Fridge Removal

starr870

The light in our senator Carolina series 6 dometic 8550 fridge has been acting up for months and stopped working altogether, I have checked the reed switch and bought a new light unit that I have had tested but the light barely lights the 4 led's in the light unit. Does anyone know how I can get the fridge out so I can check or clean the connections to the lighting circuit?

Andy.

2002 2. 5b Tdi Discovery ES and 2008 Bailey Senator Carolina

Ok I have managed to pull it forward enough to clean all the electrical connections and the light now works perfectly when the 2 connections are joined together instead of the reed switch but when I reconnect them to the reed switch and open the door it doesn't work. When I bring a small magnet to the reed switch it comes on but it is now working in reverse as its supposed to come on when you move the magnet away like when you open the door!

Help please before I loose the will to live!!!

If I remember rightly, a reed switch is two strips of metal within an inert atmosphere.

One contact is iron based and one is not. Maybe you need to rotate the reed switch, to get it to work correctly.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Reed switch needs replacing? They cost pence so should be a cheap thing to try.

I was in the fridge last night getting the product code from the label and I waved my magnetic torch base at the reed switch area and it worked fine, I tried it 20 times and it worked every time I moved the magnet but it won't work when I use the door, could the magnet in the door have moved or lost its magnetisum if thats possible!

Andy.

Sideways thinking . . do you really need a light?

I had to replace the door on my last van's fridge . . the door with the magnet for the light was considerably more than the the non-light version . . guess which I chose . .

never missed the light . . always enough illumination in the van to see what was in the fridge.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

. .. could the magnet in the door have moved or lost its magnetisum if thats possible!

Andy.

Well yeah, I guess so. Anything's possible. Can you check with a compass (or your torch base) to find the magnet?

Tony