I Done It Again

Coastline

I went over to our van today, we had a new battery on it two months ago 135aph I found out i left the motor mover on 2 weeks ago (not the first time) battery's flat, we have a hour or more tow tomorrow then we are on a EHU for 3 days then moving the van to our new storage in Devon 1 hour 3/4 tow, do you think the battery will be ok?

Provided you have not buckled plates or damaged the battery from flattening it, yes. But it may have been damaged. The risk is probably around 90% in your favour.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Yes I am sure, it has only gone flat when I have left it on. Just a thought i wonder if a timer switch can be fitted? Its was fitted by Power Touch.

Thanks BFM I think I may have a G&T

Remote switches off but controller stays powered until isolated with the big red key, same thing happened to me when i first purchased the van, i found that after i put the big red key on the same keyring as van keys then i never forgot to isolate the mover so no more flat battery

BMW X5 followed by a 2014 Lunar Delta RS

Thats a brill idea, will do that in future.

Hello Martin, (this is David Turre).

You say it is a powrtouch.

According to my instructions for previous and current models, that the current draw is disabled after a short set time.(as mentioned by another post).

I suggest you look for another cause for the battery going flat, and/or give powrtouch a ring to confirm that your unit does automatically switch off if you forget to. I have always found them to be very helpful.

Edited by conquest

Never turned off my big red switch in 5 years, battery has never gone flat.

Same here!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Good to hear from you David, and thank you for your advice its something that must be sorted.

On a personal side we may complete on our home in Axminster on the 22nd or 27th its taken the solicitors over 4 months!

hi martin,

slightly off topic, but just curious as to where you are storing in devon? we have been thinking of moving our storage to stowford farm meadows. ...

br john.

Edited by johnny s

We are storing at Hunthay Strorage Axminster which has lowered our insurance.

Powrtouch movers will switch off after a set time of non use. I think it's 20 mins, but dont hold me to that.

For the ones who have never switched off in 5 yrs. I can't understand this. Because the Powrtouch "Brain" as stated switches of after a predetermined time.

Then to use it, it has to be re-activated by turning off for a few mins/secs and then turning back on.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

My switch is in the side of the caravan and the red key goes in and it has a bright blue lanyard that hangs down so you can instantly see if the key is left and it is on then it goes in a camera case with the controller and put in the glove box .

I would of thought they would only turn themselves onto standby and still be using a drain on battery .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Never turned off my big red switch in 5 years, battery has never gone flat.

My model of mover (a Carver) didn't have a red switch when I got the van so the control box was always powered. I thought I'd better fit one, however one of the 'trade' members came on the forum and confirmed that the Carver didn't need a switch - the day after I'd fitted it. I would look for another source of your flat battery Martin.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

My model of mover (a Carver) didn't have a red switch when I got the van so the control box was always powered. I thought I'd better fit one, however one of the 'trade' members came on the forum and confirmed that the Carver didn't need a switch - the day after I'd fitted it. I would look for another source of your flat battery Martin.

So how did the 'trade' member suggest you stop the mover in the event of a runaway? Agreed it very rarely happens but it has been known. You did the right thing and always make sure it's easily accessible in the event of a problem whilst the mover is in use.

As others have said power touch turn themselves off. Carver also, my old one did not have a switch but my new one does so perhaps the have had a change there.

Did you turn the main van isolater off? Might be a faulty battery or faulty wiring causing the drain, even a faulty mover.

It might be that on ehu the van charger won't charge your battery if it is too flat. But it should still act to steady the voltage when on site so should not spoil your holiday.

Even new batteries can be faulty.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

As for current drain from the battery perhaps the fridge was left on? Just a thought, as it happened to me!

As for current drain from the battery perhaps the fridge was left on?

It shouldn't work off the battery

Yep, I agree, it shouldn't work of the caravan battery it should only work when it is connected to the towing vehicle.

Most fridges have 2 x 12v feeds . If it only worked on the Car it would have no light inside when you open the door and some fridges have a ignitions system off the 12 v .

My fridge would drain the battery if it was not turned off on the fridge and the door left open .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Most fridges have 2 x 12v feeds . If it only worked on the Car it would have no light inside when you open the door and some fridges have a ignitions system off the 12 v .

My fridge would drain the battery if it was not turned off on the fridge and the door left open .

Dave

Well we live and learn, I didn't know that, I was always lead to believe there was just the one feed thankyou Commander Dave for in lighting me with that info.

I was always lead to believe there was just the one feed

You're right - sometimes there is only one 12volt wire. Some fridges don't have an internal light and their pilot light is lit by Piezo spark - hence only the one 12volt supply from the car.

Edited by Jaydug