A W S Servicing And Warranty Validation

cablegirl33

Message added by CT Advertising,

Hi All,

Can anyone please help?

After looking at not only my manual for my Caravan, but also my Brothers Swift caravan I am struggling to find anywhere that states I must have my caravan serviced by an AWS approved engineer, the reason I am asking this, apart from avoiding extortionate dealer servicing costs is that my brother who owns the Swift has had problems with GRP panel cracks and didn't have his caravan serviced by an AWS engineer, the dealer didn't want to know the problem due to this,my Brother challenged this as it doesn't say in his manual that it has to be serviced by an AWS or approved service centre, the dealer then capitulated and did the repairs.

Kerry

live life to the full, keep fit, live longer, hopefully

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Thank you. After reading the section it still doesn't say that I have to use an authorised repairer to carry out servicing, only that they will only pay for warranty work being done during service if it is carried out by an authorised swift service centre, hence why my brother had his none AWS repairer write a report and he took the van back to dealer for warranty work to be done.

So reading into the booklet it could be seen that none AWS approved just for servicing should be ok on vans under warranty.

Kerry

Edited by cablegirl33

live life to the full, keep fit, live longer, hopefully

I have communicated with Swift Group directly on this subject. I have been assured by Swift that provided my caravan is serviced by a NCC registered AWS workshop, the warranty is valid. I know from the Swift Talk forum that many people have done the same, and I believe that the other caravan manufacturers have the same policy. I also know that if you fail to comply with their requirement, you may have a warranty claim rejected. I would say that if you were claiming warranty for a bodywork leak for example that you would have no chance of a claim getting accepted, because Swift would not accept a non-AWS workshop service report as the body warranty is dependant upon it.

Ern

Just for clarification. I am not an aws workshop but an owner, the last time I had damp it was myself that spotted it with my Ebay bought damp meter, wrote my own damp report, dealer accepted it an carried out work no questions asked.

So why was the damp not spotted at service?, my 'approved service guy' missed the damp altogether.

Take from this what you will but the words, 'cop out' comes to mind.

carver

Edited by carver

Hi

The caravan industry tries to convince owners that they have to take their vans to a recommended center for the annual service. As in the motor industry you can get the van serviced at any vat registered workshop as long as the service schedule is adhered to and manufacturers parts are used. This is EEC law.

Thank you. After reading the section it still doesn't say that I have to use an authorised repairer to carry out servicing, only that they will only pay for warranty work being done during service if it is carried out by an authorised swift service centre, hence why my brother had his none AWS repairer write a report and he took the van back to dealer for warranty work to be done.

So reading into the booklet it could be seen that none AWS approved just for servicing should be ok on vans under warranty.

Kerry

It does not matter who services the caravan as it is covered by the Sale of Goods Act and nowhere in the act does it state any item has to be regularly serviced. Unfortunately the dealer will have to bear the cost and if this happens regularly they will go under.

On the other hand if it was done more regularly perhaps dealers could put pressure on the manufacturer to improve quality checks.

Hi

The caravan industry tries to convince owners that they have to take their vans to a recommended center for the annual service. As in the motor industry you can get the van serviced at any vat registered workshop as long as the service schedule is adhered to and manufacturers parts are used. This is EEC law.

this WILL invalidate the warranty. Only Swift dealers, Swift approved workshops, or members of the AWS scheme can service their caravans without affecting any Swift warranty.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

Hi

I think you will find that EEC law will allow you to take your van to any vat registered workshop for service without invalidating the warranty. I bet Swift would back down if it went to court if they try to invalidate the warranty. Remember in the motor vehicle trade you do not have to take your car to a main dealer for its service as long as the servicing garage follows the recommended service guidelines and uses manufacturers parts. The same law applies to the servicing of caravans. I speak from experience as a certain caravan manufacture tried this on my son in laws van when he found damp, they eventually backed down and authorized the repair. By the way Reads why don't you oped a dealership in the North East I would certainly bring my van to you

Sandy

Hi

I think you will find that EEC law will allow you to take your van to any vat registered workshop for service without invalidating the warranty. I bet Swift would back down if it went to court if they try to invalidate the warranty. Remember in the motor vehicle trade you do not have to take your car to a main dealer for its service as long as the servicing garage follows the recommended service guidelines and uses manufacturers parts. The same law applies to the servicing of caravans. I speak from experience as a certain caravan manufacture tried this on my son in laws van when he found damp, they eventually backed down and authorized the repair. By the way Reads why don't you oped a dealership in the North East I would certainly bring my van to you

Sandy

Hang about there Sandy, Yorkshire should be first as its nearer to them ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

this WILL invalidate the warranty. Only Swift dealers, Swift approved workshops, or members of the AWS scheme can service their caravans without affecting any Swift warranty.

