Olympus 2 Lighting Question ...

Rael

Just got our new van, 2012 Olympus 540-5, off tomorrow for a couple of days away to get to know it.

One question . ... around the underside of the cupboards in the front lounge there is a translucent strip which looks like it should be a light, but it doesn't light up. I think there's one above the dinette area as well. There's no switch related to it that I can find so perhaps it's meant to illuminate with the main lights? Or perhaps it's not actually a light of course.

Nothing in the handbook so I thought I'd ask here, thanks.

Edited by Rael

There are no lights in the strips. You can have led strips fitted. Bailey sell the strips and the switches. Believe it is because the units are similar (possibly the same) in the pegasus which does have the lighting.

Aha, thanks - it was really bugging me! Will have a look at the Bailey site, think it would be a good upgrade.

Our Oly has the LED's fitted and they do create a really nice light.

We have them around the seating and over the sink, and I will buy and fit some in the bedroom when I get a chance.

:-)

We rarely, if ever, use the main lights, except in the loo.

I would be honoured if you could spare a few pounds to sponsor me.

I am playing in a charity ice hockey match in July in aid of Help For Heroes

Please text STGO94 £2 to 70070 or visit justgiving. com/SteelerGoalie94

Thanks, sounds good, and the strips aren't too dear, about £8 each from Bailey. Is the wiring already installed?

I believe you will need to take a feed from the current lighting circuit. I couldn't find any wiring in mine

Thanks Steve.

While we are on the subject of Olympii . .. We are out in it for the first time and can't get any hot water. There's flow through the tap, I've switched on the 230v switch to the left of the sink . .. is there another step? Breakers are OK, handbook is no help

I have LED's in tubes in my 2009 Pageant in front lounge and over sink and on opposite side. We are currently sitting reading by these LED's and, as said above, very pleasant light and better than main bulbs in the lounge.

Water - sounds like the 240V element in tbe heater is kaputt. Can you use a multimeter to test there is 240V supply to tbe heater. Careful not to lose your Life Insurance No Claims Discount :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

There is also a dual rocker switch to set the heat below the 230v switch as well as the truma store switch below the seat.

In our Olympus 530-4 the one below the seat is for electric and I think the other one is for gas - 50 or 70 degrees. There is also a fuse below the main switch so you could try that if the other switches don't give you hot water.

Good luck

The led is a good thing. We had those in our s1 olly, and the s2 version has the space, but obv penny pinching didn't include it.

For the hot water you need to turn the 240v switch on (near the sink), and also turn the switch on to either high or low at the bottom of the seat squab nearest the sink (on the right as you look towards the front inside the van).

Hope that helps

There's a switch under the seat? I can't see one.

Hang on, what's behind that bag . ..... ummm :-)

THANK YOU! (to everyone who suggested it - shame you don't write the manuals for Bailey, all mine says is to switch on the 230v switch and that you can't adjust the temperature, no mention of the extra switch hiding behind a Sainsburys bag at all!). What bright spark thought it was a good idea putting the switch down there when all the others are grouped together by the sink?

In my defence I've been on nightshift all week, collected the van a couple of days ago (when I should have been sleeping) and then haven't looked at it till we arrived on site with it tonight.

Warm water at last . ... maybe even a shower . .. bliss!

Thanks Steve.

While we are on the subject of Olympii . .. We are out in it for the first time and can't get any hot water. There's flow through the tap, I've switched on the 230v switch to the left of the sink . .. is there another step? Breakers are OK, handbook is no help

On the subject of the heater.

We tripped out our element due to connecting to a hook up when the water heater mains switch was still in the 'on' position.

Internet wisdom suggested disconnecting from the mains, waiting for a period of time, and then reconnecting.

That didn't work - even after days of standing on the drive with no mains power suplied.

I thought that the element must have burned out - but our mobile serviceman said that it was often necessary to disconnect the supply to the water heater inside the van, by uncoupling the in-line mains connection (inside the wardrobe, in our case)

He had no idea why that worked when disconnecting the entire van from mains supply did not - but, for whatever reason, it does work.

He disconnected ours, left if a minute or so, and bingo, the heater worked again after reconnection.

It wil cost you nothing to try - and it's odds on that it will solve the problem (assuming that the previous owners tripped out the element in the way we did)

EDIT - I didn't read your last post in which you found the switch :D

Still, disconnecting the heater supply might come in handy if you (or anyone else reading the thead) ever need to reset the element internal trip.

Edited by Eddiewin88

Rael- Hope you enjoy the 540-5, I have had mine for 18 months now and it is turning out to be a great van for me, the wife and the two little ones (5 and 7 yo). Quick question - does your van have the MTPLM upgrade - its worth getting - think it cost me £25 but it gives you a lot more weight allowance - takes your MTPLM upto 1500kg which is the max the single axle/chassis combination can be.

Richard

We are loving it Richard, a few niggles needing fixed (dealer PDI was . ... somewhat lacking) but it's a fantastic van. Struggling with the towing, my Passat has plenty of power but it's quite unstable above 50mph. Weight plate says 1450 so not upgraded. Does the upgrade need done when it's new or can it be done anytime? Not sure what's involved, presumably uprated suspension?

Upgrade is just a sticker and a piece of paper. You can order it direct from the bailey website.

