I bought an 80 w solar panel. Not got round to fitting it yet. Once battery is charged its seems to hold charge for a while nobly problem is with storage - is that it's indoors. Is it worth getting a new battery? Or getting a second battery and keeping it at home? I have a battery optimiser that I used to use on my old (second) car, which didn't get much use.

PS the actual answer to your question is that it will self-discharge about 5% per month, although that can be quite variable. Most people recommend recharging a battery at least once a month, although using a sophisticated charger such as the Optimate you can leave it on charge all the time.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

If your insurance doesn't require alarm/tracker remove the battery when in storage and charge at home.

Land Rover is now back towing.

I was thinking about charging it at home. So if its not holding its charge for a couple of weeks while in storage - chances are its probably past it's best. Where's the best place to get a battery band what will I need.

I was thinking about charging it at home. So if its not holding its charge for a couple of weeks while in storage - chances are its probably past it's best. Where's the best place to get a battery band what will I need.

I don't understand the question.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Just a small point - if you are going to use an 80W solar cell to charge a battery you will have to use a charge controller as well otherwise you may over-charge your battery and damage it.

Paul

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Tayna is a good place to start if you want a proper leisure battery.

Have a look at this article to help you decide what sort of battery. I bought a Banner Energy Bull - expensive but you get what you pay for.

http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/Battery. html

Land Rover is now back towing.

We have a Platinum and that has been quite satisfactory.