Keep Motorhomes Off White Pegs

poolebob

Arriving at a CC site after a long and difficult drive, we are told to pitch on any standard pitch which are marked by a white peg. Although only staying one night because it is very wet we drive around looking for a hard standing with a white peg but they are all taken, many by motorhomes. Plenty of non-awning hardstandings so we end up using one of them.

This sets me thinking. Why on earth do the CC allow motor homes to use hardstandings which are wide enough to take car, van and awning when the majority are only using a third of the width.

Surely a better system would be to set aside standard pitches for caravans only and make motorhomes use non-awning pitches.

Poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Having visited many CC sites and have booked a Awning pitch, only to be told by the warden that as I was only staying 1 night, and after they enquired as to whether I was putting an awning up and I wasn't, they switched my pitch to a Non Awning pitch, it was still a hardstanding. I accepted this. Just for the record I am a caravaner.

I wonder whether the Wardens on the network take the same stance. , i. e 1 night stay, no awning equals a non awning pitch and therefore leaves the awning pitches for those who are putting up an awning.

I do find the motorhomes as the worst offenders, I may be wrong and if I am, I apologies in advance.

Arriving at a CC site after a long and difficult drive, we are told to pitch on any standard pitch which are marked by a white peg. Although only staying one night because it is very wet we drive around looking for a hard standing with a white peg but they are all taken, many by motorhomes. Plenty of non-awning hardstandings so we end up using one of them.

This sets me thinking. Why on earth do the CC allow motor homes to use hardstandings which are wide enough to take car, van and awning when the majority are only using a third of the width.

Surely a better system would be to set aside standard pitches for caravans only and make motorhomes use non-awning pitches.

Poolebob

:goodpost:

Well said poolebob. This is a big bugbear of mine, which is why I'm glad that the CC are from next year trialling booking grass or hardstanding pitches.

You are quite correct in saying that they only use a third of the width, so perhaps the club in future could put in hardstandings wide enough just for motorhomes.

Tin hat on ready for the flack :ph34r:

Or just make the pitches a standard size fit for all. I know that this would reduce the number of pitches but would that make for a better experience on site?

Motorhome pitches are already assigned by the colour of the peg (not white)... Maybe the wardens didn't explain the coding too well.

Motorhome pitches are already assigned by the colour of the peg (not white)... Maybe the wardens didn't explain the coding too well.

Certainly not true on CC Sites where the colours are as follows.

White - Awning pitch.

Red - Service pitch.

Blue - Non Awning pitch.

Brown - Economy non electric pitch.

There are no designated pitches for Motorhomes, they can use any of the above.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

Why do they make caravans park nose out but motorhomes please themselves,

so you can end up car, caravan, awning . .... eyeball to eyeball with a motorhome

with their door/awning facing yours, very uncomfortable :rolleyes:

The choice of pitches by motorhomes is because many of them cannot get onto

a smaller pitch, just watch them trying to use levelling ramps :D

Why do they make caravans park nose out but motorhomes please themselves,

so you can end up car, caravan, awning . .... eyeball to eyeball with a motorhome

with their door/awning facing yours, very uncomfortable :rolleyes:

The choice of pitches by motorhomes is because many of them cannot get onto

a smaller pitch, just watch them trying to use levelling ramps :D

They don't make caravans park nose out except at Sandringham.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Poolebob

I book an awning pitch because I want an awning pitch. If I don't use an awning then I still want to use the space to put out tables and chairs. Also when the weather was hot I could, if desired, move the car to the awning side to sit in the shade where the car had been.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Perhaps they just want a little more space?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Or be radical, book the sort of pitch you want, check in and be told by the site staff which pitch you are on (or as is more the case a choice of a few) then be conducted to that pitch by a member of staff who might even help you manoeuvre onto the pitch.

He/she then tells you all you need to know about the site before going cheerfully on their way to deal with another arrival.

It might also save on that mad dash to be first there to get the "perfect" pitch

:rolleyes:

Oh and not forgetting very little of the formal car, caravan, awning layout

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Or be radical, book the sort of pitch you want, check in and be told by the site staff which pitch you are on (or as is more the case a choice of a few) then be conducted to that pitch by a member of staff who might even help you manoeuvre onto the pitch.

He/she then tells you all you need to know about the site before going cheerfully on their way to deal with another arrival.

It might also save on that mad dash to be first there to get the "perfect" pitch

:rolleyes:

That I would hate - with a passion!

Far too radical - it would never work!

Mind you, arriving on this CC site a week ago, on the hottest day of the year, inefficient wardens made me pitch up three times! I was nearly dead by the end of it. Two days later, we got an apology from the wardens after I stated I would never again stay at any CC site that employed any of the 8 wardens.

Rant over. ......

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm going to an affiliated site next week. I know which pitch I'll be on and have reviewed in on Google earth. If the site is busy surely that is much better than Easyjet-like jostling? If I wanted that I'd fly to Spain with Easyjet.

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Mind you, arriving on this CC site a week ago, on the hottest day of the year, inefficient wardens made me pitch up three times! I was nearly dead by the end of it. Two days later, we got an apology from the wardens after I stated I would never again stay at any CC site that employed any of the 8 wardens.

Rant over. ......

Is that all the info? Why did you have to re-pitch??

Alan

surely that is much better than Easyjet-like jostling

Keep up at the back! Easyjet is now all allocated seating, Ryanair has pre-bookable allocated seating

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

I know, but you knew what I meant!

4 sets of wardens, must be a big site? Hmmm, give us a clue :)

Is that all the info? Why did you have to re-pitch??

Probably due to being an inch away from the marker post :lol:

Probably due to being an inch away from the marker post :lol:

Or incorrectly pitched??

Alan

Totally agree with the motorhome point. Maybe if the non awning pitches were made cheaper it would encourage people without awninings to use them.

Bailey Olympus s11.

Towed by a Man City fanatic and his long suffering wife.

Whenever we've tried to book a non awning pitch for one or two nights they've all been booked, so we have had to book an awning pitch. Maybe they were all motorhomers. Certainly when we had our camper van and our Adria Compact we used a 3m square awning with it most times.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Why do they make caravans park nose out

They don't (or at least they're not supposed to)

I am away from home and so I don't have the latest magazine with me but I am sure that there is a news item to say that there is no rule that you must be 'nose out' and can go 'nose in' if you want to. Perhaps someone could confirm this . . . . . .

Sounds just like my visits to sites operated by the Camping and Caravanning Club . . . . . but they take deposits - and that's a whole different argument we've had time after time and don't want to go through all that again ;)

Rant over. ......

Tell us more !! Why would they make you move pitch 3 times ? I just cannot see how, why or what circumstances would make this happen, please tell .

I am away from home and so I don't have the latest magazine with me but I am sure that there is a news item to say that there is no rule that you must be 'nose out' and can go 'nose in' if you want to. Perhaps someone could confirm this . . . . . . ;)

We were told at Troutbeck recently we could either park offside rear to the peg or nearside front to the peg - we parked nose in to appreciate the views.

On the subject of non-awning pitches, there really aren't that many on any site - they're usually an odd one or two that are smaller (narrower) than standard pitches. I do think they should charge less though for this type of pitch. Coincidentally, Troutbeck has one pitch especially for very long motor homes, it doesn't have a special marker, but is coned off and you are told by the wardens the reason for this when checking in.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.