Final Checks Before Handing Over Your Cash

BigOrangeMonkey

Hi Guys,

I'll be picking up our new purchase tomorrow afternoon and would just like some pointers before handing over the cash.

It is a Pre 1992 van so is not CRiS registered. How do I ensure I'm not buying something stolen or written off?

Any other checks I should also consider would also greatly appreciated.

The seller is checking all the electrics and gas works. I'll fit smoke detectors and gas detectors immediately. I've also just bought a new ALKO AKS 3004 to fit to it as it only has a standard tow hitch.

Thanks all,

Steve.

Make sure you are completely happy before handing any money over and all you can do is try and judge the people that are selling the caravan . If they want to meet in carparks and hand over cash then be on your guard as honest people are usually very difficult to find today with old caravans . Make sure it has had a damp test or take a damp test meter yourself and ask to test the caravan as caravans seem to only become damp after a sale even though the seller says it is bone dry .

If it is a private sale you have no legal come back on a sale so beware .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

You'll need the alko towball for the alko 1300 hitch

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks guys. Alko townball being fitted today.

Buying off a 2nd hand dealer but sold with no warranty as he deals in trade ins.

I'm using my credit card to have some protection.

Buying off a 2nd hand dealer but sold with no warranty as he deals in trade ins.

He cannot sell you a caravan without a warranty, even on an old caravan you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act which ensures your statuary rights are protected, he cannot sell it Sold as Seen as that only applies business to business, I. e. If it is sold to another trader or dealer.

Please be very careful, you are protected by the SOG Act, this dealer cannot ask you to sign away the protection offered by statute, to do so would be against the law.

your not by any chance buying it from someone called gareth in Caerphilly?

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle

He cannot sell you a caravan without a warranty, even on an old caravan you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act which ensures your statuary rights are protected, he cannot sell it Sold as Seen as that only applies business to business, I. e. If it is sold to another trader or dealer.

Please be very careful, you are protected by the SOG Act, this dealer cannot ask you to sign away the protection offered by statute, to do so would be against the law.

This is not strictly true, they can sell a vehicle without a warranty, but the vehicle has to be A: as described B: of satisfactory quality C: fit for its intended purpose. If there are any unknown faults at time of sale (any that the dealer hasn't made you aware of), you have upto 6 months to prove they were there at point of purchase, then the dealer has to compensate/refund/replace accordingly if they cannot prove otherwise.

To the OP, though the van is not CRiS registered, you can obtain the VIN number and cross reference it with the police to check if it has been stolen at least, there shouldn't be any finance outstanding on it as no company in the industry would still have any interest in the vehicle (as its over 17 years old) so for being written off, that will have to be your own judgement.

Take a Damp Meter with you, I hope all goes well and you have happy times in your new van, good Luck.

Les

Les

Sale of Goods Act gives you protection if anything should go wrong.

If there are any unknown faults at time of sale (any that the dealer hasn't made you aware of), you have upto 6 months to prove they were there at point of purchase, then the dealer has to compensate/refund/replace accordingly if they cannot prove otherwise.

I was under the impression that after six months the buyer has to prove fault was there on purchase and not prior to the six months?

This is not strictly true, they can sell a vehicle without a warranty, but the vehicle has to be A: as described B: of satisfactory quality C: fit for its intended purpose. If there are any unknown faults at time of sale (any that the dealer hasn't made you aware of), you have upto 6 months to prove they were there at point of purchase, then the dealer has to compensate/refund/replace accordingly if they cannot prove otherwise.

To the OP, though the van is not CRiS registered, you can obtain the VIN number and cross reference it with the police to check if it has been stolen at least, there shouldn't be any finance outstanding on it as no company in the industry would still have any interest in the vehicle (as its over 17 years old) so for being written off, that will have to be your own judgement.

As I understand it faults identified within six months of purchase are deemed to have existed at the time of purchase so the buyer does not to have to prove anything. It is only after six months that the burden of proof switches to the buyer.

It should be noted that the seller should be given a reasonable amount of time to rectify any faults before the buyer has recourse to the SoGA. It should also be noted that any under the SoGA is initially at the complainants expense though sometimes the threat of action under SoGA can be successful. Even if the buyer is successful in the County Court it could still be difficult to obtain a settlement payment.

Sale of Goods Act gives you protection if anything should go wrong.

I was under the impression that after six months the buyer has to prove fault was there on purchase and not prior to the six months?

Doesn't "Sold as seen" come into force ? under these circumstances

Les

Les

Doesn't "Sold as seen" come into force ? under these circumstances

Les

Nope no such thing if buying from a dealership.

Pre 92 caravans can still be registered for CRiS using the chassis number . Same for insurance.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

You have up to 6 months protection essentially, so if a fault arises in that time that could of been deemed as there on purchase, you would have a case to go back to the dealer

As I understand it faults identified within six months of purchase are deemed to have existed at the time of purchase so the buyer does not to have to prove anything. It is only after six months that the burden of proof switches to the buyer.

It should be noted that the seller should be given a reasonable amount of time to rectify any faults before the buyer has recourse to the SoGA. It should also be noted that any under the SoGA is initially at the complainants expense though sometimes the threat of action under SoGA can be successful. Even if the buyer is successful in the County Court it could still be difficult to obtain a settlement payment.

Essentially yes, though it is the buyer does need to prove the fault was unknown but there at time of purchase, then the dealer would have to prove otherwise, or repair/replace/compensate accordingly.

Thanks All,

We purchased the van on Friday, we checked everything we could and I looked for bad reviews of the dealer on the internet. Spent the weekend in it, extremely happy with it. Considering the van is nigh on 27yrs old it is almost immaculate.

LDSundance - No we bought it off a chap in Hereford.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by BigOrangeMonkey

Thanks All,

We purchased the van on Friday, we checked everything we could and I looked for bad reviews of the dealer on the internet. Spent the weekend in it, extremely happy with it. Considering the van is nigh on 27yrs old it is almost immaculate.

LDSundance - No we bought it off a chap in Hereford.

Cheers,

Steve.

Glad to here you are sorted. Sound like you got a good on there. Age doesn't matter, enjoy.