Thompson Mini Glen. Buying One?

laurielaurie

Seen a one advertised locally. Said its restored. Looks tidy on pics. Interior fabric probably not the best choice - so would need re doing (curtains and seats). Quite like the look of them. Are they any good? Are they desirable? Cheers guys.

These were highly sought after in mid/late 1960's and had some features which others did not have. ........but can't remember what! An interesting restoration project, there are quite a few about.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

These were highly sought after in mid/late 1960's and had some features which others did not have. ........but can't remember what! An interesting restoration project, there are quite a few about.

geoff

Road test here http://www. thomson-caravans. co. uk/roadtests/1967miniglen. htm

The Mini Glen was a popular van, available mainly in a two berth with a kitchen initially at the front, but later (from about 1977) at the rear. A four berth was sold too for a short time, but must have been very cramped in the short 9ft body.

The wheels were mini sized. So if you were towing with a Mini you only needed one spare wheel! Sadly this tends to mean they ride quite low to the ground so may well tow nose up behind many cars.

Old Thomsons seem to go on and on, there are a few from the late 60's / early 70's around here. We are very close to where the Thomson factory was in Falkirk, sadly now the location of a housing development.

Having spoken to a few former Thomson employees a while back, it seems the company had a pool of company caravans that employees could borrow for their holidays.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

HI LAURIE MY FIRST CARAVAN 50 YEARS AGO WAS A THOMPSOM GLENALMOND THEY WERE WELL BUILT CARAVANS BUT A BIT ON THE HEAVY SIDE GREAT VAN TO TOW INTERIOR FURNITURE REAL WOOD NOT LIKE THE MODERN VANS NOW BUT I AM STILL ENJOYING MY CARAVANING BEST OF LUCK IF YOU GO AHEAD WITH YOUR PROJECT REGARDS DAVE