You are correct, but the Sale of Goods Act leaves responsibility with dealer and not the manufacturer. In a sense the warranty only benefits the dealer and not the customer as the dealer can claim from the manufacturer. Whether a caravan is regularly serviced or not, the dealer is still obliged to rectify any faults due to poor workmanship although the customer has to show that it was an inherent fault. Damp would probably be an inherent fault.

But it won't affect the owner's rights under SoGA which take precedence over manufacturers' warranty.

Hi

Sandy

That specifically applies to car servicing, not all types of products.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

SOGA in practice actually covers less than the manufacturers warranty. Plus why would you go to all the hassle of going to court and maybe loosing just for the sake of using an approved workshop for service. Also after 6 months the customer must PROVE the fault was their when he bought the product. In my 20 years in the caravan trade, working at a number of different dealers I can't remember any customer winning a case in court. 2 I actually represented the dealer I was employed by at the time, and both customers lost, were completely il-advised by citizens advice and were made to pay court costs plus the dealers costs. No doubt some customers have won, but none to my knowledge.

Follow Reads. Main Dealership for Bailey, Swift, Sterling, Lunar Venus.

www. readcaravans. com

socialfacebook.png socialtwitter.png

2013 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Dealer 2013 CaravanTalk Finalist - Best Caravan Servicing. 2012 CaravanTalk Winner Best Caravan Servicing 2011 CaravanTimes Reader Award - Best Caravan Dealer 2010 Practical Caravan - Dealer of the Year

We instigated a small claims case against the dealer despite the caravan being over 3 years old and won. Maybe I was lucky. BTW a manufacturer warranty does nto over ride SOGA however you are correct about the hassle to get payment and also depends on the circumstances, but damp is probably regarded as an inherent fault as servicing does not prevent damp.

In addition, as far as I am aware the only things that are serviced on a caravan is the running gear. All the rest are only checks including the electrical, water and gas systems. I want to make it perfectly clear that I do not agree with people that do not have a caravan serviced on a regular basis as they may pose a danger on our roads.

Hang about there Sandy, Yorkshire should be first as its nearer to them ;)

Wakefield would be a handy place :D :D

Stanley just outside Wakefield would be even better.

Ian

It does make you wonder why we buy new caravans in the first place I don't know anyone that hasn't had issues with there new vans, the thought of having to go to court to fight for my rights to get jobs done make me even more determined to not bother with a new van.

As for Reads I bought my first second hand caravan from them a few years ago, sold as seen and I couldn't have had a better service from them they was brilliant, full service two new tyres no extra cost and they even fitted the number plate on for me when I went to pick it up.

First class service.

Hi All,

Can anyone please help?

After looking at not only my manual for my Caravan, but also my Brothers Swift caravan I am struggling to find anywhere that states I must have my caravan serviced by an AWS approved engineer, the reason I am asking this, apart from avoiding extortionate dealer servicing costs is that my brother who owns the Swift has had problems with GRP panel cracks and didn't have his caravan serviced by an AWS engineer, the dealer didn't want to know the problem due to this,my Brother challenged this as it doesn't say in his manual that it has to be serviced by an AWS or approved service centre, the dealer then capitulated and did the repairs.

Kerry

We are not currently in the AWS scheme and don't believe we will be looking to become a member anytime soon. We are overwhelmed with bookings. I can tell you that we have carried out score and scores of services on caravans under warranty, we have also been successful on every occasion we have had to identify a problem and the customer has returned the problem to the dealer, of the many we have done, only three customers have even been questioned as to the fact they had their van serviced by a none AWS service engineer but there problems were put right either by dealer or back at the manufacturer.

Its a question of experience, we present the information in such a way that its difficult to repute, our experience in the industry speaks volumes and we will continue to represent the customer in what ever way we can with many of the services we provide from pre purchase, independent inspections and mediation in order to achieve the best result for you the customer.

Simon