Horrendous Day For Towing

F185

Started packing up this morning from our site in Devon with the sun shinning, then this big black cloud appeared and without much warning dumped it's contents on me, so rushing to get things done as quick as poss I engaged the MM only to find it didn't work agghh, so with me getting soaked and no sign of a let up in the weather went around checking things only to find I'd forgot about the chocks, so removed them hitched up and set off SOAKED.

Driving in torrential rain got to the motorway and indicated to pull out of slip road on to motorway and got a warning in car that off side indicator not working, so pulled into next services and checked 12N plug getting even more soaked, sprayed some WD40 in there and hey presto alls working ok.

Got home pulled up outside house in pouring rain, jumped out, unhitched, engaged mover, mover started then 'BANG' the brakes came on sudden, In my rush to get it done quick again I'd forgot to un clip the breakaway cable, and put a nice nick in the plastic bumper above cutaway for towbar.

Usually I like towing and all the activities that one has to do when setting off and arriving, but today in all that rain and spray and rushing to get things done was "a right pain in the '*#+@".

We all learn by our mistakes and my lessons learnt today was don't rush and make stupid mistakes and always have a brolly handy.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

I think we all have had a day like that in the past . :)

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Ste

We have indeed ! In fact as it always seems to start raining just as we are either hitching or unhitching, we now keep our waterproofs handy in the car ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I drove through the mother all rainstorms near Cardiff this afternoon, thunder, lightening, rain and hail, not seen anything like it for years, and I don't like towing on a wet road, fortunately I wasn't towing, but plenty are.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Sounds like you need a little glass of your avatar!

Already done mate, but first I had to try some of the local cider I bought down there, the old gent who was selling it from his farm said he's in his 90's and has drank a gallon of the stuff every day since he started making it with his father at the age of 16, that might be a bit of sales talk but I thought I'd give it a go.

We used to have a pub in Somerset and sold the rough non fizzy thatchers real cider (alongside a lot of real ale!,) the old boy locals always said it never did them any harm but you couldn't come to the same conclusion by looking at them!!

Being that your location says Somerset I expect your used to a drop of the apples, if you haven't already try and pick up a bottle of 10 year old Somerset Royal cider brandy, we used to keep that in for the locals and it was none too shabby.

Edited by sleepyfolk

Ste

Not yet and not looking forward to it. :(:unsure:

Already done mate, but first I had to try some of the local cider I bought down there, the old gent who was selling it from his farm said he's in his 90's and has drank a gallon of the stuff every day since he started making it with his father at the age of 16, that might be a bit of sales talk but I thought I'd give it a go.

Are you sure he said he was in his 90s ? Drinking 8 pints of that stuff a day he probably looked in his 90s but really just in his 30s. :D

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

That sounds one helluva day :( you must have been so glad to get indoors after all that :)

Being from Somerset you must have tried Wilkins cider at Mugley? Now that is an experience going to the farm ;)

That sounds one helluva day :( you must have been so glad to get indoors after all that :)

Being from Somerset you must have tried Wilkins cider at Mugley? Now that is an experience going to the farm ;)

Oh yes I've had the delight of sampling many a pint of Wilkins. ..'hic'....grand stuff.

It wasn't a good day to be out towing, but what I was amazed at was the fellow caravanners who seemed to just plough on in all weather conditions, coming up past Taunton we had a summer cloud burst, so I slowed up from 55 to around 40 MPH as you just couldn't see anything, but 2 other caravans just shot past me still doing 60 ish, totally oblivious to the weather. ....madness

post-68970-0-98786000-1408090634_thumb.jpg

Only one thing worse than getting wet though when hitching up is every window in the car steaming up as you are travelling home. The last thing you want is the aircon on when you are wet to keep the windows clear. Glad you got home safely.

Only one thing worse than getting wet though when hitching up is every window in the car steaming up as you are travelling home. The last thing you want is the aircon on when you are wet to keep the windows clear. Glad you got home safely.

Thankyou Digger, it was really disheartening when we were all hitched up and we decided to sit in the car for 5 mins to see if it would ease up before checking the lights, only to wipe the condensation off the car windows and see our neighbours in their van sitting enjoying their breakfasts etc, in the warm and dry.

But hey-ho that's the joys of caravanning I suppose

As I had mentioned the weather at weekend, on two other threads, I didn't bother with this one,however, we left Bedfordshire and the A421 was awash with cars aquaplaning and it didn't get much better once we had joined the A1 North. ...........for a third of the journey we followed at about 45/50mph a motorcyclist who provided the perfect guide when it came to 6" deep puddles on the nearside. ..if he moved out so did we!.......However, on the four lane section neat Peterborough the whole road was covered at about 3" for 50 yards which surprised the German car owners who were still attempting 70mph plus!

Our aircon stays on all the time, winter or summer.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Sounds like you need a little glass of your avatar!

Or mine !!! :o

Les

Les