Road Tax & Driving Licence

SuperJock

Just reading an article on the phasing out of the tax disc, this starts in October.

As soon as you buy a car, new or second hand, you have to tax it. If you have part exchanged your car then you will automatically get a refund on the outstanding tax.

However at the end of the article it says the paper section of the driving licence will be phased out from January 2015, I didn't know this.

ANPR will police it. How often do you see police looking at disc now?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I didn't know that either but as all our records are now held electronically I suppose that would make sense too.

Does mean though that if you're hiring a car they would have to access your driving record rather than you show the piece of paper, but in reality that should take about the same amount of time.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Can't find owt on Jan 15! This from DVLA:

From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on a vehicle windscreen. If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle windscreen and destroyed. Customers with a Northern Ireland address will still need to display their MoT disc.

Article at:

https://www. gov. uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Sorry wrong link - this is their 'changes' page

https://www. gov. uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensing-agency

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

ANPR will police it. How often do you see police looking at disc now?Dave

Not very often. Mrs W's car hasn't had a tax disc for about 6 weeks as it flew out of the window while she was driving down the motorway with the roof down. Due to a cock up at DVLA, she hasn't been able to purchase a duplicate until now. No police stop as the car is registered as having been taxed.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Mrs Griff's car needed a new disc holder recently, I had my sights set on a 25p plastic thing off the market. ...not good enough.

Had to be one of these designer state of the art carbon fibre jobs with encrusted diamantes around the edge.

If only I had have read about it earlier I just might have won the ensuing argument . .....maybe not though.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Griff, you could always turn it into a necklace and give it her for Christmas!! :D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Most people are fully aware of Vehicle Excise Duty, but apparently road tax is still the most common term people use today when referring to VED.

Does this mean we will now get speeding fines and the like through the post. because some scroat has put our number plates on their car, because with my number plates on a same make/model car could drive through any ANPR and as long as my car is legal, they get away with it.

Or have I missed something?

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Does this mean we will now get speeding fines and the like through the post. because some scroat has put our number plates on their car, because with my number plates on a same make/model car could drive through any ANPR and as long as my car is legal, they get away with it.

Or have I missed something?

They always could it's quite common. That's why they introduced the law requiring proof of ownership V5 etc when buying number plates

knarf

It seems that if we borrow or hire a car the driver is responsible for checking it is taxed. It is the driver who is fined. How can this be easily done without the disc? Do we trust the owner.

I have just hired a car to drive in Italy in a few weeks. I have to trust that the car is legal for the country. Same thing I suppose.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Anpr have lots of different databases, the tax one is very unreliable due to motor traders using cars on trade plates so often isn't used, if it was used the motorway officers would just be stopping lots of vehicles everyday wasting their time, the other databases are far better and allow for more serous crimes, end of the day if you car is registered but not taxed, dvla already know, I often see the dvla enforcement van driving round. He has a list of cars without tax and goes looking. For police to seize for no tax it has to be 2 months out of date, dvla can clamp it or seize it.

Mrs Griff's car needed a new disc holder recently, I had my sights set on a 25p plastic thing off the market. ...not good enough.

Had to be one of these designer state of the art carbon fibre jobs with encrusted diamantes around the edge.

If only I had have read about it earlier I just might have won the ensuing argument . .....maybe not though.

My MIL bought me a new Tax disc holder last christmas as a stocking filler . I explained that they will not be needed and she said "no wonder they were cheap on offer " :lol:

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I personally never bothered with no tax database these days as after 14 years policing I have found more untaxed cars by walking around the streets that being pinged on anpr

It seems the government has a sneaky way of increasing revenue as a new VED has to be purchased when a sale is made. The seller can recover any unused complete months and the purchaser has to buy, presumably from the start of the month in which the sale takes place. So both the seller and the purchaser will be paying VED for the same month.

Brian

They always could it's quite common. That's why they introduced the law requiring proof of ownership V5 etc when buying number plates

knarf

Yes and a complete waste of a good law considering that number plates can be made so easily by just about anybody and of course they can still be nicked off a car or trailer too. Only way this will ever reduce is when the plate becomes an integral part of the car with the number programmed in electronically or something, and then of course there will always be somebody somewhere who can beat that too. It will just require a bit more effort than the average joyriding scrote can muster.

Want a rear plate ? Dead easy, just visit a caravan site, could be days maybe weeks before thats noticed, front plate a bit harder maybe but not much.

Yes and a complete waste of a good law considering that number plates can be made so easily by just about anybody and of course they can still be nicked off a car or trailer too. Only way this will ever reduce is when the plate becomes an integral part of the car with the number programmed in electronically or something, and then of course there will always be somebody somewhere who can beat that too. It will just require a bit more effort than the average joyriding scrote can muster.

Want a rear plate ? Dead easy, just visit a caravan site, could be days maybe weeks before thats noticed, front plate a bit harder maybe but not much.

So am I correct in thinking

Two identical cars with same reg plates, one taxed, tested,and insured and the other on road illegaly, but, undetected.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

So am I correct in thinking

Two identical cars with same reg plates, one taxed, tested,and insured and the other on road illegaly, but, undetected.

Yes, been going on for many years, commonly referred to as cloning. Happened to a friend of mine - he got a few speeding tickets from roads in the South. Fortunately he could prove he was a couple of hundred miles North at the time using the data from the tracker in his car and it was discovered his car had been cloned. No need to nick the plates just get them made up once they know it matches the same vehicle - often picked up from online adverts or maybe specific forums.

It seems that if we borrow or hire a car the driver is responsible for checking it is taxed. It is the driver who is fined. How can this be easily done without the disc? Do we trust the owner.

I have just hired a car to drive in Italy in a few weeks. I have to trust that the car is legal for the country. Same thing I suppose.

John

It is now possible to check, on line, the insurance, tax and MoT state of any vehicle. ......

http://ownvehicle. askmid. com/

https://www. gov. uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

John

If a prosecution is issued on the basis of an ANPR it will obviously go to the holder of the vehicle. In that case the driver would not get involved in having to prove that the vehicle is properly taxed and licensed.

If a prosecution is issued on the basis of an ANPR it will obviously go to the holder of the vehicle. In that case the driver would not get involved in having to prove that the vehicle is properly taxed and licensed.

I take your point but the article I read, (if it is correct) said the driver, not the owner, would be fined.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.