Remove Internal Water Tank,replace With Whale Or Similar System

BurstnerBloke

Hi all

I am investigating removing the onboard tank on our Burstner caravan and replacing it with a whale or similar system. Currently I fill the tank using a rigged up submersible pump in my aquaroll powered by the van battery. I am doing he job twice and the locker space could be better used.

Just one query really, looking at the kits available I don't know whether they would be suitable as the on board tank has a meaty Reich Tandem pump in it. - would other pumps not be powerful or suitable?

Suggestions and further advice would be appreciated

Cheers

BurstnerBloke

Could you fit an onboard pump with the minimum of fuss, just need to stick 12v on it (presuming you have an appropriate switched fused feed) and re- route the pipes a few inches? Pressure switch already built in.

We recently fitted one of these to a horsebox, had to fit a whale damper just after the pump but I guess you'd already have one in? If not they are only about £20.

We fitted the 10L p/m to supply a combi for the shower but they do a variety of models

http://www. thecaravanshop. co. uk/waterpumps/accessories/shurflo-water-pumps/cat_16. html

post-55551-0-83408900-1407932468_thumb.jpg

Edited by sleepyfolk

Thanks sleepyfolk, that is a really good idea. I think I might be able to get away without any drilling as I can use the existing filler tube as the inlet from the aquaroll.

If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions I would be most pleased to hear them

Cheers

BurstnerBloke

Having gone from two vans, Hymer and Fendt back to a Uk van without I cant understand why anyone would want to do it (remove the tank) I really miss it . The Hymer was the best of both worlds where the tank or an outside supply could be used with a changeover switch.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Thanks David

My problem is I haven't got a changeover valve / option. If I did have then it is long gone as the van is secondhand. That might explain why I want to do it.

I have a 40l onboard tank, with a Reich tandem pump (16L 1. 4 bar). I fill this tank using my diy lead powering up a whale sub pump in the aquaroll and filling through the tank filler cap on the side of the van. The tank is not partitioned so I always drain the water off when in transit.

At the moment I am thinking of one of these http://www. whalepumps. com/rv/product. aspx?Category_ID=10006&Product_ID=12&FriendlyID=AquaSmart- but given the Reich pump spec I an confused as to what pump might be suitable. Maybe ring whale later.

Cheers

BurstnerBloke

I can understand your train of thought about draining the tank for traveling.

I travel with mine full but for short journeys I do drain and travel empty only to save on nose weight. Most of the caravaners I know here, who have onboard tanks, travel with them full. The thing I like about my onboard tank is the water is not warm in hot weather nor can it freeze in the cold and is out of harms way from dogs, cats etc.

I don't intend removing mine, I refill mine with a submersible pump, I didn't know you could use a changeover switch, But I will be looking into that now

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Thanks to all who have responded.

The tank is coming out, I need advice on what onboard pump system might be suitable.

Cheers

BurstnerBloke