Weber Q Series Anyone ?

maplecottage

Having spent 2 weeks in France dodging the site wardens coz I only had a charcoal BBQ, I am now preparing for my next visit and looking for a good quality gas BBQ unit (is that a contradiction in terms :blush: ).

I already have a Cadac Carry Chef, not convinced by the griddle function other than the solid plate and of course, the paella pan is brill.

So, what to do. .......I'm drawn to the Weber Q1000

baby-q1000---titanium_600px.jpg

but it is a fair bit of dosh with best price around the £160 mark; at the other extreme I'm looking at units from places like Go Outdoors, TowSure etc retailing at about £30.

portable-lava-rock-gas-barbecue.jpg

Confused - of course. :D

I have a weber q220 for home and a CADAC safari chef for the caravan. I looked at the weber "go anywhere" model but you can only run it on those disposable lpg canisters.

The Weber Q (any version) is a brilliant BBQ. Yes they are heavy and yes the small versions run on expensive gas canisters, but if you want a great BBQ that will probably outlive you then I can recommend the Q range. I have had a big one and a small one for about 8 years and they are both still working as new.

We had one of those cheap ones as our first one after charcoal one, it was totally useless in my IMHO. Very limited cooking area / cold at one end and uncontrollable elsewhere. Using a CADAC Carri Chef at home and the van now. Like with most things, there's an element of you get what you pay for!

Weber also offers conversion kits to run the liitle Qs from the gas bottle or bbq-point.

Cheers

Peter

2007 Renault Espace 2. 0 Turbo followed by a 1999 Wilk Tipi 530TK

I have a Baby-Q, best gas BBQ I have ever owned,

my Cadac was difficult to clean so it was sold on.

I run it on cartridges, but it will run off a big propane

3kg/6kg bottle with a regulator

Is it me or is there no longer a Weber called the 'Baby Q'? All I can find are a Q1000 and Q1200.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Had bacon and egg muffins for breakfast. For tea we had a rack of salt marsh lamb with roast potatoes all cooked on our weber Q 120, which I think is q1200. Do I think it's worth then the answer is yes absolutely. But I would wait a month and you may find a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

I think webers are fantastic. Treated myself to a pizza stone and griddle this year. The pizzas it produces are heaven! I am looking at getting a Weber Smokey Joe for the van. Shame the pizza stone doesn't fit.

I've had a Baby Q for a number of years now and can't fault it. Usually connect direct to caravan's external gas socket but have also used the small gas cannisters. which sit in a small attachable wire basket that comes with the Baby Q.

I also have the griddle for cooking bacon, eggs etc. , a very useful add on that you can often get at a reasonable price at end of season sales in garden centres.

VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Eccles Topaz SE

I note that the caravan adaptor hose is 3m long, so you could even cook at the front of a U3 ;)

Have a Q100 which we got for around £70 4-5 years ago in an end of season sale at B&Q.

Worth keeping yours eyes open for bargains in a month or two. ..

Great BBQ although ours does seem to be taking longer to cook than it used too. Fitted a new regulator to it but may need to try cleaning out the burner tube next.

• 7 months later...

I have had a Weber Q100 which I also picked up from B&Q at the end of the season. There was only the display model left, with scrath. Asked the manager if I could buy it and he suggested £30 - bit his arm off!

Just bought a caravan and found the Q100 very good. Fits in my front locker and I have it connected to a 6kg propane, which doubles up as a backup for my caravan gas.

Love this BBQ!

• 6 months later...

Use a Webber q at home and absolutely love it, have a cadac Safari chef for the caravan which does us well but if we had the space to carry a Webber in the caravan we would that's the only fault for me with the Webber is they're too big for our caravan with kids bikes etc etc

Couldn't agree more. I have taken my Weber kettle away before now placed in the towcar because it's such a brilliant piece of kit and the food from it is out of this world (as you will know) but we had one advantage over you - we haven't got kids with us now. I bought a Weber 'go anywhere' charcoal BBQ earlier this year and find it excellent except of course it can't do as much as my kettle. I can't see me ever buying a cadac.

Couldn't agree more. I have taken my Weber kettle away before now placed in the towcar because it's such a brilliant piece of kit and the food from it is out of this world (as you will know) but we had one advantage over you - we haven't got kids with us now. I bought a Weber 'go anywhere' charcoal BBQ earlier this year and find it excellent except of course it can't do as much as my kettle. I can't see me ever buying a cadac.

The cadac is ok for the simple foods we cook when we're away burgers hotdogs etc etc the main advantage is its size being the safari it fits into the little front side locker of our Pegasus with plenty of room to spare, having 2 young children and a dog space is hard to come by for us and the webbers are just too big to stow anywhere :( The back of the car has the dog in cage, a large cool box and a pram and that's it pretty much full. If they did a smaller one cadac Safariish sized I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Tbh I can't understand the obsession with Webers surely a cadac is a much better bet as the picture taken this month outside my van illustrates.

IMG_1034.jpg

Be warned it is not a light weight option. The old camp kitchen next to it probably a better bet.

Looks like a gas safety engineer's worst nightmare :unsure::o

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.