Am I Right In Thinking ........

Whatters55

Morning caravanners, just taken outfit to public weighbridge and got the following figures . ..

Total weight of outfit 3540kgs

Weight of caravan unhitched 1620kgs

Milenco noseweight gauge says 70kgs

My Gross train weight on vehicle plate is 3860kgs

Therefore after transfer of noseweight 70kgs to car, the towing weight of caravan would be 1550kgs ?

Vehicle weight therefore would increase from 1920kgs to 1990kgs leaving available payload of vehicle at 320kgs .

Am i correct in my calculations ???????????

Luckily we are all different

Your gross train weight will include a maximum tow weight, and this could be more than your van weighs.

You need to use your gross vehicle weight (also on the VIN plate) to determine how much payload you have left in the car.

Edit: Strictly speaking you should not deduct the noseweight from the caravan to determine it's towed weight - there are a number of boring references to EU directives on this forum if you can be bothered to search for them. However, I understand when you are pulled over by VOSA for a weigh-in they do not disconnect the caravan when weighing each axle in turn, so the noseweight will be transferred to the car.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

No the caravan would still be 1620 kg as its mass would not change . The axle weight would be reduces but as said transferred to the tow vehicles weight.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I thought this was an exam paper for GCE mathematics !!! sorry Whatters i could not resist it

Les

Les