Alde Antifreeze

Fatles

I need to top up the the antifreeze in the alde heating system. Do you have to use their make, as it seems to be expensive, I have looked around and am considering using Comma G40 antifreeze and coolant.

Does anyone else use this or another alternative?

Les

No I would not due to my vans current status. I two years into my van's life, flushed and changed to a Comma 5 year Longlife product. I now simply plod along with the product I use.

However, if it was a more modern van I would be using G40 both to top up and refill with as required.
You can do this as G40 is compatible with both the early two year life and later 5 year life products.

What you can't do is mix the earlier two, and later five year products, but G40 meets a newer specification that mixes with either.

Comma G40 is readily available from auto factors, so that is a good practical reason to select that brand.

Edited by JTQ

JTQ

Thanks for that I have a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB. Would I be able to just add the Comma G40 or would I need to drain it down and refill it with Comma G40. If it needs draining how do I do that.

Thanks

Les

Being 2012 then it is a pretty sure bet it was charged with two year life product and that therefore it is due for a change.

So it would be "best" to drain it out and refill with G40; there is no need to flush if using G40 as the refill.

However getting it refilled and bled can be tricky, not difficult but tricky as air will get trapped in raised sections and the bleeders may or may not be there or are difficult to find.

I have done it but I know its really frustrated others.

Alde sell to the trade a pump powerful enough to force the fluid round and so purge most air with it, something the on unit circulating pump is not designed to do.

So DIY-ing people have contrived pipes and funnels so that they can "displace" the old fluid with the new, never letting the system be anything but full so avoiding any air and with it air locks.

Which way you go depends on how brave you are; and it helps if others with you van can identify where the bleeders are.

Just topping up will do no harm but it will not replenish much of the corrosion inhibitors which because these age is the reason for changing the fluid at all. The antifreeze element never ages.

I drained mine flushed with water twice the refilled it a systematically bled it till the pump was able to get the new fluid circulating. My biggest job was finding then accessing the bleeders, the designer had not thought it out well! With G40 all that flushing is not needed.

Edited by JTQ