Hmm, I guess the point is that it keeps you legal up to a higher weight? I am confused though, if the van can take that weight without modification, why isn't it rated at 1500 in the first place?

As steve says there is no physical changes - just a recertification from Bailey - your dealer should be able to do it for you if you cant do it direct through Bailey.

Wrt towing - the Olly 2 can be temperamental until you got the weight distribution just right, make sure your nose weight is as close to your maximum allowed and ensure heavy items are over the wheels. I tow with a seat alhambra and have no problems but if I tow with my Insignia estate it gets a little unstable with the same weight distribution and things need to be changed around.

For towing I put the dinette table down and use the space under it and on top of the cushions (I put a tarp over them) to store my outside chairs etc - the nearside of the van tends to be lighter in design than the driverside as that is where your heater, fridge, oven and water heater are - thus if balance not right can make the van unstable - also I always tow with the toilet flush empty as this adds a lot of extra van behind the axle - 1l of water = 1kg. I also use gaslight bottles (available from homebase) which saves nose weight over steel bottles. I have just come back from 2 weeks in France and used less than 1 bottle, on electric hhok up pitches

Hmm, I guess the point is that it keeps you legal up to a higher weight? I am confused though, if the van can take that weight without modification, why isn't it rated at 1500 in the first place?

The cynic would say that it is a way to get extra money but there is also the issue of advertised van weight being lower and thus making the van more attractive to those with medium size tow cars

I believe you will need to take a feed from the current lighting circuit. I couldn't find any wiring in mine

We had a 2010 Pegasus, I put LED above the fron seats, took power from the nearby spotlights, quite easy to do. If I remember correctly, you have to be a little bit careful when removing the transculent cover.

We are loving it Richard, a few niggles needing fixed (dealer PDI was . ... somewhat lacking) but it's a fantastic van. Struggling with the towing, my Passat has plenty of power but it's quite unstable above 50mph. Weight plate says 1450 so not upgraded. Does the upgrade need done when it's new or can it be done anytime? Not sure what's involved, presumably uprated suspension?

I was *very* interested to hear about your towing stability problems - as that is also our experience with our Olympus series 1

The van is great in every other respect - but towing is a real chore (and I have a fair bit of towing experience with different vans and cars)

We have a 2014 Tiguan. Power is no problem but,, as in your case, the van begins to feel really unstable over 50 mph.

It is so noticeable that I even took the car back to VW shortly after our first towing experience with it because I assumed that it couldn't possibly be so bad, and that it must have arrived from Germany with something not properly tightened on the suspension :D

Needless to say the car was fine. We also had the tow bar checked, and went through a series of other checks that inolved replacing all the Alko friction pads, checking the damper, ATC, caravan suspension, etc etc.

We've tried just about every loading permutation there can be - and have managed to improve things a bit, but the feeling of instability is always there.

It's especially infuriating when people tell me what a fine tow car the Tiguan is! Perhaps it is - but not when hooked up to a Bailey Olympus it ain't!

Perhaps it's an Alutech thing?

Perhaps it's an Olympus thing . .... according to the Towcar info site the Tiguan should be a good match weight-wise, and they have a very short overhang as well.

Hmm.

Perhaps it's an Olympus thing . .... according to the Towcar info site the Tiguan should be a good match weight-wise, and they have a very short overhang as well.

Hmm.

Yes, it *should* be good - but, in fact, it feels very unsteady and sometimes nerve racking to tow with.

I mentioned 'Alutech thing' because there also seem to be reports of other Alutech vans not towing too steadily.

One might suppose that the extra rigidity of the Alutech structure would be an advantage. ... but. .......

Whatever the cause, I'd just like to get to the bottom of the problem and be able to tow without feeling that the van is about to start snaking.

The Tiguan is the '4-Motion' variant, btw - which provides 10% permanent power to the rear wheels in normal conditons, so the outfit *should* be even more stable than the 2WD version.

I was *very* interested to hear about your towing stability problems - as that is also our experience with our Olympus series 1

The van is great in every other respect - but towing is a real chore (and I have a fair bit of towing experience with different vans and cars)

We have a 2014 Tiguan. Power is no problem but,, as in your case, the van begins to feel really unstable over 50 mph.

It is so noticeable that I even took the car back to VW shortly after our first towing experience with it because I assumed that it couldn't possibly be so bad, and that it must have arrived from Germany with something not properly tightened on the suspension :D

Needless to say the car was fine. We also had the tow bar checked, and went through a series of other checks that inolved replacing all the Alko friction pads, checking the damper, ATC, caravan suspension, etc etc.

We've tried just about every loading permutation there can be - and have managed to improve things a bit, but the feeling of instability is always there.

It's especially infuriating when people tell me what a fine tow car the Tiguan is! Perhaps it is - but not when hooked up to a Bailey Olympus it ain't!

Perhaps it's an Alutech thing?

have you tried towing a different caravan?

We tow a Unicorn Valencia with a 2013 Tiguan 4 Motion Diesel, our first tow the driving seemed very lose on the rear of the car during our time away we had a first service and the rear tyre pressure was increased, and I also moved some load weight forward.

We have just returned from a 4 month trip to Far North Queensland covering over 11500k's normal towing speed for us is around

100k's/h (60mph) and the car is just fine