Near St Quentin?

I'm looking for an alternative site near St Quentin to Du Vivier aux Carpes (http://www. eurocampings. co. uk/france/picardy/aisne/seraucourt-le-grand/campsite-du-vivier-aux-carpes-103927/) which was OK but not the finest. They also don't book and (I don't want guidance on not having to book) I prefer to be able to book.

Any suggestions? Probably prefer slightly further north than south (eg Val de Vesle south of Reims is too far for Day 1)

t.

Camping La Chênaie
Allée de la Chênaie
02 000 Laon
Tel / fax : 03. 23. 20. 25. 56
Ouvert de mai à septembre

Have not been there myself but heard a good short term stopover, handy for road North . .

Do not use Municipal in St. Q. .......strange place/people las time we stopped.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Thanks Geoff. I'll have a look. The one we used last year ('Carpes') wasn't bad but I yearn for something we've never seemed able to find - a kind of more northerly version of Cent Vignes, in Beaune, which we love. I suspect it's because the area is, self evidently, more northerly and hence less 'touristique' than Beaune.

t.

The one in Laon is ok but I wouldn't go overboard with praise! Steep climb to the town too. Fine for one night.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

The one in Laon is ok but I wouldn't go overboard with praise! Steep climb to the town too. Fine for one night.

We took the car up into town ( wonderful cathedral) and parked in that very strange modern car park. ....

geoff

We have stayed at Carpes a few time and have always booked.

In Laon you should take the tramway up the hill https://m. youtube. com/watch?v=pI9ll5XiAE4

We have a Wilderness trailboat it is the same as a Caravan but it floats, the inside fittings are the same as in many Caravans (Lights,Cooker, Alde heating etc), we stay on Caravan sites (Caravan mode) enroute to and from our chosen destinations,and in France on the return leg for two or more nights due to vet visits. www. wilderness. org. uk

We stayed in Carpes early one year and booked. ........the tramway at Laon is great.

geoff

Tony, I sympathise with you and anyone else who chooses to stay at St Quentin.

When we went that way our first night always included dinner at a smart restaurant in Calais or Boulogne, and on the second night we repeated the process in Troyes or Nancy. St Quentin got only a nod and a wave in passing.

We have used one in Seraucourt-le-Grand, to the south of St Q.

We will probably be there again in a week or so on our way home.

It is quite near to two decent supermarkets for last minute shopping too.

Forgotten that one. ..decent enough place and handy for the main road.

Geoff

That is Carpes

We have a Wilderness trailboat it is the same as a Caravan but it floats, the inside fittings are the same as in many Caravans (Lights,Cooker, Alde heating etc), we stay on Caravan sites (Caravan mode) enroute to and from our chosen destinations,and in France on the return leg for two or more nights due to vet visits. www. wilderness. org. uk

Thanks for the suggestions. Decided in the end to take a different tack and stay nearer to Calais - Chateau de Gandspette - although it ain't cheap! Might be better anyway - this will be the first year we've towed down from N. Yorks, so fair old trek even before we cross.

t.

We like Gandspette too, and after 1st September it takes Camping Cheques so if you're going after that date I could post you one for a small fee and save you about 10 euros for one night!

We're in North Yorkshire, too, so always stop near the port on our first overnight.